Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  French Open - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 Go Down Reply
Author

French Open - The Other Players

(Read 23412 times)
Rachie
Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3090 on: June 09, 2013, 10:47 PM »

^ You sound like berdych
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3091 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53 PM »

LOL
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3092 on: June 09, 2013, 11:28 PM »

Nadal is nothing on grass. That is emphasised by last year's losses to Kohlschreiber and Rosol. Yes, he won Wimbledon twice, but that's all he's getting. I predict Rafa to lose in the fourth round to someone like Tsonga.

Rafa has played Wimbledon 6 of the past 7 years. In those 6 years he reached the final 5 times and won twice. The only current player with a better Wimbledon record is Federer.

For that reason I hope Andy gets Federer in the semis. I don't want Andy playing Rafa. Do I think Andy can beat Rafa? Yes. However, I still prefer him to be in Roger's half.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3093 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32 PM »

And I also struggle to see the ball on the red dirt, and it's also very distracting (and am sure for the players) when they have to hit their shoes with their racquet to remove the debris. 
Oli Golding reckons that's the best part of clay!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3094 on: June 10, 2013, 01:23 AM »

At least we now know what the protests on courts Chatrier and Lenglen were all about - The same-sex marriage bill, which also legalises gay adoption, which passed into law last month.

http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/tennis/french-open-masked-protester-interrupts-final-1-2960682
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3095 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19 PM »

I didn't see the match but judging by the score, Ferrer wasn't even able to push Nadal in any set and Nadal was coming off a very hard fought match vs Nole. Ferrer on the other hand was relatively fresh. Shows the difference between the two.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3096 on: June 10, 2013, 01:28 PM »

Rafa has played Wimbledon 6 of the past 7 years. In those 6 years he reached the final 5 times and won twice. The only current player with a better Wimbledon record is Federer.

For that reason I hope Andy gets Federer in the semis. I don't want Andy playing Rafa. Do I think Andy can beat Rafa? Yes. However, I still prefer him to be in Roger's half.

I'd be more interested in looking at Nadal's current results on grass, Wimbledon in particular than looking a bit far back. Nole, for example, isn't a great grass courter and Rosol basically came out from nowhere. Nadal took beatings to both in 2011 and 2012. 

Also, when it comes to Federer vs Nadal, it almost always comes down to match up issue only, so other than WTF, where the surface is relatively fast and the conditions are controlled, Nadal will always get a win over Federer. So I am not sure how much you can bank on his performance on grass thus far based on the fact that, he never had to play any true grass courter in those years other than Federer. Granted, he had played Murray 3 times but Andy was still coming into in his own term being fairly young on tour; on top of that, he had his own mental issues that needed to sort out first, so it didn't matter who he faced on the other side of the net be it Nadal or Nole or Federer. He lost to all of them multiple times in Majors. 
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3097 on: June 10, 2013, 01:59 PM »

It would be amazing if he won it - but like you, I don't have expectations, and now especially because of his back.  It's just a privilege to be part of his journey - whatever it may bring.
Thats such a lovely way to look at Andys career , I feel the same, just love watching what the furture  holds for the very talented young man.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3098 on: June 10, 2013, 06:27 PM »

It has been confirmed that Nadal and the Bryan twins have qualified for the WTF - already!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3099 on: June 10, 2013, 06:48 PM »

It has been confirmed that Nadal and the Bryan twins have qualified for the WTF - already!

Can someone explain how the qualification works please? I know it's something to do with the points you earn, but I don't fully understand it - a bit thick when it comes to numbers:).

Aren't Andy and Djokovic already in? I thought they were.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3100 on: June 10, 2013, 06:56 PM »

Can someone explain how the qualification works please? I know it's something to do with the points you earn, but I don't fully understand it - a bit thick when it comes to numbers:).

Aren't Andy and Djokovic already in? I thought they were.
Top 8 players at year end. So to qualify you have to pick up enough points so that it's mathematically impossible for you to end the year outside the top 8. I have no idea how they work it out, but realistically 4000 points would be enough.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3101 on: June 10, 2013, 07:32 PM »

Race to London points

1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 7,000

2 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 5,030

3 Ferrer, David (ESP) 4,080

4 Murray, Andy (GBR) 2,910

5 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 2,415

6 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) 2,320

7 Federer, Roger (SUI) 2,220

8 Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI) 2,030

I think Rafa has qualified as it's now mathematically impossible for him to drop out of the top 8
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3102 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36 PM »

^ Thanks Gnome

Friggin heck Rafa has rinsed just about every point possible on clay!!! It will take a miracle for him not to finish yr world no 1. Andy sure needs a good summer!
Hopefully Stan ends year Swiss no 1 Very Happy
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3103 on: June 10, 2013, 07:37 PM »

Top 8 players at year end. So to qualify you have to pick up enough points so that it's mathematically impossible for you to end the year outside the top 8. I have no idea how they work it out, but realistically 4000 points would be enough.

The race To London differ from the ATP Rankings, which at any given moment rank players according to points earned during the immediate past 52 weeks. So for instance Nadal just earned 2000 for winning the French.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3104 on: June 10, 2013, 07:40 PM »

Thanks, I get that now. I thought Djokovic and Andy had qualified already. I was clearly wrong. Never mind, they will.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »