Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 19714 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #540 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43 PM »

confused Shrug Shrug hammer yuk

English please.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #541 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03 PM »

English please.

Tosh!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #542 on: November 06, 2013, 03:19 PM »

Tosh!

That's what Djokovic said. Are you willing to question a tennis professional talking about a subject related to tennis?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #543 on: November 06, 2013, 03:28 PM »

That's what Djokovic said. Are you willing to question a tennis professional talking about a subject related to tennis?

I admire Novak's loyalty to his friend,I really do.But I don't like what it's leading to.Doping,and the measures taken to combat it,are a big,big thing in tennis-in any sport.Are you really saying that Novak would be saying the things he's saying about this case if it wasn't his friend involved?If it was just a random player he didn't know?Because I don't think he would.

He's coming at this from a place of being emotional on behalf of a friend,and while I think he's a good guy (and obviously a very good friend to have),I wish he'd be a bit more careful,because his words carry weight.
[ Last edit by xxdanixx November 06, 2013, 03:35 PM ] IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #544 on: November 06, 2013, 05:41 PM »

I admire Novak's loyalty to his friend,I really do.But I don't like what it's leading to.Doping,and the measures taken to combat it,are a big,big thing in tennis-in any sport.Are you really saying that Novak would be saying the things he's saying about this case if it wasn't his friend involved?If it was just a random player he didn't know?Because I don't think he would.

He's coming at this from a place of being emotional on behalf of a friend,and while I think he's a good guy (and obviously a very good friend to have),I wish he'd be a bit more careful,because his words carry weight.

Spot on. We must enforce the rules and make sure that if someone has, or wants, to miss a test it is approved by the testers as a legitimate reason. The process needs confirmations on the spot in writing to avoid any misinterpretation as Novak is indicating happened with his friend.  In my sport they are now taking drugs, getting a small punishment, or having them backdated so it all is becoming meaningless! National bodies appear to be in collusion with athletes and coaches to avoid punishment of drug takers. Hopeless.

Was Troicki involved in their Davis Cup team?

Novak also implied that results could be wrong. Is he trying to undermine testing in the interest of those who do not follow the rules? He suggested that as Andy wanted a verification of results from an independant lab that was enough. I hope that this does not taint Andy too. Perhaps Novak should consider more carefully before he speaks as he will be distrusted on drugs as a result of what he has said this week. Whatever the situation with Troicki he has done no good with this intervention.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #545 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Dennis Law tweeted a comment about Nadal not being able to play last year and ending this year at no 1.  Loads of replies talking about cheating and doping an hour ago.  All now deleted.  What happened to freedom of speech.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #546 on: November 06, 2013, 07:35 PM »

Apparantely Andy gets all his supplements tested to ensure that they don't have any banned substances in them
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #547 on: November 06, 2013, 10:40 PM »

I reckon this is to do with the Troicki case.Even if I'm wrong and it isn't,it really couldn't be more perfectly put!

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray
Read and respect the rules and everything is very simple.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #548 on: November 06, 2013, 10:48 PM »

He was irritated because Troicki was never told by the professionals that if he missed the test due to illness or whatever, he would be given a ban. Also the ATP represenative at the tribunal apparently didn't fight Troicki's case in the apporopraite way. In short, the ATP is full of corrupt so-called professionals.

How long has Troicki been on the circuit?  Yet he didn't know that he risked a ban by missing a test - pull the other one!  Djokovic' s comments are extremely misguided in my view.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #549 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49 PM »

I reckon this is to do with the Troicki case.Even if I'm wrong and it isn't,it really couldn't be more perfectly put!

Andy Murray ‏@andy_murray
Read and respect the rules and everything is very simple.

Well said Andy!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #550 on: November 06, 2013, 10:50 PM »

How long has Troicki been on the circuit?  Yet he didn't know that he risked a ban by missing a test - pull the other one!  Djokovic' s comments are extremely misguided in my view.

The ATP were stated to not be clear with the rules. We can't just assume that because the professionals are professionals, they are not in the wrong during this case.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #551 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48 PM »

I'm off to bed so I'll be quick.

The one area I think Djokovic was right about is that someone from the ATP should have been around when Troick was tested. If that had been the case they could have made him aware immediately that missing a blood test would get him a ban and he would, at least I would have thought, have then had the blood test and there would be no debate now.

However, I'm sorry but I don't get for one second how a pro player can not know that missing a test would lead to a ban. The average tennis fan knows this, so why didn't Troicki? Is he really that stupid?

I do understand that Djokovic is having a hissy fit because Troicki is a friend, but I think his display in his presser was misguided. All of the top players should, in my view, lead by example and take a tough line with anything to do with doping. The sport can no longer be clean, it has to be seen to be clean. That's not to say that this whole saga has been dealt with correctly really, but the fact remains that if Troicki had just taken the time to acquaint himself with the rulebook, he would not be in the position he is now in.

What with this saga and the fiasco of the way they 'dealt' with Cilic (joke of the century right there!) the sport needs to think about how it handles these issues and Djokovic needs to learn to think before he throws his rattle out of the pram. Mind you, he is quite funny when he's cross.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #552 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48 AM »

Worth a read. Comments anyone?

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/9011193/mark-cavendish-criticises-tennis-over-frustrating-anti-doping-procedures
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #553 on: November 07, 2013, 09:17 AM »

I liked this report. I have tried to expand information on tests completed and failed to all sports but the information location is not obvious.  A simple question that needs to be asked is how many tests and how many failures each year?  Does not seem to be published. Does anyone know where this can be found?
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #554 on: November 07, 2013, 11:16 PM »

^ ^ Sorry I don't know where this information can be found - but I agree it would be interesting.

Here's Federer's take on the Troicki incident; & his view is that they are not tested enough: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24858647
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »