Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Federer vs Baghdatis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?  (Voting closed: January 31, 2006, 03:30 PM)
Federer - 6 (37.5%)
Baghdatis - 10 (62.5%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Federer vs Baghdatis

(Read 5494 times)
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #60 on: January 29, 2006, 10:19 PM »

God no, grammar and so on is not taught well enough in british schools - text talk is on the rise (lord preserve us all!!)

*raped might not be the right choice of word there...
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #61 on: January 29, 2006, 10:22 PM »

Violate would be better, sorry Smile

Well, I always thought British schools were very severe about that!
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #62 on: January 29, 2006, 10:25 PM »

No - the levels of spelling, grammar....the ability to write, form sentences correctly etc. is atrocious.
Needs major reform IMO. Might be different in Scotland, but in England and Wales its not good.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #63 on: January 29, 2006, 10:25 PM »

Hmm - Yes Dentie, don't know if we have respect for our language, or are just a bit arrogant about it.  Having studied English, it is amazing how many different languages contribute to it.  There is one school of thought that subscribes to English being a Creole language - that is a language made up from Scananavian, Latin, French and Celtic - I can certainly buy that having studied it in depth!  goodjob
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #64 on: January 29, 2006, 10:27 PM »

Totally, it's awful..... i mean, i didn't even know there was such a thing as an imperfect tense before i learnt it in French and my teacher was like "Now you know what the imperfect tense is in English don't you?"  Whistle
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #65 on: January 29, 2006, 10:27 PM »

That's such a shame!

I watched that show where British kids went to a school in the 60's. They were pretty severe about language there IMO. Did weakend so much?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #66 on: January 29, 2006, 10:28 PM »

Not so much of the Celtic though - only about 30-40 words survive from British (i.e. what we were speaking when the Romans and later the anglo-Saxons arrived)
And they're mainly landscape names e.g. theres 7 River Avons in Britain, coming from the British or Welsh 'afon', meaning river.
Complete cultural swamping by the Anglo-Saxons.

(sorry elly, im sure you know all this already Smile )
IP Logged
deedee
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #67 on: January 29, 2006, 10:31 PM »

That's very interesting... Especially because I don't know nothing about that!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #68 on: January 29, 2006, 10:32 PM »

We have lots of place names in the norh east of Scotland surviving from the Celtic in the form of 'Pit'  Pitmedden, Pitcairn, Pitfodels, Pitmurchie etc. etc.  We have an abundance of celtic standing stones too.. goodjob
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #69 on: January 29, 2006, 10:34 PM »

Ahh right ok Smile Thats really interesting - what does pit mean? (pit in the sense we would use today?)
Woudl love to visit that area - looking at some archaeological digs up there over the summer!!

Must again point out - Celtic is not a racial signifier.
Again, I'm sure everyone knows this, but I am a pedant. Very sorry.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #70 on: January 29, 2006, 10:56 PM »

Laura - I will look over my info on celtic.  Here in the North East of Scotland we have even more history to absorb in as much as we are associated with the Picts - one exam question I had was
'The problem with the Picts - what was it'?

Who the hell knows?

lol!
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #71 on: January 29, 2006, 11:02 PM »

Lol - what a fab question!! We have some similar ones. The course for British I is very english biased for obvious reasons - one lecture out of 16 on the other kingdoms, and yet in the exam...

'Why is Scotland not Pictland?'

confused
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #72 on: January 29, 2006, 11:08 PM »

roflmao  Goodness knows - All I know is that Scotland is pronounced A-L-A-P-A  - but spelt Alba! (in gaelic)   wthell
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #73 on: January 29, 2006, 11:11 PM »

Wow! How cool!!

We did have one lecture on art and culture which mentioned the picts....I believe it went along the lines of....

Ah yes, now here we see the typical Z and comb motifs of Pictish art and carving, as well as examples of Pictish zoomorhpic art. However, we don't have a clue what they mean.
Moving on...
IP Logged
hulahoop
Seed

Home is where the heart is!

Federer vs Baghdatis « Reply #74 on: January 30, 2006, 12:23 AM »

Quote from: "dentie"
That's such a shame!

I watched that show where British kids went to a school in the 60's. They were pretty severe about language there IMO. Did weakend so much?

Whistle  I could write an essay on attending a Girl's Grammar school then.There was no individuality allowed, they were extremely strict on uniform and  shocking  definitely no mixing with the boys from the School next door. They were let out at a different time so never the two would meet!!

It was very different to today. We were terrified of breaking the minutest rule (being caught without your beret on earned you detention, eg  :rolleyes: )

But, academically, I think we were streets ahead of today. Grammar, spelling and handwriting were rammed down our throats, but I've never forgotten it.  Very Happy The difference today is you are taught to think for yourself, we just learned reams of facts.

Not that my Latin O Level has ever been in the slightest use to me. Very Happy

Wink Embarassed I am a walking "Living History" Just think, there were no calculators even, and computers were unheard of except for a few massive ones that had been assembled as prototypes. They usually took up a whole room.

Mr. Green  Mr. Green  Mr. Green
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »