Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  French Open - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 209 Go Down Reply
Author

French Open - The Other Players

(Read 22996 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Tipsy beaten by a qualifier I'd never heard of in Dusseldorf today - don't see him doing very well.
I wonder how Rafa's knees will hold up over 5-setters if any of his matches go that far?  If he can't even practise properly at present, it does raise a big question mark.  But otherwise, I'd put him as the favourite on the basis of his recent form.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 10:56 PM »

Shame about Delpo, but I'm not surprised.

Something tells me the semi's line up will be Ferrer/Djokovic  and Federer/Nadal. I feel sure the organisers will be keen to have a Djokovic/Nadal final.

It will be interesting to see if Nadal can handle best of five. I suppose he's played matches that have gone to three lately, but if he has a couple of tough rounds back to back things might just get interesting.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21 AM »

Interesting to see how Tommy Haas does, he won Munich 2 weeks ago and has a shot at Dusseldorf this week. He has my support in Andy's absence.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 12:29 AM »

Latest update on withdrawals per ESPN/tennis -

In addition to Andy, who will be replaced by a Lucky Loser, Delpo (very said that too because he's one of my faves) and Millman, American players Brian Baker and Mardy Fish have also pulled out. Baker has not recovered from a right knee operation and Fish is unfit because of heart problems. They will be replaced in Friday's draw by Joao Sousa of Portugal and Guido Pella of Argentina.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 12:31 AM »

Latest update on withdrawals per ESPN/tennis -

In addition to Andy, who will be replaced by a Lucky Loser, Delpo (very said that too because he's one of my faves) and Millman, American players Brian Baker and Mardy Fish have also pulled out. Baker has not recovered from a right knee operation and Fish is unfit because of heart problems. They will be replaced in Friday's draw by Joao Sousa of Portugal and Guido Pella of Argentina.

Pella is a good player, could beat the likes of Tipsy and Gasquet.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58 AM »

In the absence of Andy and Delpo my support will now be mainly for Ferrer, Tsonga and Dimitrov, not that I expect any of them to lift the trophy but I'd like see them go far into the tournament.  I'll also be keeping an eye on Gulbis and Haas.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 02:12 AM »

Rafa is my second favourite player so I'll be rooting for him. It's not likely but it would be good to see Ferrer or Tsonga win. 

The Roland Garros crowd don't deserve to see Andy. They have treated him terribly these past 2 years.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32 AM »

They will be replaced in Friday's draw by Joao Sousa of Portugal and Guido Pella of Argentina.
How does this work, does anyone know?

I'm confused, because usually withdrawals are replaced by alternates, but the alternates are all involved in qualifying. Where were Sousa and Pella? If Fish and Baker hadn't withdrawn, would they simply not have played at all?

I was under the assumption withdrawals are simply replaced by lucky losers if the qualifying draw has already been made (otherwise the highest alternate goes into the main draw and the highest ranked player who didn't make the qualies cut gets an alternate place in the qualifying).
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 03:35 AM »

Pella is a good player, could beat the likes of Tipsy and Gasquet.
Anyone could beat Tipsy right now.

Not sure where you figure on the Gasquet comment though.

But yes, Pella is one I've got a keen eye on. Won the ATP Challenger Tour finals last year (the Challenger version of the WTF), beating the likes of Hanescu en-route. That boosted him into the top 100 after a fantastic year, rising from the 200s. But Stebe won the title the year before (also boosted him into top 100) then had a torrid 2012 and ended around 200 in the world.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38 AM »

I forgot about Gulbis. Definitely one to watch.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Think I am throwing my support at Bahgdatis, Nishikori and Tsonga. I wouldn't be unhappy to see Tsonga getting through. Although his exhibitionism makes me cringe a bit, he is another slogger who never gets the decent rewards.

I want Fed out as soon as possible, to protect Murray's ranking.
Berdych because he is an arrogant toad. Ditto Raonic.
Janowicz because he cheats.

Regrettably if any of the top guys have to win probably Nadal because his performance will continue to highlight the complete farce that doping controls are in tennis. Not too mention Spanish "sport' particularly.  I don't think Nadal will have any problems with 5 sets, because as his performance since he returned has demonstrated, there is nothing wrong with his knees. Not Djokovic because he will be better without a career slam. Fortunately I am on holiday for much of it.

I am getting very disenchanted with it all at the moment.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 10:49 AM »

How does this work, does anyone know?

I'm confused, because usually withdrawals are replaced by alternates, but the alternates are all involved in qualifying. Where were Sousa and Pella? If Fish and Baker hadn't withdrawn, would they simply not have played at all?

Pella qualified for Dusseldorf (just beat Alex Ward in R2 remember?), and he beat Tipsy yesterday, plays Troicki in QFs today. Sousa was 4th seed, but was knocked out in qualifying finals.

Can't answer your first question!
[ Last edit by Elena May 23, 2013, 10:52 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05 AM »

Regrettably if any of the top guys have to win probably Nadal because his performance will continue to highlight the complete farce that doping controls are in tennis. Not too mention Spanish "sport' particularly.  I don't think Nadal will have any problems with 5 sets, because as his performance since he returned has demonstrated, there is nothing wrong with his knees.

I am increasingly suspicious of Rafa. His play-and-rest cycles are typical of a doper.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07 AM »

Backing Haas and Kohly for Roland Garros.

Lang lebe das Vaterland.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 11:47 AM »

I'll be mainly supporting Ferrer, and also Dimitrov, Nishikori, Simon and Rafa. It won't be the same without Andy and Delpo though.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 209 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »