Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April

(Read 3471 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « on: March 28, 2012, 02:46 AM »

INFORMATION: The tie, which will take place at Braehead Arena, Glasgow, will be broadcast by British Eurosport.  Tickets are still available to purchase by calling 0844 499 1700 or visiting http://www.lta.org.uk/fans-major-events/Davis-Cup/Ticket-Details/

First - definite confirmation that Andy won't play

Andy Murray to miss Great Britain's home Davis Cup tie against Belgium to practice for clay-court season [Telegraph, 27 March]

The tennis fans of Glasgow will have to make do without local hero Andy Murray next week, when Great Britain play their latest Davis Cup tie at the Braehead Arena. As for Leon Smith, the team captain, he will deserve every accolade if he can steer his men through this match against a far more experienced and powerful Belgian outfit.

Murray has opted to stay in Florida — where he beat Gilles Simon on Tuesday to reach the quarter-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open — and practice with his new coach, Ivan Lendl, in preparation for the clay-court season. He knows that Davis Cup defeat would not be a disaster, because Great Britain cannot be relegated from Europe/Africa Zone Group One whatever happens.

“I spoke to Leon early in the year,” Murray explained recently, “and I said that the goal this year would be to try and stay in the group that we’re in. Yes, we could be in the World Group [the elite nations, one step up from Group One] but just now I believe that this is really the level that we’re at.”

Second -

AEGON GB Davis Cup Team announced to face Belgium [LTA website, 27 March]

Leon Smith, Captain of the AEGON GB Davis Cup Team, has today named his players to face Belgium in the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Euro/Africa Zone Group I tie from 6-8 April 2012 at Braehead Arena in Glasgow:

The team will be:

* James Ward
* Dan Evans
* Colin Fleming
* Ross Hutchins

This is the second round of the Euro/Africa Zone Group I, with the winners advancing to the World Group Play-offs which will take place from 14-16 September.

Leon Smith commented: “After the last win against Slovakia the team were on a real high but we are now fully focussed on preparing for the tie against Belgium who we know will provide an altogether new challenge.

"It will be a real step-up against an opposition who is higher ranked than us, but if the team can put on some fine performances as they did against Slovakia, then we have a real chance of qualifying for the World Group Play-offs.

"We will give it absolutely everything and with the home crowd support behind us, we are very much looking forward to a hugely exciting tie.”

AEGON UK Group Marketing Director, Paul McMahon, added: “As supporters of tennis at all levels in Great Britain, we’ve been delighted to see the progress that Leon Smith and the AEGON GB Davis Cup Team have been making. Belgium will provide a real test, I’m sure, but hopefully home advantage at Braehead will give the team a lift again.”

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:45 AM »

I think Andy is absolutely right in reaching his decision, but, probably inevitably, some newspapers are making discontented noises about it, with The Sun shrieking that Andy has dealt Britain "a hammer blow", because by withdrawing he'll be depriving us of the chance to go up to the World Group.  Belgium is going to be tough, but then nobody thought we would beat Slovakia without him.  It's a long shot, I admit, but not impossible.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01 PM »

And my ticket for the Saturday arrived today Very Happy My brothers birthday present for me Smile
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:17 PM »

I think the next tie needs to be away from Braehead. It's served GB well so far and I understand that the crowd is passionate up there, but it needs to move around. What are the Welsh tennis fans like? Any decent facilities in Cardiff? lol
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:05 PM »

Any confirmation on Belgian's side? Got three top 100 players and a couple of up and coming players between 100-200 (Goffin reached the QFs of Chennai in January IIRC). Hopefully Rochus sits out.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:24 PM »

Any confirmation on Belgian's side? Got three top 100 players and a couple of up and coming players between 100-200 (Goffin reached the QFs of Chennai in January IIRC). Hopefully Rochus sits out.
Sorry to dash your hopes, MadHatter - this from the same Telegraph article cited above:

Evans, No 291 in the world, will be joined in the singles team by James Ward (162), Britain’s second-ranked player after Murray. Their Belgian opponents, Olivier Rochus (52) and Steve Darcis (68), stand a long way above them on the ladder.

The doubles will be Great Britain’s strongest suit, as Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins have been clocking in some decent results in their time on the American hard courts.

Xavier Malisse announced his retirement from Davis Cup earlier this year.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:29 PM »

Hmm, see little chance for Evans to repeat his heroics here, or Ward making any upsets. Still, you never know I guess. Nothing to lose.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:48 PM »

I have got tickets for the whole weekend and although this is the fourth time I have been and it is much better when Andy is there he is totally making the right decision, would much rather see him improve his ranking and do all he can to win that GS.  At the end of the day we need a decent team to progress to the World Group.  We have an ever improving doubles team bit Andy cannot do all the rest himself.   Let the media say what they want his true fans know he has made the right decison.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 09:28 PM »

I have got tickets for the whole weekend and although this is the fourth time I have been and it is much better when Andy is there he is totally making the right decision, would much rather see him improve his ranking and do all he can to win that GS.  At the end of the day we need a decent team to progress to the World Group.  We have an ever improving doubles team bit Andy cannot do all the rest himself.   Let the media say what they want his true fans know he has made the right decison.

Definately made the right decision. I booked my tickets even though I was sure Andy wouldnt play. Enjoyed it last time even though he wasnt there. Hoping for some good tennis regardless of the outcome.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 11:01 PM »

Definately made the right decision. I booked my tickets even though I was sure Andy wouldnt play. Enjoyed it last time even though he wasnt there. Hoping for some good tennis regardless of the outcome.

I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere last time was not looking forward to it if I am honest, but it turned out to be amazing.  Andy will probably get vilified by the press now for "letting his country down".  What I would say to the press is how can you say he is letting his country down when he is the only British tennis player to play at the highest level.  Without Andy Britain would be the forgotten nation of tennis, give the guy a break, it is far more important for the future of British tennis for Andy to be a success, that is what will encourage youngsters to take up the sport and what will eventually produce the next "Andy".  We are not good enough to be in the World Group, harsh but true!!  I will be at Braehead cheering the team on, but feel this may be a step too far.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere last time was not looking forward to it if I am honest, but it turned out to be amazing.  Andy will probably get vilified by the press now for "letting his country down".  What I would say to the press is how can you say he is letting his country down when he is the only British tennis player to play at the highest level.  Without Andy Britain would be the forgotten nation of tennis, give the guy a break, it is far more important for the future of British tennis for Andy to be a success, that is what will encourage youngsters to take up the sport and what will eventually produce the next "Andy".  We are not good enough to be in the World Group, harsh but true!!  I will be at Braehead cheering the team on, but feel this may be a step too far.
Well said, Murray Magic.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57 PM »

Well we can all go, be oblivious to who each other are on the off chance we walk past each other and then report back after the weekend Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere last time was not looking forward to it if I am honest, but it turned out to be amazing.  Andy will probably get vilified by the press now for "letting his country down".  What I would say to the press is how can you say he is letting his country down when he is the only British tennis player to play at the highest level.  Without Andy Britain would be the forgotten nation of tennis, give the guy a break, it is far more important for the future of British tennis for Andy to be a success, that is what will encourage youngsters to take up the sport and what will eventually produce the next "Andy".  We are not good enough to be in the World Group, harsh but true!!  I will be at Braehead cheering the team on, but feel this may be a step too far.
I agree.  He's done more for the game now than Henman did in his entire career.

I'm expecting a loss, but I'm absolutely sure the team will give of their best (provided Ward doesn't get too nervous).  Playing against teams like this will be invaluable experience for them.  I have a lot of faith in Leon Smith - which is more than I can say for John Lloyd.  His judgement was poor for a start.  Have never forgiven him for playing a rookie Evans in the deciding rubber against Poland when the more experienced and capable Fleming was on hand.  Even Rusedski was amazed at that.  Also for putting pressure on Andy to play in that tie when he was injured, and then having the gall a few months later to launch an unfair attack on him when he was conveniently out of the country. ranting

Finally, I do not want the next home tie, whenever it is, to be played at Braehead.  Fair's fair, and four consecutive times is enough.
IP Logged
toady
Junior

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 06:27 PM »

Had a phone call from my daughter who was at Braehead this afternoon, saying she had just seen Josh Goodall in a burger place- and then lo and behold the news broke about Wardy. We're all going again for the 3 days, and am looking forward to it. Not sure if the Stirling Uni bunch will be there as it is holidays though, and they are going to the Fed Cup in a couple of weeks too. After last time, I'm making no predictions but just going to enjoy it all. Watch out for a repeat of my 'middle aged woman goes though gamut of emotions' repeat on Eurosport!

We've had  a great run of 4 in a row at Braehead, have enjoyed every single minute. Am prepared to concede the ties should move around when Wimbledon and Queens go mobile  lmao
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 07:15 PM »

Good point toady  clap
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »