Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 17801 times)
jillypops

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #180 on: September 06, 2013, 02:39 PM »

If I wanted to descend further into what Booger's refers to as my "batshit conspiracy theories" I would also point out that doping and the drugs involved are getting ever more sophisticated. If you have got the cash, in any field of life you can afford to employ the best. I don't see why the doping field should be any different.  Fraud gets ever more sophisticated, as the technology gets more sophisticated. It seems an obvious progression to me

The article that Tamilla is referring to in her post almost says the same thing Masaka, not sure if you read the article, it also inferred that if more money was spent on testing more people would fail the drug tests, but that governing bodies of certain sports were not willing to put the tests in place, as it would be too expensive.

IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #181 on: September 06, 2013, 02:40 PM »

Sorry top paragraph was the quote
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #182 on: September 06, 2013, 02:58 PM »

If I wanted to descend further into what Booger's refers to as my "batshit conspiracy theories" I would also point out that doping and the drugs involved are getting ever more sophisticated. If you have got the cash, in any field of life you can afford to employ the best. I don't see why the doping field should be any different.  Fraud gets ever more sophisticated, as the technology gets more sophisticated. It seems an obvious progression to me

The article that Tamilla is referring to in her post almost says the same thing Masaka, not sure if you read the article, it also inferred that if more money was spent on testing more people would fail the drug tests, but that governing bodies of certain sports were not willing to put the tests in place, as it would be too expensive.

Yes I did read the article. It made sense to me. At the moment I feel the ITF is working very hard to avoid catching the dopers. They catch the odd sacrificial lamb, but the real offenders get away with it. I fully expect both Troicki and Cillic to be exonerated for some spurious reasons and be back on the tour in time for the AO next year. In my opinion if they were serious about doping Nadal, Djokovic and Ferrer would not be competing. Plus a few on the women's side.

I do not think it is any coincidence that Nadal went out early at Wimbledon last year and didn't show for the Olympics. Djokovic performed below par in both.  This year increased drug testing at Wimbledon - Nadal  goes out in the first round, Djokovic beaten in straight sets by Murray. Players on  both the men's and women's side dropping like flies.

My Batshit, insane,  wacko, conspiracy antenna was waggling in all directions. Rather like a certain hyperactive Spanish bull.....!!!
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #183 on: September 06, 2013, 04:11 PM »

Pardon my ignorance about drugs, but just what is their advantage in tennis?  I can appreciate they probably make you stronger and faster, which helps in certain sports, but tennis requires delicate touches, outmanouvring the opponent, accuracy in placing the ball right on the line, so how do drugs improve these skills?
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #184 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34 AM »

Pardon my ignorance about drugs, but just what is their advantage in tennis?  I can appreciate they probably make you stronger and faster, which helps in certain sports, but tennis requires delicate touches, outmanouvring the opponent, accuracy in placing the ball right on the line, so how do drugs improve these skills?

It does not imp[rove skill except by making it easier to play and practice longer.  It gives you greater muscle power and endurance.  There a very many articles which actually explain how it works.  Athletes who dope are usually faster and have greater muscle power which is ultimately what tennis players are, great athletes.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #185 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05 PM »

They increase power and stamina, so for example at the end of a long rally the person doping might just be able to hit that one extra shot. If a match goes on for 5 sets the doper might still be on their feet.

They also improve recovery time, so they can get back to the practice courts quicker, and practice for longer.

Example (and this is actually not a barb at Kneedal), when my joints are inflamed, stiff and swollen, and I can hardly walk, I get given steroid injections into the knee joint. Within about 15 minutes things will improve and the joint becomes much more functional. If all the joints are kicking off its the needle in the bottom job, and things improve a bit slower, and it's slightly less effective. The effects can last for up to 3 months depending on how active the rheumatoid is in my joints.

Also when I am fatigued my coordination goes to pot. In a tennis match if you can keep the fatigue at bay I imagine the pinpoint accuracy of your shots stays pinpoint for that much longer. Look back at how a fatigued Federer was screwing up his shots in the Olympic Gold match.

So you can imagine how drug use might help an already super fit tennis player, improve his fine margins and give him that little,  or not so little edge that makes the difference between wining or losing.

They are no use if you haven't got the underlying skill and talent, my steroid injections won't turn me into a sportswoman no matter how much I tried.

And that's only the simple steriods I am familiar with. I imagine there are whole families of designer drugs available to the discerning sportsperson.

So if you take the AO semi in 2011, when Djokovic played a brutal 5 setter against Murray, followed by an even more brutal 5 setter against Kneedal, and at the end of it neither of them looked totally wrecked you can understand my suspicions. It was after that match, that I thought this is fishy, and went looking on the Internet for information about doping in tennis. I found there was quite a lot out there, particularly referencing Kneedal and Djokovic.

That any help to you?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #186 on: September 07, 2013, 12:58 PM »

So if you take the AO semi in 2011, when Djokovic played a brutal 5 setter against Murray, followed by an even more brutal 5 setter against Kneedal, and at the end of it neither of them looked totally wrecked you can understand my suspicions. It was after that match, that I thought this is fishy, and went looking on the Internet for information about doping in tennis. I found there was quite a lot out there, particularly referencing Kneedal and Djokovic.

Pathetic thing to say. They both did look wrecked because during the awards ceremony they had to lean against the net to stop themselves collapsing, the organisers then got them chairs and water. Plus, both found it difficult to speak because they were that tired. Your suspicions are becoming irrelevant because you sound like your searching for every long match with Nadal or Djokovic in since AO 2012 and if they don't look wrecked, you accuse them of doping. Disgusting, grow up.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #187 on: September 07, 2013, 02:39 PM »

Pathetic thing to say. They both did look wrecked because during the awards ceremony they had to lean against the net to stop themselves collapsing, the organisers then got them chairs and water. Plus, both found it difficult to speak because they were that tired. Your suspicions are becoming irrelevant because you sound like your searching for every long match with Nadal or Djokovic in since AO 2012 and if they don't look wrecked, you accuse them of doping. Disgusting, grow up.

I only have one thing to say do all the old players and pundits need 'to grow up' as well.  There has long been suspicions over Nadal and it has even been mooted in the press in the past, so Masaka is not alone.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #188 on: September 07, 2013, 03:35 PM »

Gangstamurray

....... Grow up....

[/quote]

Just for clarification. How old are you? About 14?

This is my final reply. At the moment it's like trying to argue with a child. When you can interact in a marginally more adult fashion, I will be quite happy to reengage with you. In the meanwhile.....

Pot/kettle/black
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #189 on: September 07, 2013, 03:50 PM »

Gangstamurray

....... Grow up....

Just for clarification. How old are you? About 14?

This is my final reply. At the moment it's like trying to argue with a child. When you can interact in a marginally more adult fashion, I will be quite happy to reengage with you. In the meanwhile.....

Pot/kettle/black

14? No. 16. Didn't you say you were waiting for an idiot comment earlier, isn't that rude too? or is what you say to others that can be deemed rude, not rude in your head?
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #190 on: September 07, 2013, 04:41 PM »

14? No. 16. Didn't you say you were waiting for an idiot comment earlier, isn't that rude too? or is what you say to others that can be deemed rude, not rude in your head?
In this day and age you are fortunate to be able to debate with adults (over 18, 21 or even 25) because if we all met face-to-face in a venue it would very soon sort the men from the boys, quite literally.  My son is 30, so I've done all the teenage tantrums bit and am happy to leave it in the distant past thank you very much.  Maybe there should be a Junior Forum and another for old boilers like me, and never the twain shall meet .
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #191 on: September 07, 2013, 04:49 PM »

Oh for goodness sake give it a rest, we have had endless posts from you, at the moment you are not helping yourself.Some people like the sound of their own voice, here you seem to like your endless posts and refuting everyone elses posts. You tell us you are 16, well young man most of them are older than you and have been reading and gathering information on different topics for many years, therefore I would try and learn from them. In my opinion Masaka has certainly not been rude to you.
For all your so called support of Nadal that has been shown to be a complete turn around from what you have written in the past as Sabine has proved by showing some of your past quotes. I have my doubts that this was done tongue in cheek and that you were not serious.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #192 on: September 07, 2013, 04:50 PM »

In this day and age you are fortunate to be able to debate with adults (over 18, 21 or even 25) because if we all met face-to-face in a venue it would very soon sort the men from the boys, quite literally.  My son is 30, so I've done all the teenage tantrums bit and am happy to leave it in the distant past thank you very much.  Maybe there should be a Junior Forum and another for old boilers like me, and never the twain shall meet .

So now you generalise teenagers and kids as not worthy or intelligent enough to discuss matters with adults? In this day and age adults have become very dismissive of younger people's opinions. Remember we are your future.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #193 on: September 07, 2013, 04:55 PM »

So now you generalise teenagers and kids as not worthy or intelligent enough to discuss matters with adults? In this day and age adults have become very dismissive of younger people's opinions. Remember we are your future.
nervous :God help us.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #194 on: September 07, 2013, 04:56 PM »

Oh for goodness sake give it a rest, we have had endless posts from you, at the moment you are not helping yourself.Some people like the sound of their own voice, here you seem to like your endless posts and refuting everyone elses posts. You tell us you are 16, well young man most of them are older than you and have been reading and gathering information on different topics for many years, therefore I would try and learn from them. In my opinion Masaka has certainly not been rude to you.
For all your so called support of Nadal that has been shown to be a complete turn around from what you have written in the past as Sabine has proved by showing some of your past quotes. I have my doubts that this was done tongue in cheek and that you were not serious.

You might find I'm defending Nadal because I have become tired (as have a few other members I know) of this constant bitterness. The nickname 'Kneedal' is cruel because he has genuine tendinitis and Federer, well the guy maybe a little arrogant, but he hasn't done anything wrong that's upset anyone, so why be so cruel to him to. As for giving it a rest, Masaka could learn something from those words with her 'suspicions' and accusations of Nadal doping.
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray September 07, 2013, 05:17 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »