Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  French Open - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 Go Down Reply
Author

French Open - The Other Players

(Read 23324 times)
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3075 on: June 09, 2013, 07:38 PM »

Didn't see it.  Congrats, Rafa, although I'd have preferred Ferrer to win.  Just because it would have been a wee bit different.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3076 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53 PM »

Well it was certainly the case that the Nadal/Djoko match was the final, and it was rather close!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3077 on: June 09, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Well it was certainly the case that the Nadal/Djoko match was the final, and it was rather close!
Must have been a disappointing final for the spectators.  Glad to see the back of the clay.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3078 on: June 09, 2013, 09:20 PM »

It isn't the first time a final has been a damp squib after an exciting semi.  There have been other matches too at RG that were way better than this.  It's been a very enjoyable tournament all round but I won't be shedding tears because the clay season is over.  For one thing I can't see the ball so clearly on clay.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3079 on: June 09, 2013, 09:25 PM »

It isn't the first time a final has been a damp squib after an exciting semi.  There have been other matches too at RG that were way better than this.  It's been a very enjoyable tournament all round but I won't be shedding tears because the clay season is over.  For one thing I can't see the ball so clearly on clay.

Indeed, the 2009 French Open final was just as disgusting. Federer took 5 sets to beat Del Potro and Soderling took 5 to beat Fernando Gonzalez in the semis. The final was a routine whipping for Federer.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3080 on: June 09, 2013, 09:27 PM »

It isn't the first time a final has been a damp squib after an exciting semi.  There have been other matches too at RG that were way better than this.  It's been a very enjoyable tournament all round but I won't be shedding tears because the clay season is over.  For one thing I can't see the ball so clearly on clay.
Yes - so many finals are a let down from a spectator point of view.  And I also struggle to see the ball on the red dirt, and it's also very distracting (and am sure for the players) when they have to hit their shoes with their racquet to remove the debris.  All in all, I find the clay play sort of too much like hard work to watch.  It's like getting to grips with a very hard caramel.  Frown
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3081 on: June 09, 2013, 09:43 PM »

Yes - so many finals are a let down from a spectator point of view.  And I also struggle to see the ball on the red dirt, and it's also very distracting (and am sure for the players) when they have to hit their shoes with their racquet to remove the debris.  All in all, I find the clay play sort of too much like hard work to watch.  It's like getting to grips with a very hard caramel.  Frown
Wasn't being able to see the ball more clearly part of the reasoning behind the awful blue clay at Madrid?
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3082 on: June 09, 2013, 09:46 PM »

Wasn't being able to see the ball more clearly part of the reasoning behind the awful blue clay at Madrid?
I think we just have to be glad it's over.  Bring on the grass!  Even if Andy doesn't do well, or win, I'll enjoy watching.  I really wasn't interested in RG. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3083 on: June 09, 2013, 09:55 PM »

I don't have any expectations for Andy, given his circumstances, but that's probably the best way to be.  I always enjoy Queens and Wimbledon anyway, especially as the players look so much better in whites when playing on grass, which is why I found the Olympic tennis a bit strange.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3084 on: June 09, 2013, 09:56 PM »

Get some new glasses then...
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3085 on: June 09, 2013, 10:00 PM »

Get some new glasses then...

I second this.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3086 on: June 09, 2013, 10:00 PM »

I don't have any expectations for Andy, given his circumstances, but that's probably the best way to be.  I always enjoy Queens and Wimbledon anyway, especially as the players look so much better in whites when playing on grass, which is why I found the Olympic tennis a bit strange.
It would be amazing if he won it - but like you, I don't have expectations, and now especially because of his back.  It's just a privilege to be part of his journey - whatever it may bring.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3087 on: June 09, 2013, 10:01 PM »

It would be amazing if he won it - but like you, I don't have expectations, and now especially because of his back.  It's just a privilege to be part of his journey - whatever it may bring.
thumb up
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3088 on: June 09, 2013, 10:25 PM »

Well Rafa once again proved this tournament that he's the king of clay. It's just incredible what he's achieved in his career so far - I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him win 10+ FOs before he retires. After beating Djokovic in the SF, he was the deserved winner of this tournament.

I'm proud of how hard David fought today despite being outplayed by Rafa. It must be the toughest first GS final you can ask for, Rafa at Roland Garros, but I thought he handled the situation pretty well. And I'm really pleased he can add a GS final to his career resume - winning the SF meant a lot to him.

The protester entering the court with the flare was really scary. It was good to see the security deal with him so swiftly, but worrying that they were able to get into the tournament and onto the court in the first place. It's not the first time there's been an on-court invasion at RG either, I remember a guy draping Federer with a flag in the 2009 final.

Now that the clay season is over, I'll be interested in seeing how Rafa does in the rest of the season. I've a feeling he's going to be a major threat at Wimbledon. If he and Andy do end up playing there, I hope he can get the better of him this time. Feels strange for the grass season to be starting tomorrow, but really looking forward to it - and especially to seeing Andy play again! Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3089 on: June 09, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Nadla is the true GOAT.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »