Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Doping in Tennis ?  (Read 15661 times)
marathonarthur
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #555 on: November 08, 2013, 09:25 AM »

Here's Federer's take on the Troicki incident; & his view is that they are not tested enough: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24858647

I think that is quite right. Drug testing is part of being a sportsman. You have to follow the rules as you have to have an acceptable racquet to play with. (Shoes also)! Novak did the emotional response for a friend and made an ill judged comment. Some did the same for Lance Armstrong!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #556 on: November 08, 2013, 10:04 AM »

Well said by Federer. It's all very well Troicki shifting the blame onto the official, but at the end of the day he must have known the rules and the consequences of missing a test (and if he didn't, he should have done).
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #557 on: November 08, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Well said by Federer. It's all very well Troicki shifting the blame onto the official, but at the end of the day he must have known the rules and the consequences of missing a test (and if he didn't, he should have done).

I agree - and also I find it hard to think that Cilic, as a professional sportsman, would just take something  bought for him without checking what exactly is in it.

Federer's comment at the end of his interview too, made me wonder just how many times other players have been tested during their amazing runs of consecutive titles.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #558 on: November 08, 2013, 12:17 PM »

It doesn't happen often in all honesty, but for once I agree wholeheartedly with Federer. Troicki really doesn't have any excuse in that he should have known what the rules were. I still feel the one area where Djokovic was right is that someone from the ATP should have been around when Troicki was tested, but the fact remains Troicki should have known the rules.

Initially I didn't see that what Troicki has done was so very bad, in the sense that there was no evidence he had doped, but I can see that it had to be dealt with as if he had. In the light of that I don't think he's doing himself any favours to try to shift the blame.

As for Cilic, I regard him as lucky. There might not be any real evidence he intended to dope, but I think a player has an obligation to themselves to know what they are taking. I also think it's highly questionable that the authorities knew he was lying when he cited an injury as the reason he was pulling out of Wimbledon, when he knew it was because he failed a drugs test earlier in the year. The authorities knew he was telling lies and they went along with it. I think that points the authorities in a very dubious position.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #559 on: November 08, 2013, 12:53 PM »

I don't often agree with Fed either but I'm with him on this one.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #560 on: November 08, 2013, 05:38 PM »

Russell Fuller ‏@russellcfuller
Andy Murray has just told BBC Sport that  Viktor Troicki & Marin Cilic were 'unprofessional' in the actions which led to their doping bans

He thinks there needs to be 'almost zero tolerance' so players aren't tempted to cheat & sport can regain the public's trust
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #561 on: November 08, 2013, 05:43 PM »

Andy Murray has just told BBC Sport that  Viktor Troicki & Marin Cilic were 'unprofessional' in the actions which led to their doping bans

He thinks there needs to be 'almost zero tolerance' so players aren't tempted to cheat & sport can regain the public's trust

Well said Andy!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #562 on: November 08, 2013, 06:31 PM »

Well said Andy!

That's exactly right. To my mind it all comes back to the sport not just being clean, it has to be seen to be clean.

Well said indeed Andy.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #563 on: November 08, 2013, 08:49 PM »

And here's the video clip of Andy speaking up. I think he comes across very well  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24875821
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #564 on: November 09, 2013, 09:50 AM »

Thanks for the link MP! I think that what Andy and Federer said is absolutely correct and Djokovic is not doing either himself or the sport any favours! He's being very childish in my view!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #565 on: November 13, 2013, 07:36 PM »

I see a female doubles player has been banned for two years by the WTA.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doping-spanish-tennis-player-llagostera-vives-banned-2-181430832--ten.html?.tsrc=warhol#2dyReTr

IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #566 on: November 13, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Irrelevant mug. She did nothing on the tour anyway so it isn't a huge loss.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #567 on: November 13, 2013, 07:53 PM »

LOL the WADA and ITF once again trying to make a scapegoat out of someone irrelevant once more!.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #568 on: November 14, 2013, 08:18 AM »

@gangsta
Didn't she beat Laura somewhere?
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #569 on: November 15, 2013, 10:46 AM »

Thanks Alis! Interesting that she's Spanish too!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »