Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss.

(Read 9660 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #105 on: February 16, 2012, 04:59 PM »

.......  and Fed gets yet another walkover!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #106 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07 PM »

Latest observations from PseudoFed:

@taketheleaddogs Thank you My fan. You are so happy to receive this message. I like to make normal people happy sometimes #humble

@PseudoFed For My many fans asking what I will do today with My day off in the Rotterdam. I am not sure, I love it so much I may buy it #humble

@PseudoFed I want to make the birthday wishes to John McEnroe. From one great player to another #fingerscrossed #GOAT

@PseudoFed  If any more players retire from the Rotterdam I win by default #ideal #sameagainplease

@PseudoFed One of My staff went to tie up My shoe laces this morning but I gestured I would do it Myself today. Things like this keep me #humble

@PseudoFed @jmmuttoni So nice of you to spend such a small amount. I may give the autographing. I like to make normal people happy sometimes #humble

@PseudoFed @jmmuttoni GOAT = Greatest Of All Time. You are honoured to receive this message #humble #humilde

@PseudoFed @jesna3 Thank you for always supporting Me My fan. It's been so difficult lately with Stanford #cantgetthestaff

@PseudoFed @jesna3 Thank you My fan. I try not to overdo it lately. My back can't cope very strongly. See Me in the final! #humble

@PseudoFed @nsehgal87 Thank you My fan. I am amazing yes. You are so pleased and honoured to hear from Me #humble
In reply to Namrata Sehgal

@PseudoFed So many questions about life. What is time? Where did we come from? Why am I so great? #ithinkthereforeiamaGOAT

@PseudoFed @TennisNewsViews re. Rotterdam attendance. This is because they came to see Me #humble #GOAT
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #107 on: February 16, 2012, 08:40 PM »

lol
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #108 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58 PM »

Pseudofed is brilliant - whoever he/she is. Must be a Brit I think - would anybody else come up with "In the Rotterdam match. Doing as many tournaments as possible! Tournaments make points! #pointsmakeprizes #BrucieBonus #NiceToSeeYouToSeeYou"

A favourite tweet was "Now the #AustralianOpen has ended, what is everybody doing today? #dontwanttotalkaboutit" - about 30 mins into the Murray Djokovic semi-final.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #109 on: February 17, 2012, 12:33 AM »

@PseudoFed So many questions about life. What is time? Where did we come from? Why am I so great? #ithinkthereforeiamaGOAT

^^ that one was really funny.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #110 on: February 17, 2012, 11:13 AM »

In the interests of balance, I found an article today that provides a reasonable argument why Federer has such a poor record vs Rafa.

In short, Nadal is No. 1 on clay and Federer number two. Because Federer can be relied upon to reach the finals of clay tournaments, he tends to get there and lose to Rafa.

On hard courts, it argues, Nadal is some way behind Federer and doesn't always make the final, thereby denying Fedex the chance to claim more victories.

http://tennisology101.com/2011/06/10/federer-nadal-the-head-to-head-anomoly-2/

If you take out their 14 clay matches, he says, Federer leads 7-6.

However, this is hardly conclusive...
[ Last edit by Grabcopy February 17, 2012, 11:44 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #111 on: February 17, 2012, 01:54 PM »

A similar argument here!

IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 08:59 PM »

A similar argument here!

roflmao
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #113 on: July 12, 2012, 11:48 AM »

Time to resurrect this thread, I think.

Comments on so many other threads recently have cemented my view that Fed can't possibly be the GOAT. That and the fact that Nadal OWNS him in slams - 8-2 (and 18-10 overall). His H2Hs vs Murray and the Djoker aren't much better, either.

All you can say with certainty is that Federer has been more adept than the other members of the Big Four at dispatching lesser-ranked opponents. After all, if Nadal had got through to play Fed in every slam, stats say that Rog would now have only four slams.

I think Federer has dodged a heck of a lot of bullets to reach 17 slams, the bulk of which were won before Rafa became a force.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #114 on: July 12, 2012, 12:37 PM »

he is overrated ^^.  Sure he is a good tennis player.  but as you said he won against  some average tennis players in the GS slams  some people talk about him like he's the King of Shiba.  He is a lucky bast***.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #115 on: July 12, 2012, 12:37 PM »

One of my favouirites I when he blamed Wrawrinka for losing the Davis Cup match.  So very unprofessional.  If I were Stan I would refuse to play with him again.

I have a theory on why he was a ilttle less nasty after the Wimbledon final; -  His PR people had probably told him to be very careful in GB if he wants to keep his British fans.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #116 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46 PM »

Do agree with tamila, especially when considering the importance of Wawrinka at the Olympics 2008. Some of the newspapers I read shortly after Fed's "emotional" win even described Wawrinka as the better player in the deciding matches in Beijing. But even worse is Fed's hypocrisy, calling Stan a very good friend, hugging him after the final. Bearing all that in mind, I consider the comments after the Davis Cup match as sheer willingness to offend Wawrinka, and blame someone else for the defeat against the USA. Doubtlessly, Federer is a good player, but there are far more things that make a sportsman great. Arrogance and utter sanctimonous behaviour are not part of it.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #117 on: July 12, 2012, 06:08 PM »

I always find this tough. Federer has had an amazing career, and still has great tennis in him. He has broken so many records and won so many titles that on paper; for this era, he is the greatest. However, both Rafa and Nole also have an amazing number of titles and broken various records and are also in the running.
Basically on paper by titles Federer is currently this era's greatest, but Rafa and Nole (as well as others like Andy) have more years of tennis left to play hopefully.

As for GOAT. I think we can argue about it forever, but I think the difference's in training, style, approach, equipment and also media reaction to the sport, all make it very difficult to compare now with past era's.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #118 on: July 12, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Just remember to never, ever mention comments like this to a Federer fan because you won't hear the end of it. They won't hear a bad word against him and just respond with the tedious argument "but he's won 16 17 Slams and is the best player ever." Ok, I was talking about his personality and didn't once mention his ability but whatever.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #119 on: July 13, 2012, 12:38 PM »

What Fed says.....

Wimbledon 2012: I'm not greatest player - Roger Federer

Roger Federer says he does not feel like the greatest player ever despite winning his seventh Wimbledon title.

The Swiss beat Britain's Andy Murray to capture a record 17th Grand Slam triumph - his first since January 2010. But he said the modern era meant players were under more pressure to chase records.

"I don't feel better than anyone, because we need past champions to pave the way for our generation and we have become very professional," he said. "They have led the way and inspired myself and other players to chase the big records out there.
Back in the day they weren't doing that, they were just playing to play tennis. Things have changed dramatically with the press reminding us 'you should do this and win that and you'll be considered the greatest of all time'.

"And anyway I don't think you can compare different eras in tennis."

more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18764325

Presumably he was asked the GOAT question. I'm actually quite impressed with the answer

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »