Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 20190 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #210 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08 AM »

I would like to say one thing.  Some post on this website seem to hint that we who are suspicious of doping in tennis are acting off our own bat.  As there many in the media. other sportsmen and women and ordinary sports fan think the same and are now voicing their opinions more and more I can see no harm in any of us mentioning it.  There is yet another one today by Bloomberg.  My aunt who is 90 and was amazed by the doping in sports has begun to question Nadal's remarkable comeback.  I do not hink he is probably alone in cheating in some way.  I just feel sorry for them as I am sure it cannot feel so good as winning fairly and squarely.

I completely agree. If my thoughts are as Booger's so charmingly described them as "batshit, insane, conspiracy theories", then there are an ever increasing number of people out there, many of them respectable journalists and current and ex players who also subscribe to them. The parallels with the Lance Armstrong case are unavoidable in my opinion.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #211 on: September 11, 2013, 10:11 AM »

Don't feel sorry for them Tamila! Sports cheats do not know the meaning of 'fair and square' and are happy to do whatever it takes to win at any cost! They have no honour!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #212 on: September 11, 2013, 10:33 AM »

Don't feel sorry for them Tamila! Sports cheats do not know the meaning of 'fair and square' and are happy to do whatever it takes to win at any cost! They have no honour!

I am not really. I was being a little bi cynical.  I have absolutely no sympathy with them and will certainly not have any if they are exposed.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #213 on: September 11, 2013, 11:42 AM »

Interesting article on doping in tennis in this week's Scotland on Sunday.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/tom-english-andy-murray-s-words-on-doping-important-1-3081915

I've just been reading this and it is very interesting. Apart from other things it made me ponder, it did bring to mind Cilic's situation by raising the question of what is going on with him. My instinct was to think we know what's going on, he's been suspended. Then I realised we don't actually know yet whether he has or not. Literally nothing has been said about him within the game, which leads a person to conclude that he must have voluntarily stopped playing while the matter is looked in to, or he waits for a hearing.

There are two issues that come to mind. Firstly, it beggars belief to me that a person can choose themselves whether to continue playing or not in the immediate aftermath of failing a test. One would assume a player would have to stop whilst matters are looked in to, but that appears not to be the case.

Secondly, the silence surrounding failed tests doesn't strike me as helpful. Keeping these things quiet must surely raise suspicions rather than removing them. We live in a time where sport, any sport, not just tennis, can not just be clean, it needs to be seen to be clean. Part of that must surely be about transparency, because otherwise it sets up sports to allegations of cover ups.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #214 on: September 11, 2013, 11:46 AM »

I to have suspicions about doping in tennis. I think some players do take drugs. I find it suspicious that someone who has been out with supposed injury can come back and play so well. He says he does not do gym work were does he get his muscles from without this gym work. Is he taking steroids or Human growth hormone. The ATP tour authorities will have to be more stringent about testing players and test for a wider sphere of illegal drugs. Until this is done player who do things the hard way are disadvantaged.
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #215 on: September 11, 2013, 12:33 PM »

I have my suspicions about doping in tennis and have for a while now. Boris made a very valid point when he said that because RF had taken 8 weeks out earlier in the year it had had a big impact on his game. Now I know RF is a lot older than the other top guys, but he went on to say that its just not possible to have extended periods out and come back and play your best tennis. Well Rafas done it and playing better than ever strange that.
How can you play better tennis now than ever before when you have such a physical game and your only getting older not younger. Rafa has showed no signs of being even remotely tired since he returned to  tour and has won everything except Wimbledon. He didn't look remotely tired in the final of the USO and looked like he could have played for another 2 weeks and still won.It will be interesting to see what tournaments Rafa decides to play in for the rest of the year.The number 1 position will be his main aim which he will achieve. His next priority will be to win the WTF being as he's never won that before. And he may well win that .Indoor hard and hard courts are supposedly his worst surface. I have yet to see any evidence of that.And as for all his injury's suddenly disappearing strange. I expect them to resurface at sometime or other.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #216 on: September 15, 2013, 04:19 PM »

Oh my word! If anyone thought Masaka was gonna bring the wrath of the legal profession down on MW, just take a read of this:
http://ruansfedererblog.com/nadal-wins-13th-slam-at-us-open/#comments

Personally think he's lost his marbles...  Shrug
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #217 on: September 15, 2013, 04:58 PM »

Oh my word! If anyone thought Masaka was gonna bring the wrath of the legal profession down on MW, just take a read of this:

Personally think he's lost his marbles...  Shrug

He might have some good points, but to be honest it's nothing more than a disgruntled Federer fan having a rant. It's not worth reading because he makes no attempt whatsoever to be neutral.

The bloke should have done what I did. I chose not to watch the USO final, and I openly admit it was because Nadal was playing. That's not to say I think the man is doping. I would never say that without evidence, but to me there is something deeply dishonest about what is going on with Nadal and I just don't like it, so I chose not to engage with it.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #218 on: September 15, 2013, 05:18 PM »

Personally think he's lost his marbles...  Shrug

It does sound like sour grapes even though he does make some pertinant points, still there's a huge part of me that prays that Nadal never gets outed as a dope cheat, and not just because of how much damage it will do to the game.

I am of the opinion he isn't doping and is just a great player, i just can't see something that huge being kept secret, a player can't dope by himself there has to be others involved and he's too much of a high profile player for someone in the know not to be tempted by the huge amount of money that would be offered to anybody who would spill the beans.

Of course proof would then have to be gathered, but just the fact that he was under suspicion would be huge news around the globe and even that could damage his career.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #219 on: September 15, 2013, 06:21 PM »

Andy isn't backwards with coming forwards with his views on doping.

He has huge respect for Rafa.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #220 on: September 16, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Marin Cilic has been banned for nine months for doping violations

http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/decisions/decision-in-the-case-of-marin-cilic.aspx
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #221 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Ridiculous.

ITF so desperate to look like they're doing something that they ban people who the ITF themselves even admit did it unintentionally.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #222 on: September 16, 2013, 07:11 PM »

Ridiculous.

ITF so desperate to look like they're doing something that they ban people who the ITF themselves even admit did it unintentionally.

It does seem very harsh. Apologies as I think it's been mentioned before but it reminds me of Alain Baxter the skier who bought a Vicks inhaler overseas that contained a banned substance (he assumed it was fine as he used them in the UK). He received a ban and I think lost his Olympic medal too?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #223 on: September 16, 2013, 07:19 PM »

It does seem very harsh. Apologies as I think it's been mentioned before but it reminds me of Alain Baxter the skier who bought a Vicks inhaler overseas that contained a banned substance (he assumed it was fine as he used them in the UK). He received a ban and I think lost his Olympic medal too?
Yes - I remember that.  So, so unfair.  Must have been gutting for the guy.  Perhaps the powers that be should get their 'universal' act together? 
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #224 on: September 16, 2013, 07:43 PM »

What a joke, "Mr Cilic we know you took it by accident and in the grand scheme of things it isn't really considered as a major PED, but have a 9 month ban for it anyway, as a small token of our appreciation"
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »