Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 17144 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #390 on: October 02, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Victor Troicki to appeal his ban from tennis with the CAS

Victor Troicki is confident of overturning his 18-month suspension from tennis when he takes his case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport on 9 October.

"I will attend the appeal in person for sure. I am fighting for the truth and I will do it as hard as I can," said Troicki, a member of the winning Serbian team in the 2010 Davis Cup.

"Reading all the papers of the previous trial in London I can't understand why I have been sanctioned, especially this hard."

The report published by the ITF tribunal panel insisted the doping control official in Monte Carlo had 15 years' experience in her work, and was "conscientious and cautious" in giving evidence.

"Her response was that this was not a matter upon which she could advise the player," it added, while Trociki was described as "someone prone to exaggeration in order to make his point."

Full article: http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12040/8951928/victor-troicki-to-appeal-his-ban-from-tennis-with-the-cas
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #391 on: October 03, 2013, 09:25 AM »

He said he doesn't understand why he was sanctioned! Does he think he should be a special case because he's scared of needles? Lots of people are scared of needles! He needs to 'man up' and grow a pair!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #392 on: October 03, 2013, 03:13 PM »

If he's that scared of needles, how has he managed to cope with giving blood samples in the past?  I suppose he might argue that because this phobia stresses him anyway, he was already stressed enough because he was allegedly ill, although if he's prone to exaggeration then perhaps he genuinely was feeling unwell but hammed it up a bit.

If he was in hospital he wouldn't have the option of refusing to give a blood sample, so why should the doping authorities be any different?  He knew the rules yet chose not to bide by them and was quite rightly penalised for it.  I think he should consider himself lucky that his ban was reduced in the first place, although it'll be interesting to hear what the outcome of his appeal is.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #393 on: October 03, 2013, 03:36 PM »

If he's that scared of needles, how has he managed to cope with giving blood samples in the past?  I suppose he might argue that because this phobia stresses him anyway, he was already stressed enough because he was allegedly ill, although if he's prone to exaggeration then perhaps he genuinely was feeling unwell but hammed it up a bit.

If he was in hospital he wouldn't have the option of refusing to give a blood sample, so why should the doping authorities be any different?  He knew the rules yet chose not to bide by them and was quite rightly penalised for it.  I think he should consider himself lucky that his ban was reduced in the first place, although it'll be interesting to hear what the outcome of his appeal is.

His excuse seems weak to me. If he was well enough to go to doping control to give a urine sample, then he was well enough to give a blood sample imo. If it had been me, no matter how ill I felt I'd have given a blood sample because the consequences of not giving one would be far worse.

It'll be interesting to see how his appeal goes. I wouldn't be surprised if his ban gets reduced to 12 months, but don't see him getting any further reductions. It would send the totally wrong message to players that they can get away with missing a test.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #394 on: October 03, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Re Troicki - surely if he had a genuine phobia about needles, that is/was that severe, he would have put arrangements in place as soon as he started on the tour? Given that we know there are some  PED's that don't show up in the blood after a set period of time, it is difficult not to be suspicious - at least for me anyway.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #395 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05 PM »

Phobia of needles?  Sorry - I don't believe a word of it.  If he was so ill that he couldn't give a blood sample why was he playing in the first place?  This seems to be a damage limitation exercise to me - miss the blood test and he can still claim innocence - give blood and be declared a cheat - no contest! 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #396 on: October 03, 2013, 05:23 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how his appeal goes. I wouldn't be surprised if his ban gets reduced to 12 months, but don't see him getting any further reductions. It would send the totally wrong message to players that they can get away with missing a test.
I agree Katie, although his excuse is so flimsy I think he's going to have to put up an extremely convincing argument against his ban if he has any hope of a further reduction.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #397 on: October 03, 2013, 11:09 PM »

Methinks Troicki wouldn't go for the chip-thingie-implant some of you are talking about.

He'd need major drugs to survive that procedure.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #398 on: October 03, 2013, 11:47 PM »

Re Troicki - surely if he had a genuine phobia about needles, that is/was that severe, he would have put arrangements in place as soon as he started on the tour? Given that we know there are some  PED's that don't show up in the blood after a set period of time, it is difficult not to be suspicious - at least for me anyway.

Quite. He has to be a doper.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #399 on: October 03, 2013, 11:51 PM »

Quite. He has to be a doper.

If this did not turn out to be the case.... haha.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #400 on: October 04, 2013, 03:31 AM »

If this did not turn out to be the case.... haha.
If that does happen I'll run along Princes Street naked be very surprised indeed.  Maybe not dope, but he's been up to something illegal, that's for sure.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #401 on: October 04, 2013, 08:38 AM »

Exactly Aileen......I don't believe a word of it! Either he's a doper or just a dope! Me? I think the people in Princes Street are safe....and if it turns out they aren't.....I'll join you!  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #402 on: October 04, 2013, 09:33 AM »

For goodness sake Aileen, if your gonna promise to do that, choose somewhere warm to do it! Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #403 on: October 04, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Exactly Aileen......I don't believe a word of it! Either he's a doper or just a dope! Me? I think the people in Princes Street are safe....and if it turns out they aren't.....I'll join you!  Whistle
Or a bit of both because only dopes use dope.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #404 on: October 04, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Dopeleen Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »