Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced

(Read 3305 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « on: November 05, 2013, 10:31 PM »

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., November 5, 2013 – The USTA and U.S. Davis Cup Captain Jim Courier announced today that San Diego’s Petco Park has been selected as the site for the 2014 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas first round match between the United States and Great Britain, January 31-February 2. The matches will be played on a clay court in a temporary stadium built in left field, which will have an expected capacity of approximately 8,000.

http://www.10sballs.com/2013/11/05/san-diegos-petco-park-to-host-2014-davis-cup-by-bnp-paribas-first-round-match-between-the-u-s-and-great-britain-january-31-february-2/
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Clay? Are the US trying to lose?
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Maybe they hope Andy won't be ready to play on clay
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:37 PM »

Pathetic.  Making GB travel as far as possible to play on the worst court possible in a crap stadium.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:09 PM »

Pathetic.  Making GB travel as far as possible to play on the worst court possible in a crap stadium.

That's part of the parcel in DC mate
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:44 AM »

I wonder if the USA are making the same judgement that Croatia made, that either Andy won't play or he won't play well on the clay. Well, it didn't work out for Croatia.

I know we're not exactly known for our clay expertise, but then again I don't think the USA are either.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 12:27 PM »

I wonder if the USA are making the same judgement that Croatia made, that either Andy won't play or he won't play well on the clay. Well, it didn't work out for Croatia.

I know we're not exactly known for our clay expertise, but then again I don't think the USA are either.

I think the only members of the US DC team that have clay success are the Bryans
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:21 PM »

The players will be coming from the Australian Open in Melbourne, so San Diego is about the shortest journey they could hope for - I think!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 07:00 PM »

James Ward plays well on clay.  I think.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:12 PM »

Jim Courier, US Davis Cup captain: “You have to look at all the factors; you can’t just look at Andy Murray,” Courier said. “You have to assume that if you play him on a bed of nails, he’s going to be a tough out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/sports/tennis/take-me-out-to-the-davis-cup-us-to-play-britain-in-baseball-park.html?smid=tw-share

Courier said the decision to play outdoors on clay was a team one and was also because, given previous results, it was the British team’s weakest surface. Andy Murray, the reigning Wimbledon champion, missed the end of this season after back surgery, but he is expected to return to the tour in 2014 and has said that, if healthy, he will play the first round of the Davis Cup.

Murray has had great success on clay, reaching the semifinals of the Masters 1000 events in Monte Carlo and Rome, and of the French Open in 2011. But he has yet to win a major title on the surface and is more consistently dangerous on hardcourts and grass. Britain’s next best singles players — James Ward and Daniel Evans — have had more success on faster surfaces.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13 PM »

If USA wanted to be really clever, they should have chosen a super fast indoor hard court.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Ugh.It's not that surprising that they chose clay,I guess,but ughhh.I hate clay.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 07:51 PM »

You will have to get used to it when Clayray 5.4 appears dani :p
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 07:53 PM »

You will have to get used to it when Clayray 5.4 appears dani :p

Like I don't sit through enough clay during that actual part of the season...now MORE?Gaaahh.It doesn't even have to do with Andy not being at his best on it.I just HATE the surface.Though if Andy wants to cheer me up by GOATing on clay then I won't object,and I may even try to find something positive to say about it Wink
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Davis Cup - USA vs GB Venue announced « Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 07:55 PM »

Clay can bore me sometimes as well, as can other surfaces.

Depends what sort of Tennis is played on it I guess. I like to see ballbashers like Gulbis, Solderling, Janowicz, Tsonga etc on clay.

Defensive Tennis by the likes of Nadal and Ferrer can be mind numbing on clay.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »