Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 18176 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #345 on: September 29, 2013, 01:39 PM »

"Legend" is one of those words that's changed it's meaning, or at least has two meanings now.
What's the other one BBH?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #346 on: September 29, 2013, 02:51 PM »

"Legend" is one of those words that's changed it's meaning, or at least has two meanings now.

There are several meanings:  I have used the term on my avatar in the following senses

A. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.

B. An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #347 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05 PM »

There are several meanings:  I have used the term on my avatar in the following senses

A. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.

B. An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
Then there's the modern meanings of legend, according to the Urban Dictionary online - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=legend

Heck, I've been called a legend on MW a couple of times - so I'll leave to you to figure out exactly what that might mean! lol
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #348 on: September 29, 2013, 08:35 PM »

Then there's the modern meanings of legend, according to the Urban Dictionary online - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=legend

Heck, I've been called a legend on MW a couple of times - so I'll leave to you to figure out exactly what that might mean! lol

The second one, seriously you're one of the coolest grannies I have ever met.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #349 on: September 29, 2013, 08:42 PM »

Gangsta that is probably the only thing you've said I absolutely agree with. 
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #350 on: September 29, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Nadal and Joker have/had too much to lose to be dopers. If they were outed they would be ruined. I dont believe they are doping.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #351 on: September 29, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Gangsta that is probably the only thing you've said I absolutely agree with. 

I'm insulted, but happy, Weird.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #352 on: September 29, 2013, 08:55 PM »

Thanks Gangsta, I really like that compliment ... lol
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #353 on: September 29, 2013, 09:28 PM »

2) I am still of the opinion that the doping controls in tennis are a complete joke.

Agree with you.

.. my conclusions are based simply on what I have seen and read..

What have you seen and read?

To sum up, nothing I have seen or read since I started following tennis a couple of years ago..

You are basing all of your opinions on the past couple of years? Have you not followed these athletes throughout their careers?

Do I think that Murray would be so loyal to Nadal that he would turn a
blind eye to him doping? Yes there are certain situations whereby I could see that happening.....
... I think all that we have seen of him would suggests that he is too honest, too straight, has too much integrity to go down that route. I suspect that a victory won by dishonest means, would be no victory to him. Not too mention the fact that guile doesn't seem to feature highly in his make up. We all can tell fairly instantly when he comes out on the court what sort of mood he is in. He appears to be something of an open book. 

Exactly the reason why I do not believe Andy would hide anything about Rafa.

..  Nadal actually saddens me. He doesn't come over as a happy and contented young man. I am about to read his biography, but from what people are saying it is an unhappy read.

Looks pretty happy right now in all the stuff I see out there. Lots of pics of him partying, sailing, having fun with his lovely Xisca, and training in the gym, too.

I can post them here if you like?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #354 on: September 29, 2013, 11:55 PM »

But then you could also suggest those ones that a more vocal about doping controls are doing it to avert themselves from any suspiscion.
Can you explain why you quoted my post, then said "but ..." to make this point?

I didn't claim that Andy, or anyone else, looked clean because they were vocal about doping controls.  I'm not that naive and deliberately avoided making that point.  It's a whole other can of worms, and had nothing to do with my point.

I was agreeing with the suggestion that Andy is aware of the allegations about doping in sport, and understands that any apparent secrecy fuels suspicion, and that he probably had that in mind when deciding to tweet a photo of him in his hospital bed and invited the journalists to his training camp.

I only mentioned the interview where he suggested they come to watch him train was the one where he called for increased doping controls to demonstrate that this suggestion came during the aftermath of the Armstrong revelations.  I don't believe it was a coincidence, and Andy knew full well that it was more than just a jolly photo-opportunity.

As I said before, in the past it was more normal for training regimes to be hush-hush, and it is easy to understand why.  However, in today's climate, a player has to balance the potential competitive advantage of a top secret training regime with having everyone gossip about you.  Similarly, it's possible Andy didn't really want the general public to see him a bit bleary eyed and vulnerable in a hospital gown, but he knew it was the best way to prevent (or rather reduce) gossip about why he was absent.

I've no idea if Rafa, or anyone else, is clean.  I do know that the doping programme has been rubbish, and while it is improving, it will never be perfect.  I also know that a lot of the blogs about doping are filled with conspiracies and spurious logic, and a lot of fans just want to find excuses for why their favourite was beaten. 
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #355 on: September 30, 2013, 12:10 AM »

I think in thi day and age it is probably a little naive to think tennis is totally clean. That is not to say I am accusing anyone of doping. But there are hundreds of pro tennis players, the law of averages suggests tey can't all be clean, it would be unrealistic given it happens in most other sports.

However, what concerns me is the way it is dealt with. Silent bans ????? The way the Cilic case has been handled is only going to lead to a lot of suspicious finger pointing every time a player says they are out injured - at one point Tsonga was being mentioned (glad to say that died away v quickly) when he withdrew from events following his Wimbledon injury. Doesn't really create a very nice environment for players or fans. Imagine everytime you had to phone in sick to work you had to prove your incapacity to the world at large.
Hopefully the biometric passports will help tennis gets it's house a bit more in order.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #356 on: September 30, 2013, 03:25 AM »

I think in thi day and age it is probably a little naive to think tennis is totally clean. That is not to say I am accusing anyone of doping. But there are hundreds of pro tennis players, the law of averages suggests tey can't all be clean, it would be unrealistic given it happens in most other sports.

However, what concerns me is the way it is dealt with. Silent bans ????? The way the Cilic case has been handled is only going to lead to a lot of suspicious finger pointing every time a player says they are out injured - at one point Tsonga was being mentioned (glad to say that died away v quickly) when he withdrew from events following his Wimbledon injury. Doesn't really create a very nice environment for players or fans. Imagine everytime you had to phone in sick to work you had to prove your incapacity to the world at large.
Hopefully the biometric passports will help tennis gets it's house a bit more in order.
I agree Westie.  

However I came across on the internet an article, published in July this year, about a method of testing for blood doping in sports using an under-the-skin chip implant which is the brainchild of scientists in Switzerland.  It's still being tested and is unlikely to be available for four years, but, if the tests are successful, it sounds a very good idea to me -

The article starts with a reference to an American baseball player who is about to be suspended for persistent drug violations, and continues -

He’s certainly not the only drug cheat in sports, though. For years, cycling has been blighted by doping, most notably from the disgraced Lance Armstrong and a string of fellow pro cyclists, who won races. And Jamaican track stars, Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson recently tested positive for illegal drugs.

Needless to say, it’s a massive slap in the face for fans, who pay their hard-earned money to follow sports and idolize the stars within them.

Can’t we at least watch a fair fight?

Well, Swiss scientists at the SPFL technology institute think they’ve found the answer to eliminate drug cheats from sport.

It’s called the IronIC – a chip implant that’s designed to monitor naturally-occurring substances in the blood. As a result, they say it could also be used to identify dopers.

Containing seven sensors, the chip is implanted underneath the skin and is then left to monitor the subject’s blood for up to a year. The sensors are coated with an enzyme that captures certain substances.

A patch then sits on top of the skin, which transmits the power. And the scientists have tapped into more modern technology to compile the results.

As one of IronIC’s designers, Jacobo Olivo, says: “The patch is equipped with a Bluetooth model, so we can control the patch from far away using an Android application that we’ve designed running on smartphones or tablets.”

That means researchers can track substances in the blood in real-time.

Full article - http://www.techandinnovationdaily.com/2013/07/30/blood-doping-in-sports/
[ Last edit by Aileen September 30, 2013, 03:30 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #357 on: September 30, 2013, 07:32 AM »

@Aileen
Actually I don't like the sound of that "IronIC" at all.
It sounds horribly "Big Brother" to me. I don't think you should force anyone to have an invasive procedure.
Athletes first, the rest of us next?  nah
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #358 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58 AM »

@Aileen
Actually I don't like the sound of that "IronIC" at all.
It sounds horribly "Big Brother" to me. I don't think you should force anyone to have an invasive procedure.
Athletes first, the rest of us next?  nah

I sort of agree, but reading further I think it has been developed for  monitoring of blood results in medical cases. I have monthly blood tests, if it meant I could avoid those and the chemicals in my blood were being monitored constantly it would be a good thing. I would go for it. Wouldn't it also avoid the farces of people like Troiki claiming a needle phobia to avoid being tested at an inconvenient time, or even the complaints about being woken up at ungodly hours for the drugs testers.

I haven't quite decided yet. The natural reaction is to reject the idea as being too big brotherish, but given most of us are probably being tracked to a certain extent through the chips in our mobile phones anyway, perhaps it's not such a big step after all ?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #359 on: September 30, 2013, 08:24 AM »

^ Yes Masaka......I can see why people like yourself would be glad of it, but it would be awful to think that everytime a sportsperson had a glass of wine with their dinner, that someone on the other side of the world would know about it! I don't think they'd agree to it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »