Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup Final discussion! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Spain - 7 (87.5%)
Czech Republic - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup Final discussion!

(Read 2325 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Davis Cup Final discussion! « on: November 15, 2012, 12:28 PM »

So who you guys going to be supporting for the win this weekend? Vamos Spain for me!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:47 PM »

Spain for me too! Though a win for the Czech Republic is long overdue (the last time they won was when Lendl was still playing). I think the Czechs are favourites in this tie. They've put down a very quick surface - Ferrer says it's the fastest he's played on all year.

The doubles will probably be crucial. Very interesting match there - the world tour finals champions against (probably) Berdych and Stepanek who are so successful in the Davis Cup as a team. Paes and Stepanek beat Lopez and Granollers at the tour finals last week too.

But Spain should never be counted out. I remember no-one giving them a chance in Austin last year where the Americans put the quickest surface they could down and Spain won all their singles matches! They've got fantastic team spirit and they're guaranteed to fight until the last point for the chance of victory.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Not really interested in the Davis Cup matches, but my support would always be for Spain:)
Really missin' Rafa, man.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:32 PM »

^ Me too, Zarfeen. Looking forward to Rafa coming back.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Rafa's supposed to be starting training on court again next week so that's positive news. Will be glad to see him back on the tour again. Smile

Apparently Feliciano Lopez is annoyed that he's not been selected for the singles, saying that he'd have a good chance of beating Berdych on the fast surface. He's got a winning record over Berdych too. But Almagro's been key to the team this year and has had a very good year so I can see why Alex Corretja picked him.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 03:33 PM »

Aww, that is bad. Lopez had a very good chance.
Can challenge anyone's game..
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:55 PM »

The Czechs. Bored of Spain's domination.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:57 PM »

Almagro's had a great season compared to Lopez' very mediocre one. Would have been a disgrace to drop him after he played his part in getting them to the final and their respective seasons, regardless of court. Corretja made the right decision.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 04:47 PM »

Almagro's had a great season compared to Lopez' very mediocre one. Would have been a disgrace to drop him after he played his part in getting them to the final and their respective seasons, regardless of court. Corretja made the right decision.

Yeah I agree there - he's been just outside the top 10 all year and had a good autumn on the indoor courts too. Before Marc Lopez and Marcel Granollers emerged as a doubles team, Spain used to get around problems like this by fielding singles players in the singles and doubles - often Nadal and Ferrer in the singles ties and then Verdasco and Lopez in the doubles - but if one of the singles guys didn't play well on the first day, then those put down for doubles could step in. Now they're restricted to the two singles players they nominate but on the plus side they've got a better chance in the doubles (the last few ties that Lopez and Verdasco played really weren't good).
[ Last edit by Katie November 15, 2012, 04:55 PM ] IP Logged
DaveH
Satellite Level

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:56 PM »

It's $9.95 for a weekend pass at http://www.itfteamevents.tv . A bit expensive, but I'd like to watch it. Unless anyone knows of a free stream?

Stepanek v Ferrer - SPAIN
Berdych v Almagro - CZECH REP
Minar & Rosol v Granollers & Lopez - SPAIN
Berdych v Ferrer - ??
Stepanek v Almagro - SPAIN

Think Spain will win even if Berdych wins both his matches, but it will be fun if it goes down to the last match.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 06:00 PM »

I wrote about the Davis Cup on the Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1403135-davis-cup-why-it-needs-a-new-format?search_query=davis%20cup
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Nice article Nigel Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 06:37 PM »

I am not a DC fan but if I were to pick, I'd go with the Czechs. Spain just bores me these days.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Don't really follow it tbh, but it's more Tennis, I like Tennis, so I will watch... simples
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup Final discussion! « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 10:11 AM »

I enjoyed the Davis Cup matches yesterday. Almagro really pushed Berdych to the limit. I never expected it to be so close - I think it was a combination of Almagro playing very well and Berdych feeling the pressure. The court surface doesn't seem to be hindering the Spanish team at all.

The doubles are crucial today for the Czechs - if they lose, I can't see them winning the tie.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »