Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 17136 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #510 on: October 16, 2013, 09:53 AM »

There was an interesting interview on BBC Breakfast this morning with the guy who was given access to film Armstrong during his 'come back'.  He then followed all the aftermath of the doping disclosures and has released a documentary called 'The Armstrong Lie'.  I thought perhaps his most interesting comment was that Armstrong is still, to an extent, in denial in that he thinks at some stage at least one of his Tour de France titles will be returned to him - baffling!  
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #511 on: October 16, 2013, 11:22 AM »

I support Masaka  when she says that you only have to put anything to do with doping in tennis into Google and you will most certainly come up with Nadal and Djokovic as being suspects.  In fact, this is why I started to investigate and then read Nadal's book.

As far as the gym work for Nadal is concerned he has himself told the press that he does not do 'gym'. Seeing the photos will not change my mind and neither does anything coming out of the Nadal camp.

I do think that the slanging matches on this thread are quite unneccesary but it would help if they were ignored and not fuelled by answers.

Andy also comes up as a suspect, thoughts about that?
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #512 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27 PM »

I would not accuse anyone of doping without concrete evidence but I have suspicions because I know concrete evidence is very hard to come by.   There are players I do not trust and if I was asked to put my life savings on a tennis player as a non-doper, my money would go on Andy.       
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #513 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54 PM »

I know Andy is out of action but its a sorry state of affairs when this thread has been the most popular in recent weeks Frown there's so many other nice things we could talk about like andys great wins, etc.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #514 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28 PM »

I was interested to see Scotnadian's collection of photographs of Rafa in the gym.  In none of them - apart from the last on the cross-trainer - does he appear to be breaking sweat and yet he sweats profusely on the tennis court - curious.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #515 on: October 16, 2013, 04:59 PM »

I know Andy is out of action but its a sorry state of affairs when this thread has been the most popular in recent weeks Frown there's so many other nice things we could talk about like andys great wins, etc.

Good posting! goodjob clap

We need to come up with some good threads to keep us going!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #516 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18 PM »

I appreciate what you are saying but given this thread has only been going a year it has a mere 35 pages.  The Wimbledon final is up to 175 pages, the Davies Cup this year is 45, so perhaps it is not as bad as all that.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #517 on: October 16, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I appreciate what you are saying but given this thread has only been going a year it has a mere 35 pages.  The Wimbledon final is up to 175 pages, the Davies Cup this year is 45, so perhaps it is not as bad as all that.

Ooh come on!! The Wimbledon final?? Lol of course its gonna be hundreds of pages it was one of the most special days of most folk on this forums lives Smile we will still be commenting on that page for YEARS to come probably. All I'm saying is let's try get more positive and happy threads up and running. I will have a wee think lol
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #518 on: October 16, 2013, 05:45 PM »

How about one  on funny tennis memories. I still crease up remembering Federer's hysterical sob fest when he won his first Wimbledon, he was boo hooing uncontrollably - and loudly -all over Sue Barker.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #519 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55 PM »

Ooh come on!! The Wimbledon final?? Lol of course its gonna be hundreds of pages it was one of the most special days of most folk on this forums lives Smile we will still be commenting on that page for YEARS to come probably. All I'm saying is let's try get more positive and happy threads up and running. I will have a wee think lol

Completely valid point. Probably the one really daft example to cite, although my predominant memories of that day are being on Arran, having voluntarily handed my phone over, to stop me spending the afternoon checking the live scores. I had invited myself on the break and so felt an obligation to be interested in what we were doing.  I can remember getting back to base and reclaiming my phone - my hands were literally shaking when I switched it on. I can't quite describe the relief when the Sky news headline flashed up that our man had defeated Novak D, to take the title.

There you are Masaka going off topic on the Doping Thread......!!!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #520 on: October 16, 2013, 10:07 PM »

Why not now?

Selective? In what way?

Not trying to change your view. Just putting mine out there.

Yup. I know nowt about tennis. I just do 'superficial' internet search(es)  Sigh...

Guess you haven't read my Lance Armstrong thread here, then?

Sincerely looking forward to a logical discussion with sources, Masaka.

The tone of this response suggests to me that we are coming at this subject from such diametrically opposing viewpoints, that it will be impossible to find any common ground.

Your opinion and some other posters is that Nadal and Djokovic et al are clean players. My opinion, and that of a different group of posters is they are not.  There is also a third group who have no firm views either way.

An opinion is simply a judgement, viewpoint or statement about a matter that is commonly considered to be subjective, ie based on that which is less than certain.

I can't produce evidence that Nadal and co are dopers, if I could this thread would be redundant as they would all be off the tour with bans.

Equally we know from Lance Armstrong that apparently passing drugs tests is not necessarily an indication a sportsman is clean.

The tennis authorities condoning a player using the excuse of a knee injury to hide a failed drugs test is not without precedent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/private-doping-probes-seen-hurting-tennis-as-cilic-feigns-injury.html

I think we need to agree to differ on this one. 

Thanks,

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #521 on: October 16, 2013, 10:39 PM »

The tone of this response suggests to me that we are coming at this subject from such diametrically opposing viewpoints, that it will be impossible to find any common ground.

Your opinion and some other posters is that Nadal and Djokovic et al are clean players. My opinion, and that of a different group of posters is they are not.  There is also a third group who have no firm views either way.

An opinion is simply a judgement, viewpoint or statement about a matter that is commonly considered to be subjective, ie based on that which is less than certain.

I can't produce evidence that Nadal and co are dopers, if I could this thread would be redundant as they would all be off the tour with bans.

Equally we know from Lance Armstrong that apparently passing drugs tests is not necessarily an indication a sportsman is clean.

The tennis authorities condoning a player using the excuse of a knee injury to hide a failed drugs test is not without precedent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/private-doping-probes-seen-hurting-tennis-as-cilic-feigns-injury.html

I think we need to agree to differ on this one. 

Thanks,

Thanks for the link, Masaka. I'm well aware of the Cilic fiasco, and Andy was (quite rightly) incredibly transparent and vocal about it.

But your post wasn't the response I was expecting...

Why do you think Rafa and Nole are doping? What makes you have such a strident opinion on these particular players?

Frankly I was expecting you to come back with your thoughts on PRP, and possibly stats on igf-1, etc..

Here's Tommy Haas getting his very painful PRP (an athlete can't take NSAID's after treatment because this is prohibited by WADA.) I remember you saying you were also suspicious of him. (Tsonga had it for his knee injury, and Sharpova for her shoulder injury.)

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #522 on: October 16, 2013, 10:43 PM »

My brother who's an old man now, used to be into bodybuilding and had a body 'at least' as good as Andy Murray, which he managed to achieve 'solely' through sheer hard work! He was a bit of a 'health fanatic' and frowned on the people he knew who used anabolic steroids.  I find even the 'inference' that Andy Murray 'might' have used anything illegal, quite sickening! As far as Nadal is concerned, I have never accused him of using drugs, but already knowing he's a cheat, I wouldn't put it past him, so I do have my suspicions and seeing photos of him doing a few excercises won't change my mind! Re my edit, I'd just like to add, that until the powers that be decide to be open, honest and 'transparent', I doubt anybody will change their minds!

Right on, Caz.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #523 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51 PM »

I support Masaka  when she says that you only have to put anything to do with doping in tennis into Google and you will most certainly come up with Nadal and Djokovic as being suspects.  In fact, this is why I started to investigate and then read Nadal's book.

As far as the gym work for Nadal is concerned he has himself told the press that he does not do 'gym'. Seeing the photos will not change my mind and neither does anything coming out of the Nadal camp.
I do think that the slanging matches on this thread are quite unneccesary but it would help if they were ignored and not fuelled by answers.

You are right, Tamila. He did say that many years ago. But he much prefers to do aerobic work in his pool.

Here he is doing that, plus stuff he does in the gym.

Here is his oxygen bubble:

..and his anti-gravity treadmill:

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #524 on: October 16, 2013, 10:56 PM »

I was interested to see Scotnadian's collection of photographs of Rafa in the gym.  In none of them - apart from the last on the cross-trainer - does he appear to be breaking sweat and yet he sweats profusely on the tennis court - curious.

I dunno, Alis. Maybe those pics were taken before he started sweating in his A/C gym. Shrug

Sweating on the tennis court is something many tennis players do, including Andy.

Unless you're insinuating some other reason regarding Rafa's on-court sweating?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 ... 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »