Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb General discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Down Reply
Author

DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb General discussion

(Read 3642 times)
Elena
Seed

I missed all the action yesterday, but was amazed and delighted to see the result. Well done Dan, team GB and Captain Smith.

Andy has gained 250 points this morning, Rotterdam 0 gone, and Queens 250 added. Nice!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Canada lost to Franch 1-4. Oi. Not a proud moment there not that I care all that much, really. Would have been nice to see Raonic against Tsonga.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Just back from Braehead after the 3 day extravaganza. Compared to last time, not a Murray in sight, but who needed one?! GB did the job anyway. Was sat very close to the teams and wish I had a pound for every bacon buttie I saw Evans munch his way through this weekend-  someone needs to look into that boy's diet :-)  No nerves at all though, very unusual in a British tennis player. Nothing seemed to faze him, it was very refreshing to watch.
At the end , with the GB team on the court, they announced a 'special thank you from the LTA for your support' (at that point I wondered if we were getting free temporary membership or a pen or something!)- and then they announced Belgium at Braehead in April. Was utterly gobsmacked- the 4th in a row, but, hopefully,  will be getting tickets this week.
A great weekend was had  by all- oddest sight of the week was seeing a collection of Slovakian team and support team filling carrier bags with goodies in the M&S food hall on Sat evening after the dubs!

Got back home last night, was pleasantly surprised at the weekend, good DC tie but I personally think "the Murray factor" was missing, not the same buzz and excitement as the previous two times, although Sunday was great, a real mixture of ups and downs.  James Ward's matches were not great quality and as soon as Lacko went up through the gears the result was ominous.  Dan Evans was brilliant, really exciting aggressive play, nice mix up of shots etc.  Thought Andy's trainer Jez Green was so funny orchestrating the cheerleading from the Stirling and Glasgow uni crowd.  Was really shocked when they announced at the end that the next tie would be played there, it's a wining formula so can see why.  Leon Smith is a true captain, the team spirit is evident for all to see, he is doing a great job.  Real selection headache for him if Andy says he can play, who does he drop- I would say Ward as surely Evans deserves another shot.  Mind you April is difficult schedule wise for Andy, he will make the decision based on his own commitments as he strives for that GS, and quite right too.  The other guys have stepped up and they needed to do it.  Will buy tickets for the next tie when they come out and hope that Andy can play......
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Well done to Dan Evans especially as no-one gave the poor little bugger a chance!

Would like to refer my learned freind to a post I made on 1st February! I said he was a tryer and he certainly proved that over the weekend. Fantastic atmosphere, am glad we are going back in April and hope Dan is in the team.!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

My thoughts at this moment are only with Ak400.....your hurt is my hurt.! yay

GB wins Davis Cup and Federer with the hump loosing two matches and the tie just a perfect weekend!!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

So, so excited about, and chuffed for Dan Evans.  clap
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

I have booked hotel and will also be buying tickets for April. I dont believe Andy will play its too close to the start of the Clay court season. I dont think we will see him until September (if we play then) Definately think Dan should be rewarded with another go. He was great in both games showed the spirit and guts needed in Davis Cup.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

^It really was a great event, Tessie, even without Andy.  And... I could look at Ross Hutchins forever and never get bored!  Wink
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

I got 2 tweets from Ross Hutchins lol... look Smile  wohoooo my first tweets from pro  tennis player Smile

https://twitter.com/#!/RipKaz44/status/169023707539456000

https://twitter.com/#!/JohnKiernan4/status/168768815214235648
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Ah - Bums - can't access them unless you sign up.  What was he saying? 
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

I said well done team GB  and I included Ross and Colin in the tweet Smile and then Ross replied "thanks it was brilliant!! "  
then I said well that was nice of Ross to tweet me... then I said  wohoooo my first tennis player tweet  lol Very Happy then he replied... "ha ha! thanks" Smile
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

I said well done team GB  and I included Ross and Colin in the tweet Smile and then Ross replied "thanks it was brilliant!! " 
then I said well that was nice of Ross to tweet me... then I said  wohoooo my first tennis player tweet  lol Very Happy then he replied... "ha ha! thanks" Smile
They do seem like such nice guys and that makes it even better!  So pleased for the whole team - and I do think it spurs them on not to be in a big player like Andy's shadow.  Makes them work harder and be the best they can be.  All good stuff!  Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

I got 2 tweets from Ross Hutchins lol... look Smile  wohoooo my first tweets from pro  tennis player Smile

https://twitter.com/#!/RipKaz44/status/169023707539456000

https://twitter.com/#!/JohnKiernan4/status/168768815214235648

I got one from Dan Evans about bacon sarnies. He only started on Twitter this morning.

In my time, I've also had tweets from Judy Murray, Andrew Castle, Neil Harman and Jimmy Connors.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

I think it is an astute idea to hold the April tie in Braehead again.  Now that the team has won 3 times there consecutively, when they play there again, the good feelings will return especially for Dan so will maximise the chance of the team winning again.

If I was Andy, now that the team is close to getting back to the World Group and Belgium is a relatively easy opponent, I would play on the condition that Dan being the 2nd Singles player.

To gauge how well Dan did over the week-end, here are ranking points over the last 12 months earned :

Dan Evans   : 163 points
Martin Klizan: 474 points ==> 2.9x Dan points
Lukos Lacko : 706 points ==> 4.3x Dan points

Dan has beaten two people who have earned around 3 to 4x the amount of points he himself has earned.  This is why Mecir said Dan did not play like someone who is ranked 276.  If Dan is able to keep a cool head and continue to work hard, top 100 beckons.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

I had a tweet from Neil Harmann and I've still got it AND I bet my dad is bigger than your dad.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »