Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Favourite Matches of 2013 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Favourite Matches of 2013

(Read 341 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Favourite Matches of 2013 « on: December 10, 2013, 01:04 PM »

I think the Wimbledon Final would be the match of choice for most people on MW but there are many others that deserve a mention.
Andy's defeat of Roger at the AO is pretty memorable, not the least for Fed's hissy fit at the net and Andy's response, at the time and after.
I also rate Rafa and Nole's match at RG. Really thought Nole would pull that one out of the bag.
Another, the Fed v Delboy at the WTF, which I saw live. A brilliant contest full of lovely shot making and great variety and again either could've won.
Am sure I'll think of some others.
Over to you.
#Let'sTalkTennis
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:21 PM »

1) Wimbledon Final, Andy vs Djokovic. Not the highest quality of matches, but tops the list for obvious reasons.

2) Australian Open Semi Final, Andy vs Fraud. Much higher quality then the Wimbledon Final, imo.

3) Queens Semi Final, Andy vs Tsonga. The real Final I guess now, given Mugrin Cillic got caught. Some talented shotmaking on display.

4) Shanghai Semi Final, Del Potro vs Thugdal. An epic performance by DelPo. Thugdal really could not deal with talented shot making from Juan.

5) World Tour Final, Djokovic vs Thugdal. Was there live. Was great to see Novak destroy the butt picker and win his second straight WTF crown, in convincing fashion.

6) Wimbledon Semi Final 1, Djokovic vs Goatro. An epic baseline duel.

7) Wimbledon Semi Final 2, Murray vs Janowicz. A future star in the making. Took a set of the eventual Wimbledon champ. Always great to see two of my favs go at it.

8) Basel Final, Del Potro vs Frauderer. Good match. Fraud actually played well in the second set. But once more, Juan made him cry in his back yard. Epic.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 01:59 PM »

Serena = FO Final, YEC Final, USO Final, YEC vs Kvitova, USO vs Sloane
Andy = Wimbledon final, AO Final, AO SF
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:56 PM »

@Prod
Yep, definitely that Andy v Tsonga match at Queens, what gorgeous shot making from him!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:47 PM »

1. Wimbledon final, for obvious reasons. I don't quite see how anyone could think it wasn't a quality match. The ball striking from both men was so clean it was bonker, a lot of the shot-making was superb. Tough conditions and a crowd roaring Andy on, who could ask for more than that. That last game still nearly kills me every time! Djokovic is also highly amusing when he's getting annoyed.

2. The AO semi, just because. Andy could probably have done it in 3, and certainly in four, but never mind. It was worth it to see Federer getting more and more frustrated. Watching him appear to think he was in with a chance before Andy pulled the rug from under him was priceless.

3. The first round at Queen's, Andy against Mahut. Given that Mahut beat Andy at the same stage in 2012, I know there was more than one jittery person about this one, but Andy came through and put a marker down for things to come in more ways than one.

4. Queen's semi final, Andy vs Tsonga. Always a pleasure to watch two of my favourite boys fighting it out. Some lovely shot-making.

5. Queen's final. Because Andy won and Cilic didn't, so there! I know, I'm letting out my inner child Smile.

6. French Open Quarter final, Tsonga/Federer. I haven't laughed so much for ages. Tsonga played so well and Federer........

7. Djokovic/Wawrinka, the AO, but I can't remember what round it was! This was definitely the year Stan nailed his colours to the mast big time, and one day I might forgive him for the USO.

8. Quarter final, Wimbledon, Andy vs Verdasco. What a comeback. For me this was the moment I knew it was meant to be. Written in the stars, fate, call it what you like, this match at SW19 was the one where I just knew it was Andy's time.

9. Wimbledon semi final, Djokovic/Delpo. For me this didn't start out particularly special, but it became compulsive viewing.

I can think of at least a couple more, but that will do.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09 PM »

Forgot stan vs Djoker. That was the match of the year no questions asked.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Nobody like Murray / Ferrer Miami final? Murray stole that one out of the bag, super close.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:27 PM »

It was bad quality though.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:59 PM »

I like the gritty matches where Andy battles through.

The best two matches of the year for me were at the AO:
AO 4th round: Wawrinka / Djokovic - incredible match
AO 3rd round: Simon / Monfils  - sheerly epic match

My favs of Andy's were:
Miami F  - Ferrer
AO SF  - Federer
Wimbledon QF  - Verdasco
Wimbledon SF  - Janowicz
Wimbledon F  - Djokovic
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:59 PM »

It was bad quality though.

Not all the way through though, and the conditions had a lot to do with it.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Hmm tough one - maybe I won' t put them in order!

Andy v Fed in Oz (I too enjoyed Feds hissy fit), wasn't watching live (recall a morning sneaking peeks at live score app on my phone hidden undder worksheets on my desk),

Djoko v Wawrinka in Oz, great way to spend a Sunday morning

Queen's final and the charity matches. We waited ages for it to stop raining and the sun came out  in more ways than one. Super smiley Sunday.

Wimbledon final. Because!

There was a great Monfils match at start of French open, can't recall who against but it went on forever and was great fun.

Azarenka Lizicki semi at Wimbledon.

Djoko Del Po semi at Wimbledon, had me gripped- took my mind off worrying about Andy's semi.

Federer Del po at the O2 - I was tere to see it, really great hitting and atmosphere.

No doubt I'll think of a few more!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24 PM »

Not all the way through though, and the conditions had a lot to do with it.
}

Which is exactly the same as Wimbledon Final.

Counter puncher vs Counter Puncher does not always produce the best quality.

Andy and Novak have had better matches at Olympic Games 2012, Shanghai 2011, and Rome 2011.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Wimbledon final was high quality, I don't see how anyone can deny that.

Although it doesn't surprise me one iota that the MTF crowd will attempt to.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Favourite Matches of 2013 « Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 05:29 PM »

Wimbledon final was high quality, I don't see how anyone can deny that.

Although it doesn't surprise me one iota that the MTF crowd will attempt to.

Wimbledon 2012 Final was much higher quality.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »