Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 20156 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #105 on: January 28, 2013, 11:50 PM »

I think immediate stamina seems to be more of an issue than cumulative stamina at a grand slam.

At the USO, Murray did indeed spend more time on court, but he had a day more to rest after his SF than Djokovic did. Ergo, he was much fresher in the decisive fifth set.

At the AO, Murray spent much less time on court, but he endured a five setter, and a day less rest between SF and F, and in my opinion, he looked tired midway through the third set.

Obviously a very small sample size, therefore inconclusive, but it reaffirms my belief that you can recuperate stamina over the 2 weeks (which Djokovic did with relatively easy wins against Berdych and Ferrer)
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #106 on: January 29, 2013, 12:08 AM »

What are your thoughts on Murray's fitness?

Why, in the 5th set in New York, was Djokovic the one tiring when it was Murray who had spend 3 hours extra on court throughout the tournament?

Suspect in that situation pure adrenalin got him through that last set. The awareness that if he didn't pull it off then he might never manage it. Certainly immediately it was over fatigue and the awareness of just how much he was hurting kicked in - once that final point was over he could hardly walk. Besides was Djokovic tiring or was it muscle cramps that did for him in that final set. Murray also had the extra days rest.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #107 on: January 29, 2013, 12:25 AM »

I think that the articles are right that there needs to be stricter measures implemented and funded in tennis. However, I think any talk that Djokovic could be doping (especially on here) is mainly sour grapes and that he peaks and has dips like other players, just he battles it out harder and has had to win some tough matches to take the titles that mean the most to him. We'd be blowing a gasket if people were querying whether andy doped at the USO
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #108 on: January 29, 2013, 12:38 AM »

My comms were talking about the pod that Novak uses to help with his fitness:-

Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic hasn't earned his No. 1 ranking by taking the conventional road. There's his odd ritual of excessive ball bouncing before serves, which can break an opponent's concentration. There's his new gluten-free diet, which he's said has helped him feel stronger on the court.

But now there's something truly weird: the CVAC Pod.

Ever since last year's U.S. Open, Djokovic has been trying to improve his fitness by climbing into a rare $75,000 egg-shaped, bobsled-sized pressure chamber.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904787404576532854267519860.html

Novak had a tough match against Wawrinka but was all good come his next match. dontknow
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #109 on: January 29, 2013, 03:15 AM »

What are your thoughts on Murray's fitness?

Why, in the 5th set in New York, was Djokovic the one tiring when it was Murray who had spend 3 hours extra on court throughout the tournament?

Exactly.

The other points I made about Nole's robustness and recovery from long matches as far back as 2007 were overlooked I guess. Nole was always able to recover, but he hired Muster's ex-trainer mid-2009 to improve his fitness, and he didn't find out about his gluten allergy until 2010; he also made technical changes to his serve and forehand.  ALL of these changes combined would easily explain his shift from having been #3 in the world for 3 or 4 years, to #1. It wasn't some magical overnight transformation as some imply.

People see what they want to see sometimes methinks.

Besides which, what does the "state of Serbia" have to do with anything? Is this about nations? #confused.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #110 on: January 29, 2013, 03:17 AM »

I think that the articles are right that there needs to be stricter measures implemented and funded in tennis. However, I think any talk that Djokovic could be doping (especially on here) is mainly sour grapes and that he peaks and has dips like other players, just he battles it out harder and has had to win some tough matches to take the titles that mean the most to him. We'd be blowing a gasket if people were querying whether andy doped at the USO

Agree. On both counts - re: testing and re: implicating.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #111 on: January 29, 2013, 06:54 AM »

Well, Nole is technically better now than in 2010. I remember when he couldn't get a first serve in to save his life. Also his forehand is better, volleying more etc. There's not a half ounce of fat on him, plus his incredible flexibility, all these things save energy on court. Don't see how drugs could've improved any of those.
Also, I think, controversial I know, that Andy has put on too much muscle. He looks "heavy." His style of play doesn't suit "heavy." BTW he's also accused of drug taking, helping him bulk up. On here we all know he never would. They are all innocent until proved IMHO.
Bloody Armstrong has done such an immeasurable disservice to sport ranting
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #112 on: January 29, 2013, 01:55 PM »

Apparently,today in court the infamous Dr Eufemiano Fuentes stated that tennis players were part of his client group.No details as of yet.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #113 on: January 29, 2013, 04:33 PM »

My comms were talking about the pod that Novak uses to help with his fitness:-
He was asked about that after his SF against Ferrer.

Q.  Do you make use of anything like that pressurized egg chamber which you were known to use at the US Open?  Do you have one of them out here in Australia at all?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No.  No, I don't.
http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-24/201301241359027827720.html

He was also asked about his recovery routine after he played Berdych, but he's keeping it secret.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  It all depends, of course, from the player and their respected routines that they do after the matches.  We have certain kind of things that we do.  It has been working in the past.  It worked well this time also.

Q.  What is that routine?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  I can't say that.  Sorry.  Have to keep it private.

Q.  Do you know what other people do?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC:  No.  I know some.  But most of the top players are keeping it private, and I think that's the way it should be.

more at http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/news/interviews/2013-01-22/201301221358858753846.html
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #114 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58 PM »

The only thing that piqued my interest was a recent interview with Nole where he was asked if the amount of times players were teste d for drugs should be increased he replied no, It's fine as it is which certainly goes against what Andy and other players have been stating
[ Last edit by The Gnome January 29, 2013, 05:05 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #115 on: January 29, 2013, 05:15 PM »

I thought Nole's recovery after the match against Wawrinka was remarkable. Because now he was facing a player in the qtr-final who was definitely fresher of the two and has a history of taking Nole out of a GS (his only victory however and on grass but it's huge) and whose best surface was also hard, one would have thought this match had all the elements of an upset or at least be as competitive as the previous one, but it was more of a washout. Nole looked completely unaffected throughout this match.  I know that most people still went with Nole but had this match been played in 2010, I doubt many would have gone with Nole. Nole’s stamina and endurance are at the level of a super human since 2011 we all know it and the most lines I read before that match was, “Nole will be fine”.  All the while when both Federer in semi against Murray and Murray against Nole in the final were based on their previous performances, where they both had 5 setters. Quite amazing stuff.  
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #116 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24 PM »

The final has made me suspicious of Djokovic once again. Murray has a tough 4 hour match against Federer, and the effects of that are obvious in the final. Djokovic has a 5+ hour match against Warinka, then wipes out Berdych and Ferrer without any ill effects at all. I can't believe Djokovic is do much fitter than Murray. I don't think it's me just trying to make excuses for Murray. There just seems to be something odd in Djokovic's "magical" powers of recovery. I have said before I can't stand Federer, who has beaten Murray in more GS finals, but I am not suspicious of him. I remain very suspicious of Djokovic, Nadal and Ferrer (similar age to Federer but not seemingly giving any signs of

Cue more rants from other folk. I repeat this is just my opinion. Others have and are entitled to differing opinions.
I have to agree with you Masaka his powers of recovery are very exceptional. It was only 18months ago he was defaulting in matches because he couldn't last a tough 5setter.The heat was a problem for him etc etc. I have a brother in law who used to do a lot of body building and every time I see Novaks upper body when he rips his shirt of it's like looking at my brother in laws physic.All I ask is that if these players have nothing to hide then why not agree to having blood tests taken without being asked.I do believe Andy's clean he allows people go to his training base in Miami to watch him train and takes some of the other guys with him so they can do some training there with him as well.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #117 on: January 29, 2013, 05:38 PM »

I've heard gluten free can really do miracles but to extent I am not sure and as I understand, Nole has been on gluten-free diet since the start of 2011. And that egg vaccum thing must help too. I guess the reason why he doesn’t want to reveal the secrets of his other physical regime is because he doesn’t want everyone to pick it up. The main reason why he wins so much these days has essentially to do with his current fitness level and this goes without staying. Nadal just couldn’t outrun him at last year’s AO. So that kind of physical fitness must give Nole a lot of confidence on top of being already a great player.
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #118 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53 PM »

I thought Andy was on a gluten free diet correct me if I'm wrong. If that's what a gluten free diet is doing for Novak that's great. And I would never doubt that that is the case I would hope and believe that all the players are playing on a level playing field.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #119 on: January 29, 2013, 09:52 PM »

I thought Andy was on a gluten free diet correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Andy did give it a try for a while,but I read somewhere that he's not doing it anymore.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »