Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss.  (Read 7051 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #195 on: September 21, 2012, 08:45 AM »

OK, I already feel stupid asking this what is the full form of GOAT? God Of something Tennis???

It stands for 'greatest of all time'.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #196 on: September 21, 2012, 08:47 AM »

Thanks... God, it never struck me and now I'm thinking, "Zarfeen, you already knew that!!!"  Think How stupid..
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #197 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18 AM »

Thanks... God, it never struck me and now I'm thinking, "Zarfeen, you already knew that!!!"  Think How stupid..

I was the same at first, used to have no idea why people were referring to Federer as a goat! I don't think the term was used to describe Sampras though, seems to be very much associated with Federer. I don't agree with it though - it's so hard to compare eras, and Federer was lucky to start his career at a time when there wasn't as much top-level competition as there was now. If he'd been the same age as Rafa, Novak and Andy there's no way he'd have won as many slams.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #198 on: September 21, 2012, 11:25 AM »

I was the same at first, used to have no idea why people were referring to Federer as a goat! I don't think the term was used to describe Sampras though, seems to be very much associated with Federer. I don't agree with it though - it's so hard to compare eras, and Federer was lucky to start his career at a time when there wasn't as much top-level competition as there was now. If he'd been the same age as Rafa, Novak and Andy there's no way he'd have won as many slams.

Exactly, he is really lucky to have started at such a time. Not only was it early but also at a time where it was easy for a newcomer to rise and make their own status. I feel it is very similar to the case of Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar who started playing at the age of 16. He is considered the God of cricket and people also consider him a greater player than the legendary Don Bradman. Sachin is very fortunate to have started his career early which gave him the advantage of breaking and making records. I feel that is the same advantage which Fed also had.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #199 on: September 21, 2012, 01:24 PM »

My take on this G.O.A.T debate.

Personally, i don't think Federer can be labeled as such, in fact i don't think any sportsman can be labeled as the greatest of all time in their particular sport primarily because time is still ongoing and there will always be someone who comes along in the future who trumps the success of their predecessor. Take Football for instance, for years it was Pele, then Maradona, and now it's Messi, there will be someone else in the future.

There is no way anyone can prove it, unless we went back in time and let all the greats play each other in their prime with similar equipment, similar court surfaces/speeds and similar training techniques.

I think Andy himself has labeled Fed the greatest player ever and so do some others, but i feel that this is just showing him respect and should not be taken literally.

What you can say about Federer though is that he is the most successful male player to date, and that is not even an argument.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #200 on: September 21, 2012, 01:52 PM »

Some things could really make you go off a tournie Eyebrow raise.

Australian Open
In our search for the GOAT, we've collated 10 of Roger Federer's great achievements for you. http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2012/09/21/friday-10-to-1-roger-federers-greatest-moments Do you have any to add? Vote4theGOAT

Australian Open
Who is the greatest men's tennis player of all time? 'FedEx' Roger Federer or 'Rocket' Rod Laver? We're giving you the chance to have your say, we're asking you to Vote for the GOAT! http://on.fb.me/T7IOrQ

From their facebook page Rolling Eyes
I've got one to add Bev! Federer has managed to 'lose' to Andy Murray more often than he has beaten him! I dare you to add that to their list!  w00t
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #201 on: September 21, 2012, 03:01 PM »

My take on this G.O.A.T debate.

Personally, i don't think Federer can be labeled as such, in fact i don't think any sportsman can be labeled as the greatest of all time in their particular sport primarily because time is still ongoing and there will always be someone who comes along in the future who trumps the success of their predecessor. Take Football for instance, for years it was Pele, then Maradona, and now it's Messi, there will be someone else in the future.

There is no way anyone can prove it, unless we went back in time and let all the greats play each other in their prime with similar equipment, similar court surfaces/speeds and similar training techniques.

I think Andy himself has labeled Fed the greatest player ever and so do some others, but i feel that this is just showing him respect and should not be taken literally.

What you can say about Federer though is that he is the most successful male player to date, and that is not even an argument.
Well said.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #202 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25 PM »

When I first heard that Federer was seen as the goat by some people, I thought it was a kid on.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #203 on: September 21, 2012, 04:47 PM »

When I first heard that Federer was seen as the goat by some people, I thought it was a kid on.
lmao
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #204 on: October 18, 2012, 02:42 PM »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1371892-ten-records-roger-federer-will-never-equal-or-break
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #205 on: October 18, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Thanks Janet..enjoyed reading the article. Appropriate thread to post this article..please post one in roger's site too w00t
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #206 on: October 19, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Even though it's only a bleacher report, there are some key achievements there that Federer didn't get to break and will never break, but I don't think it's humanly possible to do all that anyway.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #207 on: October 20, 2012, 01:40 PM »

Daniel Bryan will always be the GOAT in my eyes....... (yes Wrestling reference there...)
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #208 on: October 29, 2012, 06:39 PM »

It was refreshing to see the women and men being compared side by side.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Federer is not the GOAT. Discuss. « Reply #209 on: November 04, 2012, 03:06 PM »

I just got a massive tingle from the ether - I've just become convinced that Fed will retire at this WTF.  Spooky feeling.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »