Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires

(Read 513 times)
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « on: April 16, 2006, 04:25 PM »

"Former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez has announced her retirement, a day before her 34th birthday.
The former world number two caused an upset when she prevented Martina Navratilova from winning her 10th Wimbledon singles crown in 1994.

Martinez, the only Spanish woman to win a Wimbledon singles title, also reached the final at the Australian Open in 1998 and the French Open in 2000.

She won 33 singles titles in her career, the last in Thailand in 2005. " THE BBC

Anyone remember her. I remember watching her Wimbledon final watch. I was younge then....er. Well I always liked her atttitude and how she just played for the fun. Itll be sad to see her go.

IP Logged
rochelle
Top Seed

Andy and Jamie

Re: Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 04:42 PM »

i no of her but i dont remember her my self from wimbledon bit young i think
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 04:43 PM »

I remember seeing her play a few times. Missed that match. wasn't interested in any otehr tennis but tim henman at that age (i was only 8 )
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:31 PM »

Definitly heard of her even though i was 3 when she won Wimbledon Rolling Eyes

But dad says it was a good match.  =D> So Wink
IP Logged
Tommy
World No 1

woo hoo

Re: Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 02:01 AM »

Well considering who she beat, Which was the nine time Wimbledon champ Martina Navratilova. She oviously had some skill.
IP Logged
Tennis-Player
ATP Level

Re: Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:21 PM »

It was very suprising that she won Wimbledon in '94... it was a bit unexpected I think as grass wasn't her best surface.

She's had a very consistant career, always a tricky customer on her day, and a few years back was one of the top players. Always a little sad when a champion retires, but guess it comes to every player.
IP Logged
arka
Re: Conchita Martinez, 1994 Wimbledon Champ retires « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:05 AM »

For some strange reason I had heard of Conchita when she won Wimbly. Thats really odd actually.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »