Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup

(Read 1270 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 12:55 PM »

I think whoever loses will to into the relegation play-off.

Russia's top 5:
Youzhny (#25)
Davydenko (#48)
Bogomolov (#88)
Andreev (#96)
Kuznetsov (#116

Doubles:
Elgin (#60)
Bogomolov (#89)
Youzhny (#122)
Kudryavtsev (#152)
Donskoy (#173)

Russia's team in their 5-0 loss away to Brazil:
Bogomolov, Andreev, Gabashvili and Vovk. Think

Their team in the 3-2 loss away to Austria back in February:
Bogomolov, Youzhny, Davydenko, Kunitsyn. (Though strangely it was Bogomolov and Kunitsyn that played the singles and Davydenko and Youzhny in the doubles...)
[ Last edit by Allan September 19, 2012, 01:05 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 02:43 PM »

Can't believe we have another home tie. And I can only see Andy playing if it's on clay.
Me neither!  As for clay tennis courts - (a) where are the suitable venues in Britain? and (b) from a weather point of view, probably not a wise idea. 

I agree with MH, for the reasons he stated @ 12:10pm today, that there's no point in Andy playing unless he has to if it comes down to a relegation play-off.  Team GB is at the level it should be at the moment.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Me neither!  As for clay tennis courts - (a) where are the suitable venues in Britain? and (b) from a weather point of view, probably not a wise idea. 
It is possible to build a clay court in one of these indoor arenas such as Braehead or the O2. Serbia have played ties in Belgrade Arena on both a hard court and clay court.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 03:19 PM »

Thanks for the info.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 03:56 PM »

http://www.daviscup.com/media/130090/130090.pdf

This is the draw (seems like no or just a little chance for a meeting GB/NL... Frown !)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 05:51 PM »

Hi All,

I might be being thick, but why would GB choose clay? They are the hosts, so surely they can pick the surface. Even if Andy plays, which in my book he shouldn't feel compelled to do (Frew whatsisname will open his mouth if Andy doesn't play, but who cares?), I wouldn't imagine he'd pick clay, would he, assuming he had any say?

According to the reports the venue is yet to be decided. My money is on the Braehead arena. They've played some good stuff there, and the students are always a laugh.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 06:12 PM »

I feel that Andy will only play if it is on clay or there is a clay court to practice on. Though if Andy does play then he should win his matches no matter what surface it is on.
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 06:48 PM »

Didn't see the February bye coming, nor the home tie in April.  The BBC website says that whoever wins the tie will play for promotion in Sept. I can never work the Davis Cup out!

As I only live 10 minutes away I'd love to see them back at Braehead, but the sniffy comments when they played there last time  for the 4th tie in a row make me doubt this will happen. We need Dan Evans to reproduce his form from last Feb... highly unlikely, but what a weekend that was!
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 07:12 PM »

Didn't see the February bye coming, nor the home tie in April.  The BBC website says that whoever wins the tie will play for promotion in Sept. I can never work the Davis Cup out!

As I only live 10 minutes away I'd love to see them back at Braehead, but the sniffy comments when they played there last time  for the 4th tie in a row make me doubt this will happen. We need Dan Evans to reproduce his form from last Feb... highly unlikely, but what a weekend that was!

What a weekend that was, have been to all four ties at the Braehead and enjoyed them all especially the ones that Andy played in.  From a selfish point of view would love to see it at the Braehead but the unselfish part of me says that is not really fair to the rest of the country.  Think they may go to the Braehead to try and entice Andy back !!  What a homecoming that would be !
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 07:15 PM »

Hope Andy doesn't play.  If we lose I think we can't get relegated as it's only the losers of the 1st Round who go into relegation play-off and we have a bye.  As a country, we're in the right Group and there's no point Andy getting involved until there's a better No.2 playing with him.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 07:24 PM »

omg   I want to go. hopefully  I will Very Happy   DC ties are the best.
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28 PM »

Looks like Braehead is free that weekend.

I think whether Andy plays or not will depend on how his season is going up to that point. Am sure I recall him saying when he announced he wouldn't be playing in Feb this year that 2012 was a year of consolidation for the team in Group 1, the hard work would be next year, ie 2013. And of course there's the Lendl factor, who knows what he will think. Aren't the April ties the week after Miami? He might just want to chill out there a bit.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 09:58 PM »

Hope Andy doesn't play.  If we lose I think we can't get relegated as it's only the losers of the 1st Round who go into relegation play-off and we have a bye.  As a country, we're in the right Group and there's no point Andy getting involved until there's a better No.2 playing with him.
Well Portugal had a bye this year and they just played (and lost) a relegation play-off.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 02:44 AM »

Looks like Braehead is free that weekend.

I think whether Andy plays or not will depend on how his season is going up to that point. Am sure I recall him saying when he announced he wouldn't be playing in Feb this year that 2012 was a year of consolidation for the team in Group 1, the hard work would be next year, ie 2013. And of course there's the Lendl factor, who knows what he will think. Aren't the April ties the week after Miami? He might just want to chill out there a bit.
I really can't see Andy wanting to play in April.  Next year is going to be pretty tough for him, perhaps even tougher than this one.  He's taken the step up he needed to win his maiden Slam but now he has to build on that win and go the next step up and win another.  It may not just be a simple case of the floodgates opening as so many have predicted, although there's no doubt that the way has now been cleared slightly by the possible retirement of Federer, if not this year then almost certainly at some point next (at least that's what I feel) and the fact that Nadal may take a while to get fully back to action after such a long lay-off.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 06:51 PM »

I'd prefer Murray focused on his own career and progressing that.... rather than playing Davis Cup. I'm a tennis fan ....but don't really care much for the Davis Cup. The LTA/British tennis authorities didnt do much for Murray when he needed them sooo...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »