Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup

(Read 1232 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 07:04 PM »

I've always thought that Andy's priority should be his own career. I mean, with all due respect, are we likely to win the Davis Cup? I would be suprised in all honesty. Therefore, I think it's right if Andy focuses on what he can do, which is win majors.

Don't get me wrong, it's clear to me that Andy enjoys playing for GB. He showed that superbly at the Olympics, but it frustrates me that the onus for the Davis Cup is dumped on Andy, when it shouldn't be. One player doesn't make a team, with all due respect to the others.

I'm also inclined to think the others are more likely to step up if Andy doesn't play. I'll never forget watching Dan Evans play his heart out last February. That was stunning.

It would be brilliant to see Andy play in many ways, I'm sure he would be welcomed with open arms, especially if it was at the Braehead, but I don't think he should be made to feel as if he has to do it, when he patently doesn't.
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 08:55 PM »

I really enjoy Davis Cup, irrespective of who is playing for GB. Always have, the first I remember was GB v Italy at Wimbledon back in '76.

Did Andy burst into tears when being interviewed last July because it was Davis Cup or because he was playing at Braehead? Who knows. Did he play last year just to qualify for the Olympics? Possibly. It's his career and his choice.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10 PM »

My guess is Andy will feel he ought to play for Leon and for the team.  It's the week after Miami so he'll be used to playing on hard courts and he would still have 10 days or so to practise on clay before Monte Carlo.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Andy should do what is right for him and shouldn't have to deal with people who don't think whatever he does is wrong or right.  If he is fit and well, and can play Davis Cup - great.  If doing so compromises bigger things, then no.  I'm absolutely sure his Davis Cup team mates would agree.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 01:00 AM »

I really enjoy Davis Cup, irrespective of who is playing for GB. Always have, the first I remember was GB v Italy at Wimbledon back in '76.

Did Andy burst into tears when being interviewed last July because it was Davis Cup or because he was playing at Braehead? Who knows. Did he play last year just to qualify for the Olympics? Possibly. It's his career and his choice.
He had to play last year, whether he wanted to or not, in order to qualify for the Olympics.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup « Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02 PM »

I hope they announce the venue soon so I can look into maybe booking the week off and going.  Really wanna see Rosco playing in the doubles.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »