Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Doping in Tennis ?  (Read 15741 times)
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #165 on: September 03, 2013, 03:47 PM »

There was a big article about Tennis and doping recently in "The Daily Beast"; thought I'd post the link here for people interested:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/08/tennis-has-a-doping-problem.html
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #166 on: September 03, 2013, 03:49 PM »

What are your thoughts on these players ranked, for example, 13, 24, 27, 34, 35, 41, 42, 48, 49, 54, 58, 66.. etc...?

The share the following commonalities:

They are not Spanish.

They are all aged 30+

I think she answered that, see Roger Federer. confused
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #167 on: September 03, 2013, 04:05 PM »

What are your thoughts on these players ranked, for example, 13, 24, 27, 34, 35, 41, 42, 48, 49, 54, 58, 66.. etc...?

They are not Spanish.

They are all aged 30+

lmao No only Spaniards dope according to Masaka Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #168 on: September 03, 2013, 04:10 PM »

They are not Spanish.

They are all aged 30+

13 Tommy Haas - very suspicious

The others are not reaching the latter stages of tournaments including GS's on a regular basis.  I don't think doping is confined to the Spanish. I have expressed my views on a certain Serbian elsewhere.  Perhaps they are all at it? I would expect a player who is ageing or who has a history of repeated injuries to start to drop down the rankings.

Do you think tennis is a clean sport at the moment?

To answer your question fully I would need to do an in depth analysis of career performances v age etc. Not sure it would contribute enough to the discussion to be worth doing. What we do know is doping exists in tennis.  Troicki and Cillic will testify to that.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #169 on: September 03, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Do you think it is possible Andy will continue to reach 'the latter stages of tournaments including GS's on a regular basis' into his 30's?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #170 on: September 03, 2013, 04:16 PM »

lmao No only Spaniards dope according to Masaka Rolling Eyes

Can I suggest you look back at my previous posts on this subject. Your statement isn't accurate.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #171 on: September 03, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Do you think it is possible Andy will continue to reach 'the latter stages of tournaments including GS's on a regular basis' into his 30's?

No I think his back and knee will put paid to that. I would expect him to start to show signs of tailing off within the next 3 years or so.  If you x-rayed him now I would be very surprised if there were not some very early signs of osteo arthritis in some of his joints.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #172 on: September 03, 2013, 04:27 PM »

see the comment section of that "daily beast" article. the first comment does an analysis of serena and nole's serves in their most recent matches. serena hit faster ones more often. kind of surprising.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #173 on: September 04, 2013, 11:08 AM »

There was a big article about Tennis and doping recently in "The Daily Beast"; thought I'd post the link here for people interested:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/08/tennis-has-a-doping-problem.html

Very interesting article. I rather think the situation we are in is akin to the Saville abuse saga in the UK. Everybody seemed to know what was going on, but nobody would speak out because of pressure on high, and because big names were involved. Nobody was prepared to rock the boat.

For the benefit of the poster yesterday who suggested I was racist because I constantly mention Spanish players and doping in the same sentences, if I was interested in women's tennis beyond Robeson and Watson, the Williams sisters are prime suspects to me. Mind you that will undoubtedly open me up to another accusation of racism.

Note to avoid any doubt,  in using the Saville analogy I am not suggesting for one nano second that doping in sport is on the same level as abusing children. I have said elsewhere in this thread that I would rather every tennis player including Murray was doped to the eyeballs, than a single child abused.
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #174 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40 AM »

Very interesting article. I rather think the situation we are in is akin to the Saville abuse saga in the UK. Everybody seemed to know what was going on, but nobody would speak out because of pressure on high, and because big names were involved. Nobody was prepared to rock the boat.

For the benefit of the poster yesterday who suggested I was racist because I constantly mention Spanish players and doping in the same sentences, if I was interested in women's tennis beyond Robeson and Watson, the Williams sisters are prime suspects to me. Mind you that will undoubtedly open me up to another accusation of racism.

Note to avoid any doubt,  in using the Saville analogy I am not suggesting for one nano second that doping in sport is on the same level as abusing children. I have said elsewhere in this thread that I would rather every tennis player including Murray was doped to the eyeballs, than a single child abused.

A question, if RN was on a silent ban after Wimbledon last year, how come he has come back so strong this year, surely if he was caught last year he wouldn't be daft enough to chance getting caught again.
I have been watching tennis since the Ken Rosewall days and I must admit I do wonder about some of the wins these days, but I wish if there are cheats they could be weedled out I just want to enjoy the sport as I did in the old days.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #175 on: September 06, 2013, 10:07 AM »

He wasn't on a "slient ban". That's just stupid. What chance do you think there is of something of that magnitude being covered up?
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #176 on: September 06, 2013, 10:17 AM »

He wasn't on a "slient ban". That's just stupid. What chance do you think there is of something of that magnitude being covered up?

How can you be so sure?????????
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #177 on: September 06, 2013, 10:55 AM »

I have just read an article on a particular gene which helps to hide drug taking.  It is prevalent in Asian and Hispanics and not so much in North Europeans etc.   It was quite enlightening.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #178 on: September 06, 2013, 01:23 PM »

A question, if RN was on a silent ban after Wimbledon last year, how come he has come back so strong this year, surely if he was caught last year he wouldn't be daft enough to chance getting caught again.
I have been watching tennis since the Ken Rosewall days and I must admit I do wonder about some of the wins these days, but I wish if there are cheats they could be weedled out I just want to enjoy the sport as I did in the old days.

If you look at his past history. This pattern of "fake injuries" with periods out of the game has been going on for a long time with him. Given the apparent impotence of the tennis authorities, them wanting to avoid outing one of their biggest stars, and money spinners as a doper is not beyond the realms of possibility.  You have only got to look at how complicit the cycling authorities were in protecting  Lance Armstrong for the evidence of that.

I certainly think, and have thought since the AO 2011, that what happened in cycling is happening in tennis at the moment. I just hope that the outcome is eventually the same.

If I wanted to descend further into what Booger's refers to as my "batshit conspiracy theories" I would also point out that doping and the drugs involved are getting ever more sophisticated. If you have got the cash, in any field of life you can afford to employ the best. I don't see why the doping field should be any different.  Fraud gets ever more sophisticated, as the technology gets more sophisticated. It seems an obvious progression to me.
IP Logged
Cmongoose
Satellite Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #179 on: September 06, 2013, 02:00 PM »

If I wanted to descend further into what Booger's refers to as my "batshit conspiracy theories" I would also point out that doping and the drugs involved are getting ever more sophisticated. If you have got the cash, in any field of life you can afford to employ the best. I don't see why the doping field should be any different.

There's nothing "batshit" about what  you are saying masaka, we can't be certain as the smoking guns have not been produced (or have been destroyed) but many people think the same way..Its simply naive to think its some crazy notion, as sport has been so recently brought into disrepute on this very same subject
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »