Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  French Open - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 209 Go Down Reply
Author

French Open - The Other Players

(Read 24044 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

French Open - The Other Players « on: May 20, 2013, 06:34 PM »

Qualifying starts tomorrow. Only one Brit involved (on the Men's side)... well, an Aussie with a British mother who has just changed his allegiance.

Anyway, who's your pick?

I'm still going with Djokovic. He's far less likely to suffer an early upset in a five set match, and after the way he dealt with Nadal in Monte Carlo (a tournament Nadal has dominated as long as he has Roland Garros) I would fancy Novak if they meet. I'll be amazed if they are in the same section though. Djokovic-Federer and Murray-Nadal will be the probably SF draws, although I doubt Murray will get that far anyway even if he is fit.

Murray, Del Potro and Tipsarevic all doubts.

Gulbis the biggest banana-skin for any of the top players early on.

Meanwhile 18yo Nick Kyrgios gets a WC into the main draw after John Millman pulls out. The 18yo is the current Junior #1, won the Aussie Open juniors this year and won the Sydney challenger earlier in the year. At #264 he is the 2nd highest ranked teenager on tour after Jiri Vesely (19yo, #127 - will be a seed in qualies, one to watch out for), and he's still playing Juniors. Definitely worth watching how he gets on his opener. Although he did lose to British #2 James Ward earlier in the year.

Monfils also has a WC.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03 PM »

QUALIFYING SEEDS (1-32):

* Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 21.01.05.png (62.92 KB, 805x354 - viewed 54 times.)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I think the French is basically a two horse race, Nadal and Djokovic. My feeling all along has been that Djokovic will win. Nothing Nadal has done since he came back, as good as he's been a lot of the time, convinces me that he'll get through Djokovic in a best of five match. Nadal hasn't played best of five since Wimbledon last year. It's mentally and physically totally different to best of three.

I think it's hard to judge where Andy would get if he was fit. He clearly isn't. That's why I think he'd be better off skipping it, even at the detriment of his ranking. I think we all know, to one degree or another, that Andy having an early loss at RG is more likely, relatively speaking, than the other majors. With an injury it strikes me as more likely still. Having said that about likelihood though, he's had some early losses at the USO before now, but let's not go there Whistle.

I think if Andy was fit and had a decent draw for RG, he'd get to the quarters. Anything beyond that would be a bonus. Semi's would be fabulous. Beyond that and you'd have to drag me out of my padded cell to watch Wimbledon Whistle.

From our, or rather Andy's, point of view, Federer's progress is the one to watch I suppose. I don't suppose someone knocking him out in the first round is an option?

In all honesty I think they should take a drastic approach to the French. Cancel the thing and just let Djokovic and Nadal play the final now. The quicker the thing is done, the quicker we can get on to the grass.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:39 PM »

Wawrinka now a major doubt as well as Del Potro and Murray.

LetsTalkTennis‏@letstalktennis147m
Stan Wawrinka might miss the French Open. He has a rupture of a muscle fiber in his thigh. Won't touch a racket until Thursday #atp
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:30 PM »

Sad for Stan - he could have had a really good run at RG given his success on clay so far this year.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02 PM »

It'll be a real shame if Stan has to miss the FO after he's had such a good clay season.

I think Nadal will win the French Open again. I know Djokovic beat him in Monte Carlo in impressive fashion, but that was at the beginning of the European clay season, and Nadal's definitely improved a lot since then while Djokovic's form has gone the other way. The first set Nadal played against Berdych the other day was flawless tennis. He's a player that thrives on confidence, and having won both Madrid and Rome he goes into RG with a lot of momentum.

I also think that Djokovic is more prone to being knocked out before the final than Nadal is. Even in 2011, when he was playing the best clay tennis of his career, he got knocked out by Federer in the semi-final. Nadal/Djokovic isn't my favourite matchup of the top 4 but if a RG meeting does happen, it'll be interesting to see if Djokovic can do it - he'll have to play his best clay tennis to take 3 sets off Nadal.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53 PM »

That's a shame to hear about Stan. In the absence of Andy, if that happens, Stan would be one I would root for, to maybe get to the quarters, maybe even the semi's.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Sad news re: Stan totally deserved a great run at RG, he's been wht the 3rd best player on clay this season -- Poor thing!

If Andy decides not to play Tsonga, dimitrov, and Ferrer will be getting my support and i hope one of them makes the semis!!
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Del Potro is now officially out of RG too Frown
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 02:21 PM »

Sorry to hear that. Frown As with Andy, it's probably a good decision for him though as it gives him time to get back to full fitness again. If fully fit he'd be a real threat on clay to the top guys, must be very disappointing for him. I remember him pushing Federer to 5 sets in 2009 and last year too - great matches.

So now with Andy and Delpo's withdrawals, the top 8 seeds are:

1. Djokovic
2. Federer
3. Nadal
4. Ferrer
5. Berdych
6. Tsonga
7. Gasquet
8. Tipsarevic
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00 PM »

Watch Federer draw Simon in his 1/16th 8th, Tipsarevic in his quarter and Ferrer in his half.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter May 22, 2013, 07:14 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 03:21 PM »

Watch Federer draw Simon in his 1/16th, Tipsarevic in his quarter and Ferrer in his half.

I'd be surprised if he draws Ferrer. The cynic in me feels sure that it'll be Federer/Nadal and Djokovic/Ferrer just to allow the Nadal/Djokovic final to happen. Of course if the draw is truly random then that might not happen.

Whoever draws Tipsarevic are going to happy though, looking at the losing match streak he's coming in on. It should give some of the other players in that section the chance to reach the QFs, unless he suddenly finds some form. Gasquet too hasn't traditionally performed that well in Paris.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55 PM »

Great. Another favourite player out. Frown Frown
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14 PM »

I'd be surprised if he draws Ferrer. The cynic in me feels sure that it'll be Federer/Nadal and Djokovic/Ferrer just to allow the Nadal/Djokovic final to happen. Of course if the draw is truly random then that might not happen.

Whoever draws Tipsarevic are going to happy though, looking at the losing match streak he's coming in on. It should give some of the other players in that section the chance to reach the QFs, unless he suddenly finds some form. Gasquet too hasn't traditionally performed that well in Paris.
Gasquet's gone out to Murray in 2 of the last, what, 4 years? though.

For Tipsarevic's section we're better off looking at the 9-16 seeded player than Tipsarevic himself. Chances of him making the QFs in his current form are slim-none.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 09:42 PM »

Gasquet's gone out to Murray in 2 of the last, what, 4 years? though.

For Tipsarevic's section we're better off looking at the 9-16 seeded player than Tipsarevic himself. Chances of him making the QFs in his current form are slim-none.

Good point about Gasquet. He has been incredibly consistent at winning all the matches he should win in the slams - he's a very consistent 4R performer now. So perhaps he will reach the QFs this year. It'd be nice for the French crowd to still have 2 players competing by the QF stage if Tsonga also does well here.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 209 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »