Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Doping in Tennis ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Down Reply
Author

Doping in Tennis ?

(Read 17237 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #570 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34 PM »

An interesting article by Simon Briggs in The Telegraph where he talks about the ITF's "flimsy anti-doping programme" - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10453488/Novak-Djokovics-comments-in-wake-of-Viktor-Troicki-ban-prove-that-the-tennis-family-is-too-dysfunctional.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #571 on: November 16, 2013, 04:00 AM »

An interesting article by Simon Briggs in The Telegraph where he talks about the ITF's "flimsy anti-doping programme" - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10453488/Novak-Djokovics-comments-in-wake-of-Viktor-Troicki-ban-prove-that-the-tennis-family-is-too-dysfunctional.html
Thanks matchpoint.  I agree with Briggs that Djokovic should have received some form of disciplinary action from the tennis authorities.  It's one thing to want to help a close friend but quite another to be heard publicly condoning them for doing something wrong and, in this case, by accusing the doping control officer of being negligent and unprofessional.  Djokovic did not witness what went on that day, so his comments are based solely on hearsay, i.e. he chose to believe what Troicki told him about this incident and reacted in a manner unbefitting a top world tennis professional.

Hopefully the ATP's new chairman is a man made of stern stuff who can bring leadership and discipline to what Briggs justifiably calls tennis's dysfunctional family.

IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #572 on: November 29, 2013, 09:01 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/25109296
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #573 on: November 29, 2013, 09:45 PM »

Thanks Alis.  Interesting interview with Andy as well.

I agree that the tennis authorities need to get their act together and increase the number of tests, but at the same time the onus is on all players, no matter what their ranking, to familiarise themselves with the Rules - to which end they receive an abridged version of them which they're supposed to carry with them at all times - so if they fail to do this then they should get no sympathy when caught out.

There's no excuse either for not reading labels properly when it comes to over the counter purchases.  The UK has the highest standard of drug control in the world, while other countries are more lax with some more lax than others, the Far East in particular, and if there's something they're not sure about they should seek the pharmacist's advice.  If that doesn't clarify matters then don't buy the product!  As a diabetic I have to be very careful what I take because some things can interfere with blood sugar levels, so if I'm left in any doubt at all, that's it.

Also if players are taking any medication or supplements, whether prescribed or bought over the counter, while they're in competition, they have a duty to inform the tournament doctor and thereby check whether or not they contain a substance on the banned list.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #574 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00 AM »

I absolutely agree, Aileen.  I do not have anything like diabetes but still check anything I buy over the counter as, if nothing else, I like to know exactly what is going into my body.  I do have an aversion to pills which has been difficult while I have had such problems with my hips but still kept painkillers to a minimum.  All sportspeople should be sensible enough to check what they are taking and to know the rules.

The interesting bit in this article is the piece about the 'gene'.  I read an article about this not long ago and found it extremely interesting as it explains why some sportspeople give the impression of doping but do not fail tests!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #575 on: December 01, 2013, 02:10 AM »

I must find out more about this gene theory because it does sound very interesting.

What concerns me though is that there are some perfectly legal prescription drugs which contain banned substances.  Although this is likely to be a small amount, it could still result in a positive test.  No wonder some sportsmen and women refuse to take even prescribed drugs while they're in competition.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #576 on: December 01, 2013, 01:38 PM »

Not really about doping. An article in todays paper states that Type 2 Diabetes can lead to Alzheimers  found it quite interesting. It said that it can help plaques form in the brain due to to much insulin. It also said that losing weight and regular exercise is one way to avoid it. Well I have lost three stone in weight and my sugar is in normal limits. But here's the catch the diabetic medication will ruin your kidneys at present mine are only at 26% so what you gain you lose I suppose that's life.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #577 on: December 01, 2013, 08:49 PM »

Not really about doping. An article in todays paper states that Type 2 Diabetes can lead to Alzheimers  found it quite interesting. It said that it can help plaques form in the brain due to to much insulin. It also said that losing weight and regular exercise is one way to avoid it. Well I have lost three stone in weight and my sugar is in normal limits. But here's the catch the diabetic medication will ruin your kidneys at present mine are only at 26% so what you gain you lose I suppose that's life.
I do love the scare stories the media print. Rolling Eyes  Fortunately my BS levels are fairly well under control, although I am a bit overweight and my only exercise is going to the shops.  I don't do much housework either because I only have two rooms - a bedroom and a livingroom with a kitchen recess - and, of course, a bathroom.

I'm very sorry though that your kidneys have been so badly affected by the med. hug
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #578 on: January 10, 2014, 07:19 AM »

Just to make a point, I for one am really happy with the fact that Mr M has returned from his four month layoff showing signs of rustiness and the fact he has had an injury.

Compare and contrast with a certain Nadal after his 7 month layoff from purportedly career ending knee injuries....!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #579 on: January 10, 2014, 11:09 PM »

Interesting you should mention that Masaka because I was thinking the same, and so do a couple of friends.  But did you know that Nadal is now receiving some 'special treatment' to help his knees, which he claims is successful?  It was actually mentioned in a newspaper report, and a reliable newspaper at that, but said treatment wasn't specified, and it occurred to me just how suspicious the media are about what's been going on, and apparently still is, only they don't dare come out and say so without any concrete evidence, else they could be charged with libel.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #580 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05 AM »

Masaka and Aileen I agree.  I have always said 'there is no smoke without fire' and these suspicions have been around re: Spanish players for a very long time. Last year just seemed to good to be true. My aunt who is 91 has even begun to question this and she tends to be very na├»ve.  I am very glad that Andy's return is more consistent with someone who has had an injury.  So many sportsmen come back and normally take quite a while to return to their best.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #581 on: January 11, 2014, 07:57 AM »

@ Aileen and Tamila.  Glad I am not the only one. With regard to Nadal's special treatment I simply don't believe a word that comes out of the Nadal's camp. Given I personally don't believe he actually has any form of proper knee injuries beyond the normal wear and tear you would expect in a sportsman playing a high impact sport like tennis for a long period. IMHO it's all bulls**t. We refer to Federer as Frauderer on here. I think he is a rank amateur compared with the biggest fraud of them all - Rafael Nadal. Just my opinion.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #582 on: January 11, 2014, 04:20 PM »

@Aileen
How about swimming? Brilliant exercise for all ages and council run baths are cheap and usually have concessionary rates.
BTW more and more evidence that refined sugar is really, really bad for you, leading to diabetes and all sorts,  and manufacturers add it to everything! 6 teaspoons in Heinz Tomato soup eg shocking
Firmly off topic now, so will stop!
[ Last edit by blueberryhill January 11, 2014, 04:23 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #583 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56 PM »

@ Aileen and Tamila.  Glad I am not the only one. With regard to Nadal's special treatment I simply don't believe a word that comes out of the Nadal's camp. Given I personally don't believe he actually has any form of proper knee injuries beyond the normal wear and tear you would expect in a sportsman playing a high impact sport like tennis for a long period. IMHO it's all bulls**t. We refer to Federer as Frauderer on here. I think he is a rank amateur compared with the biggest fraud of them all - Rafael Nadal. Just my opinion.
I really have no idea why Fed gets called Frauderer because I seriously doubt he would sink that low. 

Nadal's Unlcle Toni has no scruples whatsoever, and I don't entirely believe the story that he coerced his nephew into doing something dishonest, although it seems to me that if Toni says 'jump' Nadal asks 'how high?'  Between that and living a constant lie, no wonder he's a psychological wreck.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 11, 2014, 08:00 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Doping in Tennis ? « Reply #584 on: January 11, 2014, 08:12 PM »

I really have no idea why Fed gets called Frauderer because I seriously doubt he would sink that low. 

Nadal's Unlcle Toni has no scruples whatsoever, and I don't entirely believe the story that he coerced his nephew into doing something dishonest, although it seems to me that if Toni says 'jump' Nadal asks 'how high?'  Between that and living a constant lie, no wonder he's a psychological wreck.

Muger Frauderer.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »