Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April

(Read 3490 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #120 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12 PM »

That's us just back home after a 3 hour journey home (via petrol station and burger king!).  Bit of a disappointing end to the tie, but the gulf in class is there for all to see.  Reality needs to be faced, with Andy and the doubles team tam GB could do it, without Andy it ain't going to happen.  It's complete madness for Andy to have to commit to every tie, he is the fourth best player in the world and consistently in the latter stages of tourneys, which if you are ranked 200/300 in the world you are not.  GB cannot sustain being in a higher world group.  It's a pity that Evans could not have played first this afternoon as I think he has potential and is a great shot maker.  By the time he played the dead rubber the atmosphere was flat and obviously there was nothing to play for.  Goodall was never going to be able to beat the Belgian who by the way was a high quality substitute for Rochus,  he was broken in each set when serving at 1-1.   Once again the uni students were tremendous, they really do help make the atmosphere for the whole weekend.
Thanks once again  for a full report.  Playing the dead rubber must be totally disheartening for any player, no matter how good.

Enjoyed the weekend but obviously not the result, but Andy defo did the right thing in not playing, his preparations for the forthcoming clay court are far more important.  You cannot build a team around the one talent we have in British tennis!!!  To the Eurosport comms, GET A LIFE, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, stop dissing Andy, you lot were not even fit to lace his tennis shoes so therefore have no idea about his preparations etc.  He does not owe the LTA anything, they ruined his brother's young years, Andy did his own thing and became a success.  The only people he owes are his family who put everything into making him the success he is today.  
So no more DC this year, would like to see the young kids given a chance next time, if your good enough your old enough!!!!
Good posting!

Have some cracking video footage of the uni students and Jez Green belting out Loch Lomond, let me know if you are interested and I will post them.
Oh yes - please do!   Bagpipes   yay

Hey, Davis Cup is less of a team sport than we all think.

Consider this: if we were in the World Group, Andy would expect to win both singles against every team except perhaps Serbia and Spain (and that's assuming the Djoker and Rafa even play). We've then got a world top-ten doubles pairing who can hold their own against anyone.

Not a World Group team?  Think
I think Fleming and Hutchins still need to get a few more tournie wins under their belt first.  Also the onus would still be on Andy to win his singles which could be tricky if he's carrying an injury or having an off-day.

[ Last edit by Aileen April 08, 2012, 11:01 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #121 on: April 08, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Aileen, you wouldn't make a editor ... You don't always have to show a whole quote. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #122 on: April 08, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Aileen, you wouldn't make a editor ... You don't always have to show a whole quote. Smile
I did work once as an Assistant Editor in a publishing firm - but that was l-o-n-g before desktop publishing came along. Smile

I know you don't have to show the whole quote, but as I was replying to bits of it, it seemed the only way to do it, other than abbreviating it.

If there's another way of doing this, then please either you, or somebody else, tell me.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 08, 2012, 10:40 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #123 on: April 08, 2012, 10:41 PM »

I know you don't have to show the whole quote, but as I was replying to bits of it, it seemed the only way to do it.

If there's another way of doing this.
Yes, here it is.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #124 on: April 08, 2012, 10:54 PM »

Yes, here it is.
So that's just abbreviating it - something I do actually do, but obviously not often enough. Smile There are plenty more members though who are guilty of the same thing - and it does take up a lot of unnecessary webpage space.  I've seen entire articles quoted!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #125 on: April 08, 2012, 10:57 PM »

Hey, Davis Cup is less of a team sport than we all think.

Consider this: if we were in the World Group, Andy would expect to win both singles against every team except perhaps Serbia and Spain (and that's assuming the Djoker and Rafa even play). We've then got a world top-ten doubles pairing who can hold their own against anyone.

Not a World Group team?  Think
Aye but it would require Andy to play every round and that all three stay fit. Andy gets injured or is forced to sit out and we're left with two guys outside the top 200 competing against top 20 players.

Wouid be at serious detriment to his (more important) success in the Slams and Masters as well, what with Nadal and Djokovic also sitting out the early rounds.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #126 on: April 08, 2012, 11:02 PM »

Well we aren't going to make the World Group before 2014 at the earliest, by which time hopefully at least one very good back-up player might have emerged.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #127 on: April 09, 2012, 08:08 AM »

Thanx MM. Smile
How can a tiny country like Belgium produce a TEAM? pullhair
Rafa doesn't need to play for Spain, such strength in depth. Serbia just lost, obviously they missed their key player.
I feel that Andy might try to play if it's to avoid relegation, but that's all. And if the team can't win in this group without him, then perhaps they're at the wrong level anyway.
Yep, start giving Golding and co a chance.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #128 on: April 09, 2012, 11:35 AM »

Both Golding and Broady lost to players ranked in the 900s on Saturday...
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #129 on: April 09, 2012, 12:17 PM »

@ Allan, oops, perhaps not then nah
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #130 on: April 09, 2012, 01:17 PM »

This is a piece from the Times this morning about the DC. Leon Smith the GB captain he said the country will have to endured at least 28 years and spent an absolute fortune before he has the opportunity to win another DC World Group tie.

Murrays absence is the constant elephant in the room as far as Britain's prospects are concerned.
Those teams against whom he chooses to play despair of there prospects, those spared the task still expect him to appear in a puff of smoke and ruin their weekend.

Short of him against Belgium the expected became a nagging certainty of a 4-1 defeat. This is just a small
extract of an article in the times by Neil Harman.

I agree with Harman until GB can produce good players Andy will always have to step in. There is also an article in the time regarding the funding of the LTA which might be of interest to people on MW.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #131 on: April 09, 2012, 01:27 PM »

Thanx MM. Smile
How can a tiny country like Belgium produce a TEAM? pullhair

It does make you wonder.

Kazakhstan are in the World group with two top 60 players (Kukushkin who reached the Aus Open 4th round and Golubev who was ranked in the top 40 before his injuries... currently working his way back up, just outside the top 100).

Then you have Lithuania with two 21yo's ranked inside the top 200 (Berankis and Grigelis) the former of which was ranked around 80ish when he was 19 but has had horrible injury problems since then.

Mind you, Australia have had the same problems as us (well, more so with Hewitt not really being around the top guys in last half-decade) but suddenly everything's going great for them - Tomic has burst onto the scene, Ebden is reaching his potential, Matosevic is in amazing form. Then you have a couple of very promising youngsters making big steps on tour - Ben Mitchell and James Duckworth. Then you have the youngsters - Kubler (similar ability to Tomic before an injury wrecked his development; ranked quite highly on tour I believe for an 18yo), Saville (2x Junior Grand Slam winner), Whittington, Harris, Kyrgios, Jasika.

Australia are going to have several (5-10) top 100 players in the next few years, and probably Tomic leading them as a top tenner. They're going to be quite a fearsome team if Tomic, Duckworth and Mitchell carry on developing and Saville and Kubler get anywhere near their potential.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #132 on: April 09, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Some of the officials especially the male umpire left a lot to be desired!

Oh his voice was very annoying.  Couldn't always understand him.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #133 on: April 09, 2012, 05:02 PM »

Aileen, one way would be to quote the whole thing and then delete what you don't want. I tried highlighting and quoting but it didn't want to work. As I mentioned b4, for MM's bit all you had to do was "@Murray Magic 10.01 pm." She will understand, honest.
I agree with robbie, these chunks of text are hard to digest.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Davis Cup: GB vs Belgium 6-8 April « Reply #134 on: April 10, 2012, 04:23 PM »

Aileen, one way would be to quote the whole thing and then delete what you don't want. I tried highlighting and quoting but it didn't want to work. As I mentioned b4, for MM's bit all you had to do was "@Murray Magic 10.01 pm." She will understand, honest.
I agree with robbie, these chunks of text are hard to digest.
Thing is, I quite often do quote the whole lot and then delete what I don't want, but am sometimes guilty of taking the lazy option of just highlighting the bit I'm referring to.  Just unlucky for me that Robbie decided to pounce on one of the latter!

Will try doing the @ thing in future.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »