Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  French Open - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 [208] 209 Go Down Reply
Author

French Open - The Other Players

(Read 23686 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3105 on: June 10, 2013, 07:43 PM »

^ Thanks Gnome

Friggin heck Rafa has rinsed just about every point possible on clay!!! It will take a miracle for him not to finish yr world no 1. Andy sure needs a good summer!
Hopefully Stan ends year Swiss no 1 Very Happy

I still think the USO hard court swing is going to be important this year. I can't see Nadal keeping it going then.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3106 on: June 10, 2013, 07:50 PM »

As an example, Andy's current race to London points breakdown

Grand Slams
---------------

Australian Open 1,200

Roland Garros 0

Masters 1000
---------------

Miami 1,000
Indian Wells 180
Madrid 180
Monte Carlo 90
Rome 10

Best of Other Countable Tournaments
-------------------------------------------

Brisbane 250

Total 2910
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3107 on: June 10, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Andy is nowhere near qualified yet.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3108 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12 PM »

No, it was me having a brain freeze and misunderstanding quite how it works.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3109 on: June 10, 2013, 11:14 PM »

I may be wrong but I thought slam winners got a place (which is why Marray and Neilsen played in the dubs at the O2 last year) in which case Djokovic is also qualifed.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3110 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51 AM »

I may be wrong but I thought slam winners got a place (which is why Marray and Neilsen played in the dubs at the O2 last year) in which case Djokovic is also qualifed.

You called it correct, you are indeed wrong Smile well the Djokovic part anyway. The doubles you are half correct, doubles teams who win slams have to finish in the top 20 for the year aswell, which they did.
[ Last edit by The Gnome June 11, 2013, 02:06 AM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3111 on: June 11, 2013, 03:15 AM »

No you're not wrong, actually.

I read the atp rules for qualification, top 7 entrants is based on ranking, 8th entrant = 1st option highest  ranked 8-20 who has won a slam within the year, if no slam winners between 8-20, just gos to highest ranked.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3112 on: June 11, 2013, 03:26 AM »

No you're not wrong, actually.

I read the atp rules for qualification, top 7 entrants is based on ranking, 8th entrant = 1st option highest  ranked 8-20 who has won a slam within the year, if no slam winners between 8-20, just gos to highest ranked.

That is not the part that is incorrect, Djokovic will qualify for the year end finals not because he has won a slam, i doubt he will slip outside the top 8 to even be an issue, but he has not yet officially qualified.
[ Last edit by The Gnome June 11, 2013, 03:33 AM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3113 on: June 11, 2013, 02:40 PM »

The race To London differ from the ATP Rankings, which at any given moment rank players according to points earned during the immediate past 52 weeks. So for instance Nadal just earned 2000 for winning the French.
They end up the same. Rafa has more in the Race (and this is very rare, one-off scenario) because his ATP ranking includes 0 points from mandatory tournaments he missed last year. Once they are out of the way his Race ranking will be equal to his ATP ranking, as he is defending nothing from after Wimbledon.

The ATP rankings become the Race rankings after Paris.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3114 on: June 11, 2013, 02:42 PM »

Reaching the Wimbledon final would all but guarantee qualification. There won't be 9 players reaching 4000 points.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3115 on: June 11, 2013, 02:44 PM »

Reaching the Wimbledon final would all but guarantee qualification. There won't be 9 players reaching 4000 points.

Funnily enough I was just re-reading this and was about to ask if reaching the Wimbles final or winning it, would be enough for Andy to qualify. TMH you're psychic lol.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3116 on: June 11, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Funnily enough I was just re-reading this and was about to ask if reaching the Wimbles final or winning it, would be enough for Andy to qualify. TMH you're psychic lol.
There's not really anything to worry about RE Murray's qualification short of missing a large chunk of the season through injury. Regularly going deep in Slams and Masters is more than enough. By reaching a Slam final and winning a Masters Murray is already more than halfway to qualifying.

Put it this way - for Andy not to qualify, that would mean he would end the year outside the top 8. Realistically never going to happen (any time soon).
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3117 on: June 11, 2013, 03:17 PM »

There's not really anything to worry about RE Murray's qualification short of missing a large chunk of the season through injury. Regularly going deep in Slams and Masters is more than enough. By reaching a Slam final and winning a Masters Murray is already more than halfway to qualifying.

Put it this way - for Andy not to qualify, that would mean he would end the year outside the top 8. Realistically never going to happen (any time soon).

No, I agree. I just tend to lose track of exactly what they need to do to qualify. It all gets a bit confusing for my little brain lol. Anything to do with numbers confuses me, which is ridiculous.

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3118 on: June 11, 2013, 03:46 PM »

Think of it in terms of what it actually is, a race, The race to London is basically live points for the year, Rafa has 7000 points as this is what he has earned since he came back in February. If Andy wins Wimbledon, he will get 2000 points towards his race to London total as opposed to earning 800 points towards his ranking compared to what he got last year which was 1200 for reaching the final.

The WTF qualification cut is currently 6775 points, which is why Rafa has already qualified with 7000 points, this of course will go down as calculations are based on projections of maxmimum points that could be earned, expect the cut to drop down to a much lower figure.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: French Open - The Other Players « Reply #3119 on: June 11, 2013, 04:05 PM »

The race page of the live rankings site updates the cut-off as the season progresses

http://live-tennis.eu/race
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 [208] 209 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »