Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup - GB v Hungary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup - GB v Hungary

(Read 4083 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #105 on: September 17, 2011, 10:55 AM »

if the Aussies (currently 2-1 up) can beat the Swiss (I know, big ask) doesn't that mean we would play the Swiss next year (assuming we win promotion)?
Assuming we get promoted and they don't then we could. Depends on the draw though.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #106 on: September 17, 2011, 11:21 AM »

Seemingly, Djokovic was too tired to honour his commitment to the Serbian team.  Interestingly, he is the only one of the 4 semi-finalists at the A.O. not to.  I do find that quite surprising, especially as he has been saying all season that it was Serbia's DC win that sparked his individual success this year.

Yeah, much as I want to rail him for not playing I can believe he's shattered Shrug but you'd have thought he'd have found the energy when he makes such a deal of being Serbian and of supporting DC
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #107 on: September 17, 2011, 11:45 AM »

If he doesn't play, looks as if Argentina is going to win. Might win if he plays anyway, of course.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #108 on: September 17, 2011, 12:04 PM »

Good for tipsy - he had to withdraw injured from the quarters at AO, when he had taken a set from Djoko - but he managed to play for his country.  That's twice Djokovic has ducked the DC recently. 
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #109 on: September 17, 2011, 02:46 PM »

Thanks, everyone. Being a very newbie here, I wasn't sure how much "eye witness account" would be appropriate!

Having rehydrated (!) and slept on it, there were a couple of other things I didn't mention last  night.

Oliver Golding was presented to the crowd and interviewed before the Tie proper started, don't know if they showed that on the telly. He got a great reception. He spoke about how he had 'warmed the guys up' earlier, I thought  that was a nice touch by Leon Smith, to have the boys along.

James Ward, on reflection, really did well to win his match. The result looked in little doubt, although he looked a bit heavy legged, until he tweaked his ankle, then the cramping, then leaving the court (a friend texted me to say the commentators said he'd been sick....we had no idea what was going on). To come back after losing that 3rd set showed great determination; I wouldn't want to spectate after throwing up, let alone play. It was such a shame his opponent cramped up in the final game, took the satisfaction off the result a teeny bit.

Andy was tired, and probably jet lagged, and it showed by the 3rd set. Not that anyone would blame him for that, and the crowd got more Murray for their money, but it doesn't do the blood pressure any good!

I read somewhere last night that Andy says he is not sure if he is going to play reverse singles. I don't think anyone can blame him for that, but there will be a lot of disappointed children, I hope someone is able to explain to them his reasons for not playing (if that happens) rather than let them think he has let them down...! I realised this morning I have never seen so many kiddies at a tennis match before. Thinking cynically, that may be the 'free child ticket with each seat purchased' policy, but there were lots of kids there from tennis clubs, and the mum of two very small children sitting behind me said she hoped it didn't go on too late because she had to get hers to tennis lessons at 9am today (and of course the Dunblane Primary kids, for whose tickets the Murrays paid.) Here's hoping the LTA (in this case, Tennis Scotland) can build on this enthusiasm in an area where historically the only sport acceptable to kids has been football. Today, the seemingly inexhaustible Judy Murray (she was everywhere last night,providing the inbetween matches filler with some mini tennis kids and Fleming and Hutchins and even getting her pic taken with a Stirling Uni guy and his 'Judy is a babe' t shirt) is opening a renovated local court in Paisley, where for miles around, up till now only private clubs have had decent playing facilities. My 3 year old grandson demanded a 'tennis bat' after Wimbledon, so I bought him a plastic set, and he periodically runs around his house yelling he's 'playing at being Andy Murray', yet when we asked the Mini Tennis people on their stand at Braehead yesterday where the nearest mini tennis was held, they had no idea and suggested I contact Tennis Scotland.  I hope the LTA can build on this enthusiasm and make tennis here more accessible to kids.

Anyway, having ranted and bored you all to tears, need to start  organising for today. My daughter has been granted honorary Stirling Uni status- they are bringing her a tshirt today-even tho I moved seats to get away from them! We've got 3 day tickets but I have given my 3rd day ticket to the kind person who has been babysitting the grandson to let my daughter attend. Even tho it's raining, am going for the sub-tropical wardrobe; here's hoping that will fend off heat exhaustion long enough to see GB  win the tie and gain promotion!  yay yay

Boring?......Never......We love these personal accounts! Thanks again!
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #110 on: September 17, 2011, 03:35 PM »

Interesting to note that Nadal managed to play, and win, for Spain this week.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #111 on: September 17, 2011, 03:40 PM »

Yeah, much as I want to rail him for not playing I can believe he's shattered Shrug but you'd have thought he'd have found the energy when he makes such a deal of being Serbian and of supporting DC
Good for tipsy - he had to withdraw injured from the quarters at AO, when he had taken a set from Djoko - but he managed to play for his country.  That's twice Djokovic has ducked the DC recently.  
I can't believe what I've just read.  Djokovic had every intention of playing for Serbia right up until the last minute when he was forced to pull out because of exhaustion, jetlag and back and rib problems.  Because of all the commitments he had to fulfil in the US - the price that he had to pay for his win there - he only managed to get back to Serbia, where he had to go through more celebrations, 24 hours before the tie started.  He had hoped to recover in time to play but even he is a human being and that just became impossible.  Given his incredible achievements this year, I'm sure the people of Serbia will forgive him.

Interesting to note that Nadal managed to play, and win, for Spain this week.
Unlike Djokovic Nadal was able to leave the US soon after the final.  Also Nadal wasn't carrying any injuries.

Boring?......Never......We love these personal accounts! Thanks again!
I totally second that!  Thanks Toady for taking the time to give us not one but two first-hand reports. Smile

[ Last edit by Aileen September 17, 2011, 03:45 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #112 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23 PM »

Just heard the results of the doubles rubber.  Well done Fleming and Hutchins for sealing GB's win of this tie yay yay   I think Andy will play tomorrow, and hopefully Wardy.  At least they've had a day's rest and there's now no pressure on either of them.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #113 on: September 17, 2011, 04:28 PM »

Yep, well done the boys!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #114 on: September 17, 2011, 04:40 PM »

Hooray  cmon yeah And really glad it wasn't all down to Andy as it has been in the past. Also, really, really glad that cold fish (!) John Lloyd has gone and been replaced by much warmer and more positive Leon, Andy's old coach. All good thumb up
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #115 on: September 17, 2011, 07:19 PM »

Loved the chest bump. lol
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #116 on: September 17, 2011, 07:43 PM »

I can't believe what I've just read.  Djokovic had every intention of playing for Serbia right up until the last minute when he was forced to pull out because of exhaustion, jetlag and back and rib problems.  Because of all the commitments he had to fulfil in the US - the price that he had to pay for his win there - he only managed to get back to Serbia, where he had to go through more celebrations, 24 hours before the tie started.  He had hoped to recover in time to play but even he is a human being and that just became impossible.  Given his incredible achievements this year, I'm sure the people of Serbia will forgive him.
Unlike Djokovic Nadal was able to leave the US soon after the final.  Also Nadal wasn't carrying any injuries.
I totally second that!  Thanks Toady for taking the time to give us not one but two first-hand reports. Smile

I just get very irked by commies constantly banging on about Andy's lack of previous commitment to DC when other leading players don't seem to get any adverse comment when they don't play.  Andy played 3 rubbers against Poland in 2009 with an already injured wrist and was subsequently out of the game for 2 months.  I don't see that as lack of commitment but after today's match Frew MacMillan was holding Djokovic, Nadal and Federer up as paragons of virtue who always play for their country no matter what - they don't!
[ Last edit by Alis September 17, 2011, 08:18 PM ] IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #117 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59 PM »

Back from Day 2! the arena much cooler today, thank goodness, my pet steward told me they had had numerous complaints yesterday and you could certainly hear the air con in action.

Not much Murray action to mention, apart from a bit of banter with the Stirling guys. (was in shock there a while back as the report on BBC news showed my daughter highfiving the boys when they entered the arena- bit of a surprise!) Andy  left the arena as soon as the business was done, didn't hang around today. Judy was all over the place, holding a mini tennis display/participation for kiddies in the Shopping Mall before the match started, then in her usual seat for the match.

Really enjoyed the tennis today. Possibly even more kids there today than yesterday, the stewards much more relaxed.  Fleming and Hutchins did well, but they never really looked like losing, imho.  Great to see them in action, and winning, and gaining promotion!

This team seems to get on well, off court...was watching them over the past 2 days as they sat on the sidelines and there's lots of chat, and smiles, and laughs as they watch their team mates. Leon Smith seems to be doing a good job.

I know Braehead has been spoiled with the 2 most recent ties, but now we have promotion I really hope they play some ties here in the future.  It's been a privilege to have been involved as a spectator in these last two ties, and it would be good to see Braehead build as a tennis venue.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #118 on: September 17, 2011, 08:17 PM »

I suspect the next home tie will be played in England, Toady - I can't see the powers that be allowing Scotland to have the venue three times in a row but then miracles do happen!
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #119 on: September 17, 2011, 08:29 PM »

I agree with your thinking Alis. However,the LTA must have roped in some considerable income from Braehead- the 6 days up here have been sell outs...and I can just hear the old England v. Scotland thing starting up with 'we were good enough to host the ties and support the team when we were in Group 2, but not good enough once we get promoted'. Just get that feeling!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »