Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb General discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Down Reply
Author

DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb General discussion

(Read 3723 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Really thought Evans would blow that 5th set but he regrouped magnificently. Presumably, with the push for promotion, there's a good chance Andy will play from now on?
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Great result, I was delighted to see Dan winning, he thoroughly deserved the win, this will really help him in his future matches. Great confidence booster. Andy will be thrilled and feel better about having to miss playing this time.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Well done to Team GB!  yay Dan played so well this weekend - he fought so hard today when he'd lost the third and fourth sets and deserves so much credit for winning the fifth the way he did.

This is a positive from Andy not playing this weekend - if he had, then Dan wouldn't have played and he'd have missed out on this massive confidence-booster. Smile

I agree Katie - fantastic confidence boost for Dan.  I really thought it was all over when he lost the 3rd and 4th sets - so gritty of him to come back.  Well done Team GB!!   yay yay yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

I thought Dan did really well.  Although I can't say I care too much about DC I was really pleased that the team won without Andy.  It takes the pressure off Andy and just think had Andy been playing Dan wouldn't have played and wouldn't have experienced this enormous boost to his career and confidence.  I think it's important that the other players learn to do it for themselves at this level and this is what has happened.  So hopefully no more snide comments (pretending not to be) from the likes of Andrew Castle about Andy not playing.  The victory means so much more for the team than had Andy carried the main weight of it.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

So, Easter weekend, it has been comfirmed, we're back at Breahead! lol

I thought Dan did really well.  Although I can't say I care too much about DC I was really pleased that the team won without Andy.  It takes the pressure off Andy and just think had Andy been playing Dan wouldn't have played and wouldn't have experienced this enormous boost to his career and confidence.  I think it's important that the other players learn to do it for themselves at this level and this is what has happened.  So hopefully no more snide comments (pretending not to be) from the likes of Andrew Castle about Andy not playing.  The victory means so much more for the team than had Andy carried the main weight of it.

People seem to be forgetting that GB number 3 Jamie Baker would probably have replaced Andy if he (Baker) wasn't recovering from injury...
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

US a whoppin 5-0 over the Swiss team and this was on clay which begs the question, since when US players play better tennis on clay than the Swiss? Though Harrison forced two TBs but sill, a straight set win. Strange times.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

To be fair, Rafa has his fair share of being a bit ungracious at times.
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Just back from Braehead after the 3 day extravaganza. Compared to last time, not a Murray in sight, but who needed one?! GB did the job anyway. Was sat very close to the teams and wish I had a pound for every bacon buttie I saw Evans munch his way through this weekend-  someone needs to look into that boy's diet :-)  No nerves at all though, very unusual in a British tennis player. Nothing seemed to faze him, it was very refreshing to watch.
At the end , with the GB team on the court, they announced a 'special thank you from the LTA for your support' (at that point I wondered if we were getting free temporary membership or a pen or something!)- and then they announced Belgium at Braehead in April. Was utterly gobsmacked- the 4th in a row, but, hopefully,  will be getting tickets this week.
A great weekend was had  by all- oddest sight of the week was seeing a collection of Slovakian team and support team filling carrier bags with goodies in the M&S food hall on Sat evening after the dubs!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

This is so bizarre but Milos' tends to get 'injured' every time he's to face a top player. He went to Chennai of all places to play a challenger event there. Just a coincidence I suppose given that no other top player was there.

I was very much looking forward to this Tsonga vs Raonic match but oh well. This is now becoming a notorious trend of his. I don’t think he wants his game to be exposed right now.  This would have been their first meeting and the surface was ideal for both.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

I'll admit when Slovakia took the 4th set I thought it was over.  Huge congratulations to Dan and GB.  I really hope Andy is around for the next tie.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Tsonga finally takes the first set. The surface looks very slow.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Evans above, we,ve won. yay

That's got to be a newspaper headline if ever I saw one! lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

So, Easter weekend, it has been comfirmed, we're back at Breahead! lol
I'm delighted - but isn't this likely to cause a bit of controversy?  It doesn't seem very fair to me that other venues aren't getting their share of DC ties, but, that said, I reckon they got plenty of that before Braehead came into existence!

People seem to be forgetting that GB number 3 Jamie Baker would probably have replaced Andy if he (Baker) wasn't recovering from injury.
I was aware of that, but, whilst I hope Jamie makes a quick and full recovery, he inadvertently did Evans a huge favour.

That's got to be a newspaper headline if ever I saw one! lol
Had a quick look online, but so far no newspaper has come up with that one - but then, these are the more "sedate" newspapers!  This one from The Guardian, with the whole article -

Superb Dan Evans leads Great Britain to thrilling Davis Cup win

Dan Evans produced one of the most extraordinary performances in Great Britain's recent Davis Cup history to beat Martin Klizan 6-1, 6-1, 4-6, 3-6, 6-3 and give Leon Smith's side a 3-2 victory over Slovakia at Glasgow's Braehead Arena.

The visitors were favourites going into the tie but Evans, ranked 276th in the world, got Britain off to a superb start by beating Lukas Lacko on Friday and looked set to seal the win in style when he raced through the first two sets.

But Klizan, the world No120, turned things completely on their head in sets three and four before Evans somehow found a way back in the decider, clinching victory after two hours and 53 minutes before being held aloft by a delighted British team.

Britain's hopes rested on the Birmingham player after James Ward's straight-sets defeat by Lacko earlier in the day, which had left the Europe/Africa Zone Group I tie level at 2-2.

The victory, Smith's fifth in a row since taking over the captaincy from John Lloyd two years ago, means Britain will play Belgium at Braehead in April for a place in the World Group play-offs.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 13, 2012, 02:23 AM ] IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

I'm surprised and very happy that it will be at Braehead again.  We have been pretty spoiled. I just hope that when we get back to the World Group we all get a chance to see team GB.  I'd hate to see all the ties go back to England.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

@toady thanks so much for your "on the spot" commentary on what happened. Always gr8 to read a resume from a fan who was there clap
And Dan, well what can you say toot
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »