Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April

(Read 2951 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #105 on: April 08, 2012, 06:46 PM »

More like Championship vs League 1/2.

What's happened to the final rubber? Have they decided not to play it? Would've been nice to see Evans got on in a 3-setter against Darcis.
Bemelmans beat Evans 4&4.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #106 on: April 08, 2012, 06:48 PM »

Ah right cheers, wasn't showing the score anywhere for some reason.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #107 on: April 08, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Sitting in hotel after a disappointing afternoon for British tennis. Thought I would shares a conversation I had with a lady from Aegon who supports the team  Andy wanted to play and would have had there been a clay court up here he could have done some practice on. She said Leon tried to sort it but was gutted he couldnt do it in time  The boys we had did their best  but without Andy this group is where we belong. Ross could have played better in the doubles but they got the win. Some of the officials especially the male umpire left a lot to be desired and the Belgium drums were a pain! Apart from that good weekend shame about the result.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #108 on: April 08, 2012, 07:20 PM »

Just looked at the result.  Disappointed but not in any way surprised.

Sitting in hotel after a disappointing afternoon for British tennis. Thought I would shares a conversation I had with a lady from Aegon who supports the team  Andy wanted to play and would have had there been a clay court up here he could have done some practice on. She said Leon tried to sort it but was gutted he couldnt do it in time  The boys we had did their best  but without Andy this group is where we belong. Ross could have played better in the doubles but they got the win. Some of the officials especially the male umpire left a lot to be desired and the Belgium drums were a pain! Apart from that good weekend shame about the result.
Interesting what you say about Andy.  Not sure it would have been a good idea for him to keep changing surfaces though if he was practising on clay and then playing his matches on hard court.  In fact I'm a bit surprised he even considered it because it isn't something he likes doing.  At least it shows that he was willing to play.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #109 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Look we all have to realise that if Andy had played and GB had won, in the next round we would have lost. In Davis Cup you cannot rely on one player only you have to have a solid team.  I get so cross to hear that the commentors are complaining that Andy did not play, he and lendl know it is a lost course GB do not have the team to progress. It is so sad, the French, Belgium spain have so many top players why noy GB something wrong somewhere!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #110 on: April 08, 2012, 08:23 PM »

I agree JD - we only just survived in the World Group when we had Henman and Rusedski and that was hard going.  I think for a year there might have been an overlap when Andy was first involved but, realistically, unless you have at least two world class singles players and a decent doubles pairing you are on a hiding to nothing.  What about some of our juniors?  Wasn't Andy only 17 when he first played - isn't it time to blood the likes of Olly Golding?

IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #111 on: April 08, 2012, 08:44 PM »

I agree too, Andy is quite right not to play in DC. GB is going to have more player who are capable of doing this. As you say the Spanish,French, and other countries seem to product good players in abundance. There must be something that is not being done correctly. It seems that perhaps we should be sending coaches to school and getting youngsters involved in tennis. It is obvious that starting them young will keep them interested in the game, like the programs that Judy Murray is involved in. More facilities are required if we are going to attract youngsters to the sport.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #112 on: April 08, 2012, 09:12 PM »

Look we all have to realise that if Andy had played and GB had won, in the next round we would have lost. In Davis Cup you cannot rely on one player only you have to have a solid team.  I get so cross to hear that the commentors are complaining that Andy did not play, he and lendl know it is a lost course GB do not have the team to progress. It is so sad, the French, Belgium spain have so many top players why noy GB something wrong somewhere!
But would we necessarily have won even if Andy had played?  Yes, he'd have won his singles matches, but that still leaves the other two singles.  And there was no guarantee that Fleming/Hutchins would have won the doubles.  They did, but it was a pretty tight match.  The blunt truth is that Andy's efforts could have been in vain just like they were in the 2009 Poland tie, where he aggravated a wrist injury as well.

I agree JD - we only just survived in the World Group when we had Henman and Rusedski and that was hard going.  I think for a year there might have been an overlap when Andy was first involved but, realistically, unless you have at least two world class singles players and a decent doubles pairing you are on a hiding to nothing.  What about some of our juniors?  Wasn't Andy only 17 when he first played - isn't it time to blood the likes of Olly Golding?
Yes, he was 17 - and he and partner David Sherwood beat the world No.8 pairing of Ehrlich and Ram in 4 sets, giving GB a 2-1 lead.  Captain Jeremy Bates couldn't decide whether to play Rusedski with Sherwood or rest him for the reverse singles, but decided to take a gamble on Andy.

"I've never been involved in a match like that, either on or off the court" - Jeremy Bates

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #113 on: April 08, 2012, 09:27 PM »

But would we necessarily have won even if Andy had played?  Yes, he'd have won his singles matches, but that still leaves the other two singles.  And there was no guarantee that Fleming/Hutchins would have won the doubles.  They did, but it was a pretty tight match.  The blunt truth is that Andy's efforts could have been in vain just like they were in the 2009 Poland tie, where he aggravated a wrist injury as well.

Spot on Aileen - there was absolutely no guarantee that we would win the doubles and all Andy's efforts would have been inv ain.  We just can't build a credible DC team around one singles player.  Having said that , I'm sure Andy will do his utmost to play when he can and, hopefully, we can stay in the group we're in at the moment.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #114 on: April 08, 2012, 09:39 PM »

At the moment, with Andy, GB would possibly be a world group team but it wouldn't be a certainty. Without Andy, I think we're a Group 1 team but we would be closer to Group 2 than the world group.

I also think that Belgium are a world group side, especially with Goffin playing to his potential.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #115 on: April 08, 2012, 10:01 PM »

That's us just back home after a 3 hour journey home (via petrol station and burger king!).  Bit of a disappointing end to the tie, but the gulf in class is there for all to see.  Reality needs to be faced, with Andy and the doubles team tam GB could do it, without Andy it ain't going to happen.  It's complete madness for Andy to have to commit to every tie, he is the fourth best player in the world and consistently in the latter stages of tourneys, which if you are ranked 200/300 in the world you are not.  GB cannot sustain being in a higher world group.  It's a pity that Evans could not have played first this afternoon as I think he has potential and is a great shot maker.  By the time he played the dead rubber the atmosphere was flat and obviously there was nothing to play for.  Goodall was never going to be able to beat the Belgian who by the way was a high quality substitute for Rochus,  he was broken in each set when serving at 1-1.   Once again the uni students were tremendous, they really do help make the atmosphere for the whole weekend.
Enjoyed the weekend but obviously not the result, but Andy defo did the right thing in not playing, his preparations for the forthcoming clay court are far more important.  You cannot build a team around the one talent we have in British tennis!!!  To the Eurosport comms, GET A LIFE, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, stop dissing Andy, you lot were not even fit to lace his tennis shoes so therefore have no idea about his preparations etc.  He does not owe the LTA anything, they ruined his brother's young years, Andy did his own thing and became a success.  The only people he owes are his family who put everything into making him the success he is today. 
So no more DC this year, would like to see the young kids given a chance next time, if your good enough your old enough!!!!

Have some cracking video footage of the uni students and Jez Green belting out Loch Lomond, let me know if you are interested and I will post them.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #116 on: April 08, 2012, 10:02 PM »

Spot on Aileen - there was absolutely no guarantee that we would win the doubles and all Andy's efforts would have been inv ain.  We just can't build a credible DC team around one singles player.  Having said that , I'm sure Andy will do his utmost to play when he can and, hopefully, we can stay in the group we're in at the moment.
No, Alis, GB won't play again this year.   Had we been beaten by Slovakia as well, there would have been a relegation play-off in the autum against Portugal, and Andy did hint that he would be available to play later on in the year, if necessary.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #117 on: April 08, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Well done MM....hope you,ve got tomorrow off for Easter.
Your report backs up what I seen on the telly
Andy did the right thing on missing this tie, he can't be held responsible.
Enjoy the rest of your night.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #118 on: April 08, 2012, 10:08 PM »

Have some cracking video footage of the uni students and Jez Green belting out Loch Lomond, let me know if you are interested and I will post them.
Yeah, go on. I'd be surprised if I don't laugh. lol
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #119 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Hey, Davis Cup is less of a team sport than we all think.

Consider this: if we were in the World Group, Andy would expect to win both singles against every team except perhaps Serbia and Spain (and that's assuming the Djoker and Rafa even play). We've then got a world top-ten doubles pairing who can hold their own against anyone.

Not a World Group team?  Think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »