Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 19791 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #150 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Dimi Kutrovsky was done for drugs last year. Ranked around a career-high 300 or 400 something IIRC. Maybe 200's.

Indeed... here's a full list

Maximilian Abel
 Andre Agassi
 Kristina Antoniychuk

Karol Beck
 Alex Bogomolov, Jr.

Guillermo Cañas
 Juan Ignacio Chela
 Guillermo Coria

Lourdes Domínguez Lino
 Antony Dupuis

Richard Gasquet
 Melle van Gemerden

Martina Hingis
 Mariano Hood

Sesil Karatantcheva
 Robert Kendrick
 Petr Korda
 Stefan Koubek
 Dimitar Kutrovsky

Simon Larose

Marcelo Melo
 Ivo Minář

Courtney Nagle
 Mark Nielsen
 Karel Nováček

Wayne Odesnik

Laura Pous Tió
 Mariano Puerta

Bohdan Ulihrach

Filippo Volandri

I recognise 11 of them, the Argentinians sem to be most up for it, but most notably Delpo is not on the list i assume mainly because he can actually play a bit

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #151 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02 AM »

That's interesting. I knew about a few of them. When/what did Bogomolov do?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #152 on: January 31, 2013, 01:06 AM »

That's interesting. I knew about a few of them. When/what did Bogomolov do?

According to wikipedia:

In 2005, he was suspended for 1.5 months due to a positive doping test during the Australian Open. The banned substance found was salbutamol, which Bogomolov admitted taking through an inhaler to treat exercise-induced asthma. However, he had not filed the proper paperwork and was not covered by an exemption. The tribunal found that there had been no intent to enhance performance by the taking of salbutamol, so the otherwise mandatory two-year ban did not apply. He also had to forfeit prize money and ranking points earned at the Australian Open and other competitions.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #153 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51 AM »

Seems a bit harsh.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #154 on: February 01, 2013, 01:12 PM »

Not tennis related, but still relevant. :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/21273128

Vijay Singh says he is angry with himself for using deer antler spray

Former world number one Vijay Singh says he is angry with himself after admitting using a substance banned by golf's anti-drug abuse rules.

An online article by the American magazine Sports Illustrated detailed use of "Deer Antler Spray" by Singh.

The Fijian is now facing a suspension.

In a statement, he said: "I am absolutely shocked that deer antler spray may contain a banned substance and am angry that I have put myself in this position."

According to Section One of the Tour's Anti-Doping Program Manual, a player is strictly liable whenever a prohibited substance is in his body, regardless of the circumstances.

What is "Deer Antler Spray"?
•The spray, being sold by SWATS. (Sports With Alternatives to Steroids), is harvested from the antlers of New Zealand deer.
•Deer antler spray and pills are thought to contain small amounts of deer IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor-1) - a growth hormone.
•Scientific research has shown that velvet deer antler improves heart strength, stamina, joint health, muscle and strength development plus athletic performance.
•Christopher Key of SWATS was quoted in the SI article saying: "The antlers are the fastest-growing substance on planet Earth... because of the high concentration of IGF-1. We've been able to freeze dry that out, extract it, put it in a sublingual spray that you shake for 20 seconds and then spray three [times] under your tongue. This stuff has been around for almost 1,000 years."

Deer Antler Spray is manufactured by the controversial company Sports with Alternatives to Steroids (SWATS).

In promotional material the firm claims the substance contains IGF-1, a natural anabolic hormone that stimulates muscle growth.

IGF-1 is on golf's banned list.

The sport's drugs policy is in line with the code set out by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

In the SI article Singh, 49, was quoted saying he used the product "every couple of hours... every day."

His statement continued: "While I have used deer antler spray, at no time was I aware that it may contain a substance that is banned under the PGA Tour anti-doping policy.

"In fact, when I first received the product, I reviewed the list of ingredients and did not see any prohibited substances.

"I have been in contact with the PGA Tour and am co-operating fully with their review of this matter. I will not be commenting further at this time."

Former Open Champion Mark Calcavecchia ended his promotional link with the product after being warned by the Tour in 2011.

Singh may now be liable to a suspension from pro golf. Since drug testing was introduced in golf in 2008 only one player has been banned for violating the code.

American journeyman pro Doug Barron received a one-year suspension after failing a drugs test at the St Jude Classic in 2009.

Barron was taking Lyrica as a substitute for propranolol, a banned substance and exogenous testosterone, which he received by an injection from a doctor.

He had been prescribed propranolol since the age 17 but an earlier attempt to gain a medical exemption had been denied by the Tour.

Singh spent 32 weeks as world number one between 2004 and 2005, won the Masters in 2000 and the 1998 and 2004 PGA Championship.

He is due to compete in the Tour event in Phoenix which starts on Thursday
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #155 on: February 02, 2013, 06:25 PM »

It was pretty amusing when Armstrong said that he was never afraid of getting caught. He was just more than sure when he answered that. Makes you wonder about many things.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #156 on: February 07, 2013, 10:05 PM »

RAFAEL Nadal says athletes implicated in the "Operation Puerto" trial into blood doping must be named.

In an interview with the French sports daily L'Equipe, the Spanish tennis star said he felt his reputation, and that of Spanish sport as a whole, had been tarnished by the trial.

A judge has refused to demand that doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, the suspected mastermind of one of the sporting world's biggest blood doping rackets, provide the names of athletes implicated in the scandal.

The ruling could avert a huge fall-out from the high-profile trial in Madrid but Nadal said that naming names would have been the correct thing to do.

"What is happening in Spain, I don't understand it," he told the magazine.

"I don't understand why Dr Fuentes is not giving names. And I don't understand why the judge has not asked him to do so.

"I don't understand why we never get to the bottom of these things. We need to clean everything up. I believe this doctor has worked with foreign athletes but because he is Spanish it is Spanish sport that is being prejudiced.

"As an athlete that hurts me. Because of people like (US cyclist Lance) Armstrong, we all have a dubious image.

from http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/rafael-nadal-wants-athletes-implicated-in-operation-puerto-named/story-e6frfgao-1226573101166

and from http://tennis.si.com/2013/02/07/rafael-nadal-operation-puerto-doping-case/

Nadal’s comments echo Andy Murray’s call for the alleged Operation Puerto dopers to be identified.

As for the current “Operation Puerto” trial in Spain, Murray believes it is wrong that the doctor at the centre of the alleged doping ring does not have to name his clients, who include tennis players. “I think it’s essential that the names of whoever was involved with him come out,” Murray said.

He added: “All sports – not just tennis – need to look very closely at this stuff because I think a lot has been learned from what’s happened with the Lance Armstrong situation and you don’t want that happening ever again. And I don’t want that happening for my sport because it would be terrible.”
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #157 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19 AM »

Have just posted this in tennis news but expect it to make bigger headlines than other tennis players voices due to the person saying it Rolling Eyes

Roger Federer wants more drug testing in tennis

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21419330
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #158 on: February 12, 2013, 10:34 AM »

I have just noticed that the only top four player who has said nothing about this subject is Djokovic.  I was also surprised to read somewere that he had not been tested for 6 months.  Surely that cannot be correct?  The only article I can find is him denying he uses drugs to recover.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #159 on: February 12, 2013, 11:50 AM »

What I understand is that Djokovic himself had said he had not had a blood test for 6 months. I am wondering if he is still using his pod that helps to raise oxygen in the blood. If they tested him is oxygen level in the blood would be raised. Would it be deemed illegal as he is not physically drawing blood off and putting it in storage to use at a later date of a big tournament.?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #160 on: March 07, 2013, 05:10 PM »

Tennis to implement Athlete Biological Passport programme

Tennis will implement an Athlete Biological Passport programme to support the fight against drug cheats.

The programme will collect and compare biological data and spot discrepancies over time that suggest possible doping.

The International Tennis Federation (ITF) currently tests blood and urine.

"We feel that this is the most effective way to show the world that tennis is a clean sport," said Brad Drewett, executive chairman and president of the ATP.

As with the current drug testing rules, the biological passports will not be compulsory but any athlete who refuses to take part in testing could face punishment.

The decision to introduce biological passports comes after the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme Working Group - comprised of representatives from the ITF, ATP, WTA governing bodies and Grand Slam tournaments - gave its backing.

The programme will see more blood tests conducted, particularly out of competition.

"The implementation of the Athlete Biological Passport is an important step in the evolution of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme as it provides us with a great tool in the fight against doping in our sport," said ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti.

"We also hope to have increased support from the National Anti-Doping Agencies around the world who need to do their part if we are to win this battle and make our programme more effective.

Questions have been raised by some of the sport's top players in recent months about the drug-testing programme.

Newly released data for 2012  reveals there were 2,185 tests carried out - up slightly from 2,150 in 2011). The vast majority examined urine samples - last year there were 124 in-competition blood tests (110 in 2011) and 63 out of competition (21 in 2011).

World number one Novak Djokovic recently described how the number of blood tests he undergoes has declined.

He said: "I wasn't tested with blood for last six, seven months. It was more regularly in last two, three years ago. I don't know the reason why they stopped it."

Roger Federer and Andy Murray also called  for more testing, with the Swiss claiming he was being tested less than before.

"I feel I'm being less tested now than [I was] six, seven, eight years ago," said Federer.

"I don't know the reasons [why] we are being tested less and I agree with Andy, we don't do a lot of blood testing during the year. I'm OK having more of that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21699175

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #161 on: March 09, 2013, 10:12 AM »

Here's information on the totals for players' in-competition and out-of-competition tests in 2012.

http://www.itftennis.com/media/141081/141081.pdf
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #162 on: March 10, 2013, 09:48 AM »

Tennis and doping- why did players change their tune?

This week’s announcement that tennis is to introduce the athlete biological passport to try to catch more drugs cheats was welcomed in all quarters, a boon for the sport after recent criticism that it had not been doing enough to combat doping.

For a long time, the fact that there have been relatively few (less than 70) “incidences of doping” (the ITF’s words) since the ITF took over the drug-testing in 2004 was held up of an example as to why tennis does not have an issue with drugs.

But the Lance Armstrong case and many others have shown that not failing a drugs test does not necessarily mean that an athlete is clean. It is hoped that the introduction of the passport, already used in cycling and athletics, will help flush out those who are cheating. The budget for the programme, which totalled $2 million in 2012 and is funded by the ITF, ATP Tour, WTA Tour and the four grand slams, is set to rise in 2013, with the slams reportedly agreeing to double their individual contributions to around $500,000.

The passport effectively creates a blood profile for each player, based on a number of blood tests. Rather than testing for specific drugs, any deviations beyond accepted parameters can be indicators of doping and can be used to build a case against athletes. Testers can also then target those players.

The exact details of when the passport will be fully operational (probably several months) and how many players will be tested remains to be seen. But what is really interesting is why the players changed their tune, really in the past year or so, to call for more testing and for the anti-doping process to be stepped up.

Only a few years ago, most of them were complaining about being woken up by testers, often at 6am. The whereabouts rule demands they name a place and an hour every day where they will be, so moaning about it always seemed a bit churlish.

An increase in the number of articles in the media and in the number of journalists, perhaps feeding off Armstrong, taking an interest in the subject, has resulted in the players being asked more and more questions about anti-doping. Perhaps there’s an element of PR in it all, agents telling their players that it would be in their interests to be positive, but whatever it is, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Andy Murray were among those calling for more testing, and in particular more blood testing.

In 2012, there were only 187 blood tests conducted by the ITF, in and out of competition, which was an increase from 131 in 2011 but still a woeful number when you think how many tournaments there are. Federer revealed in Indian Wells on Friday that in 2012, he was not tested in Rotterdam, Dubai and Indian Wells, despite winning all three events. “That shouldn’t be OK,” Federer said.

So why have they changed their tune? To his credit, Murray held his hands up this week and admitted he got it wrong. “I would say I was probably a bit naïve, not understanding how much that stuff goes on in sport,” the Scot said. “When you hear about the sort of lengths people were going to, to not fail a drugs test, it was ridiculous. So obviously we had to do more and I think the biological passport is a good step, but there is still more to be done than just that.”

Again to his credit, Murray said he had done some reading up on the passport and said he believed it was a good step, but needed more testing to make it work. “I don’t think we have a culture of it in tennis but stuff can go on,” Murray said. “You need to have everything in place and have everything done properly so that everyone can agree that tennis is doing everything we can. It’s not to say you’ll never get a person cheating or a few people cheating because you get it in all sports, but we need to do more.”

And Federer said he felt the change had come about because the players had made their voices heard. “Obviously the cycling issue has been around for quite some time but this year it was super-extreme,” he said. “I think that really gets you thinking that we have to make sure, ensure, do everything we possibly can. And I think the players got more vocal. I don’t recall the ITF doing anything and talking about it.”

http://www.thetennisspace.com/tennis-and-doping-why-did-players-change-their-tune/
IP Logged
gamesmanshiponadal

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #163 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01 AM »

Troicki suspended for 18 months for refusing a blood test.

The International Tennis Federation announced today that Viktor Troicki has been found to have committed an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.3 of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (refusing or failing without compelling justification to submit to sample collection).

Mr Troicki, a 27-year-old player from Serbia, was notified on 15 April 2013 that he had been selected to provide a urine sample and a blood sample in association with his participation at the Rolex Monte Carlo Masters event.

Mr Troicki provided a urine sample, but did not provide a blood sample. He asserted to an
independent tribunal that he was assured by the Doping Control Officer (DCO) that it would be acceptable not to provide a sample on account of him feeling unwell that day. However, the tribunal concluded that the DCO told Mr Troicki that she could not advise him as to whether his reason for not providing a blood sample was valid, and that no such assurances were given by her.

Accordingly, the tribunal determined that Mr Troicki’s actions constituted a failure and a refusal to provide a blood sample, and that his explanation for not doing so did not constitute  compelling justification under Article 2.3. However, the tribunal accepted that the stress that Mr Troicki was under at the time entitled him to mitigation under Article 10.5.2.

Mr Troicki’s commission of an Anti-Doping Rule Violation under Article 2.3 of the Programme was, therefore, confirmed, and the tribunal determined that he is suspended from participation for a period of 18 months, and so ending at midnight on 24 January 2015. It was also determined that Mr Troicki’s results at the 2013 Monte Carlo Rolex Masters event should be disqualified, with resulting forfeiture of the ranking points and prize money that he won at that event.

The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme is a comprehensive and internationally recognised drug-testing programme that applies to all players competing at Grand Slam tournaments and events sanctioned by the ITF, ATP, and WTA. Players are tested for substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and, upon a finding that an Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, sanctions are imposed in accordance with the requirements of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme and World Anti-Doping Code. More background information on the Programme, sanctions, tennis statistics and related information can be found at www.itftennis.com/antidoping.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=311513
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #164 on: September 03, 2013, 03:46 PM »

A few thoughts from someone who was awake in the middle of the night following the Fleming doubles, and is therefore over tired.

Tommy Robredo    Spanish  Aged 31 - Doing better than ever
David Ferrer Spanish Aged 31- Doing better than ever
Rafael Nadal Spanish Aged 27 - Purportedly with career ending knee injuries. Doing better than ever.

Roger Federer Aged 32 - Not Spanish - steady decline

Lance Armstrong............ Major purportedly career ending health issues. Mr lots of doping rumours, but never failed a drug test. Remind you of anyone?

What are your thoughts on these players ranked, for example, 13, 24, 27, 34, 35, 41, 42, 48, 49, 54, 58, 66.. etc...?

The share the following commonalities:

They are not Spanish.

They are all aged 30+
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »