Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup - GB v Hungary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup - GB v Hungary

(Read 3746 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #120 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08 PM »

I just get very irked by commies constantly banging on about Andy's lack of previous commitment to DC when other leading players don't seem to get any adverse comment when they don't play.  Andy played 3 rubbers against Poland in 2009 with an already injured wrist and was subsequently out of the game for 2 months.  I don't see that as lack of commitment but after today's match Frew MacMillan was holding Djokovic, Nadal and Federer up as paragons of virtue who always play for their country no matter what - they don't!
I do recall Andy playing against Poland and thereby aggravating his wrist injury, but he didn't exactly show much commitment to playing in the DC last year when he opted out of both ties "in order to focus on his career".  Yes, I know he also did this because he felt it was time for the other British players to step up to the plate, but the rules of the DC actually state that each country is expected to put forward its best players in these ties, unless they are unable to play because of illness or injury.

I admit I don't know Djokovic's record for DC ties, but as far as I'm aware it's only been injury that's stopped Nadal from playing, and as for Federer - well,  he recently incurred the wrath of the Swiss tennis authorities for skipping so many ties, but then Federer's rather arrogant attitude is well known.  He's been forced to play now in order to represent Switzerland at the Olympics, as tennis players are required to represent their country in at least one DC tie in the year prior to the qualifying date of March 2012.  Also Serbia, Spain and to a lesser extent Switzerland, don't have the same problem with their countries' players that Britain has.

However, you might find this piece of news re Djokovic of interest -

BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — Defending champion Serbia avoided elimination from the Davis Cup semifinals by beating Argentina in straight sets in Saturday's doubles. Now the team is hoping Novak Djokovic can lead a comeback in the best-of-five series.

Nenad Zimonjic and Viktor Troicki defeated Juan Ignacio Chela and Juan Monaco 7-6 (4), 6-4, 6-2 to cut Argentina's lead to 2-1 ahead of the reverse singles on Sunday. That's when the top-ranked Djokovic is expected to play Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro in the first match ... Djokovic was seen warming up for a training session at Belgrade Arena after Serbia's doubles victory.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #121 on: September 17, 2011, 10:15 PM »

Thankyou Aileen for all the information you provide us with. It really is appreciated.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #122 on: September 18, 2011, 12:09 AM »

And thank you, Jan.  Fortunately I have more time than most to hunt around for information, so it isn't a problem. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #123 on: September 18, 2011, 03:13 AM »

Hooray  cmon yeah And really glad it wasn't all down to Andy as it has been in the past. Also, really, really glad that cold fish (!) John Lloyd has gone and been replaced by much warmer and more positive Leon, Andy's old coach. All good thumb up
I like this statement from Leon, and also that, thanks to Fleming and Hutchins, Andy will have a much easier time of it today.

From a report on The Scotsman website of the doubles rubber -

The two singles matches this afternoon may be dead rubbers but there were no celebrations last night and Murray will still play in his reduced, best-of-three-sets match. It is a measure of how seriously the team are taking things. "There is still work to be done," explained Smith. "It's important to go out and play well. People have paid good money to come along and it is televised and we need to keep making a statement."

IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #124 on: September 18, 2011, 12:52 PM »

Decent chance of me being on TV today. At the end of the court, 3rd row from the front!
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #125 on: September 18, 2011, 12:55 PM »

PS Fleming's playing the 5th match  instead of Ward.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #126 on: September 18, 2011, 12:56 PM »

Cricket on Eurosport at the moment - hope they're still going to show the tennis!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #127 on: September 18, 2011, 01:07 PM »

I like this statement from Leon, and also that, thanks to Fleming and Hutchins, Andy will have a much easier time of it today.

From a report on The Scotsman website of the doubles rubber -

The two singles matches this afternoon may be dead rubbers but there were no celebrations last night and Murray will still play in his reduced, best-of-three-sets match. It is a measure of how seriously the team are taking things. "There is still work to be done," explained Smith. "It's important to go out and play well. People have paid good money to come along and it is televised and we need to keep making a statement."

If Andy plays in a dead rubber today it just shows what commitment he has to Davis Cup.  He will be out there because people have paid money to come to see him and because he is dedicated to the team.  I don't think it is any secret that Andy and John Lloyd have never really hit it off and fell out after the Poland match when Andy had put his body on the line for GB without a lot of thanks for it.  I'm not a bit surprised that he didn't play in 2010 after that and it certainly was time for other players to have a chance to cut their Davis Cup teeth in a less demanding group.  At the moment, we don't have a team that can survive in the E&A Group 1 without Andy.  Nadal has played 2 matches this weekend because it looked as though Spain might not qualify for the final without him - it looks as though Djokovic will play today for the same reason.  If their countries could have got through without them they wouldn't have played - neither of them have made any bones about that.  The only thing that annoys me is that there seems to be one rule for Andy and another for everyone else!  All this, of course, is merely my opinion - I am sure others will see it totally differently!
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #128 on: September 18, 2011, 02:17 PM »

Off topic but it says in the Sunday Express that Rafa is thinking of sacking uncle Toni!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #129 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39 PM »

Oh our Andy! Plays like an idiot game 2 second set, plays like a genius game 3 clap
Clearly really tired so good for him turning out for a dead rubber, probably more for the home crowd than anyone else.
Go and get some rest Andy and come back ready to push Fed off his perch Whistle
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #130 on: September 18, 2011, 03:06 PM »

What was the score in the end?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #131 on: September 18, 2011, 03:38 PM »

Oh our Andy! Plays like an idiot game 2 second set, plays like a genius game 3 clap
Clearly really tired so good for him turning out for a dead rubber, probably more for the home crowd than anyone else.
Sorry I had to miss this.  Well done Andy!!

Amazing news from Belgrade though - Delpo beat Djokovic 7-6 and was 3-0 up in the second when Djoko collapsed onto the court and then retired.

Off topic but it says in the Sunday Express that Rafa is thinking of sacking uncle Toni!
Now that is very interesting ... Think
[ Last edit by Aileen September 18, 2011, 03:47 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #132 on: September 18, 2011, 03:46 PM »

What was the score in the end?
7-6(7-3), 6-3.  Here's an "as it happens" account of that match and Fleming's -

http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/GB-v-Hungary-as-it-happens/180911---Sunday---live-updates-As-it-Happens/

And Fleming does it! yay
[ Last edit by Aileen September 18, 2011, 04:26 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #133 on: September 18, 2011, 04:48 PM »

Gr8 to see the rather attractive Mr Fleming playing some lovely volleys and winning comfortably clap Good to hear The Proclaimers blasting out too Smile  Rather prefer to hear Kate Bush's lovely anthem than "God Save the Queen" too. I find it horribly outmoded and unsuited to the changing times we live in.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Davis Cup - GB v Hungary « Reply #134 on: September 18, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Yes.......I think you're absolutely right BBH! Saved me from saying the same thing! I did think Andy looked very tired and 'drawn' all weekend! I hope he manages to get a good rest !
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »