Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Down Reply
Author

Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players

(Read 11422 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #150 on: February 28, 2013, 02:31 PM »

roflmao
http://tenngrand.com/2013/02/27/the-30-best-quotes-of-ernests-gulbis-career/

The 30 best quotes of Ernests Gulbis’ career

Ernests Gulbis brought forth from his mouth another legendary gem earlier this week in Delray Beach. It inspired a reflection on the 30 most memorable quotes of his mercurial career.

On his motivation to achieve success in 2013

“I was really getting pissed to see who’s in the Top 100. There are some guys who I don’t know who they are. Some guys, I’m sorry–with respect–they can’t play tennis. I don’t know how they got into the Top 100. I think I’m much better than them. It’s a motivation.”

On why he thinks he will have a good 2013

“I quit a lot of stuff in my life. For example, smoking, drinking, staying up late.”

On what he likes about Rotterdam

“I like that the marijuana here is legal. I’m for that. Unfortunately tennis players cannot do that, but I like the way of thinking.”

On beating Tomas Berdych at Wimbledon in 2012

“I’m really happy that I didn’t choke in the end, as usual. I’m very well-known for mental strength. Ask around. Watch my previous matches.”

On reports that he flies to tournaments in a private jet

“Yes. And I have a helicopter, a submarine, and a spaceship.”

On his 2010 Los Angeles loss to Alejandro Falla

“Nothing worked today. I was just running like a Spanish clay court player standing on the baseline and pushing the ball back. Women’s tennis.”

On getting warned by Fergus Murphy for perpetual racket-throwing during his loss to Falla

“This referee – his only purpose in life is to give somebody warnings. He is like a police officer; when they see a car they stop it and they have so much fun to give you a ticket. In Latvia, I stop where you cannot stop and they have a smile on their face as they give me a ticket. Same with this guy.”

After beating Roger Federer in Rome, on how he dealt with failing to serve out the match

“You know, there’s a good expression in English but it involves bad words. So I’m not gonna say it. I…did it in my pants.”

On how he beat Federer

“I think I beat Roger Federer because I ate scrambled eggs in the morning.”

On missing a crucial smash on set point against Federer

“Fantastic smash. I already said in the pilot interview, if I would miss the smash, if I would lose the set, I would quit tennis. That’s too much for my nerves. I can’t take this anymore.”

On how he found energy to win his next match after beating Federer

“Well I found energy because I really like doing these interviews, because I get my childhood dream to be a pilot. I feel like a pilot right now.”

On playing Nadal on clay in the Rome semis

“If he plays good I’ll let him go. What can I do? If he plays good, he beats me. That’s it.”

On the comparison between his Rome matches against Federer and Nadal

“I don’t like losing. I like winning. I don’t like to lose beautiful matches. I like to win ugly ones.”

On the Madrid courts in 2010

“I came here early; got used to the courts because they are not really straight. They are like playing on a mountain.”

On Rafael Nadal’s mentality

“He thinks how to kill his opponent. He’s got a different mentality. Mine is closer to that of Marat Safin.”

On Fabrice Santoro

“He is a disgusting player. Even though outside of the court, an awesome dude.”

On hitting big groundstrokes

“Well, I don’t know. I never practice that much. I never practice that much at all. What can I do? I cannot run. I’m a tall guy. I cannot move my legs, so that’s why I’m trying to hit it hard; so that I don’t have to move.”

On what he did during a rain delay in the middle of the 2010 Delray Beach final

“I scored 18 free throws in a row during the break. During the rain delay. 18 free throws. Usually I do a couple hundred.”

On how he returned Ivo Karlovic’s serve in the 2010 Delray Beach final

“I think he was a little bit scared to serve against me because the height didn’t matter because I blocked him in basketball. He thought that I didn’t. He thought that I fouled but that’s OK.”

When asked about practice during the 2010 Delray Beach event

“I don’t like practicing. I really hate practicing.”

On his slow start to the 2009 season

“I was playing like a Spanish player—two meters behind the baseline doing nothing.”

On an incredibly high racket-toss at the 2009 Auckland event

“I can throw it much higher. I was just scared to throw it somewhere over. Because once I throw it over the fence and I got a $2000 fine. I don’t want to pay it anymore, so I’m trying to keep it in the borders of the court.”

On racket breaking

“I break around 60 to 70 a year. I felt bad after going to the factory where they make the rackets and I saw all the work they do. Everything is hand-made. They do everything for the players; they really think about what the players need, and then an idiot like me comes and breaks them.

“I think I broke 64 rackets. In order to do so, you need to put some muscle into it. On the hard court, where it’s more difficult to break a racket, with one try I broke a racket in five places. I am emotional. Though I don’t do it because something bugs me. It’s just a stupid habit.”

On his propensity for drop-shots at the 2009 Auckland event

“Yeah because I couldn’t do nothing else. I don’t have a volley. Just once it was lucky. But otherwise just drop-shots.”

On spending a night in a Stockholm jail for soliciting prostitutes

“It was great. It was great fun; a very funny time. But I’m never going to go to Sweden again. If you go out and meet some girls, and immediately you’re put in jail, that’s not normal. It was very funny, though. I think everybody should go to jail at least once.”

On why the press room was empty after his 2008 U.S. Open loss to Andy Roddick

“Nobody will come, trust me. Nobody is interested in losers here.”

When James LaRosa asked if he could call Gulbis “Ernie”

“Call me Mr. Gulbis. I’ll call you Mr. LaRosa.”

On what he does with his hair

“I think all the products are for girls. The body lotions, the creams, the makeup, whatever, is just for girls. Guys should be natural. Of course you have to take care of yourself, you have to go to shower, you know, so you don’t smell bad. The rest is just natural. Mr. Gulbis showers and never combs his hair and that’s it.”

On what a night out with him would be like

“What do people do when they go out? They get drunk. To go out and not drink, I don’t understand it. If you go to a nightclub, what is to enjoy there? Nothing. The music is too loud, everybody’s sweating, everybody’s dancing, it’s dark, everybody’s pushing, everybody’s drunk. And if you’re the only guy sober in the nightclub, you don’t enjoy it at all. If you’re into the groove, you know, you have a couple drinks, you’re on the same level as the club, you can sometimes get something positive out of it. But it’s not what I like. I prefer to stay in my friends’ company, invite girls over.”

On drinking

“If I start drinking I’m going to drink until the morning. I can’t go to a nightclub and drink four beers and I’m good. If I go out, I go full night out.”

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #151 on: February 28, 2013, 02:37 PM »

On how he beat Federer

“I think I beat Roger Federer because I ate scrambled eggs in the morning.”

roflmao
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #152 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06 PM »

You cannot be serious, Roger. lol

"My favourite: I liked the blazer," he says. "That was a big move. I think it was after my third Wimbledon maybe going into my fourth. We thought - Nike thought - we should do something fun. I mean, I never wore it to play, obviously, but it was just to walk out.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/roger-federer-considers-wearing-wimbledons-all-white-look-all-year/story-fndkzym4-1226588049328

Roger Federer considers wearing Wimbledon's all-white look all year

ROGER Federer says he has thought about transforming his appearance by wearing only white tennis gear all year.

Federer has shown his love of traditional attire with his outfits during Wimbledon, most notably a cream blazer which he wore from the locker room to the centre court - and which divided opinion.

The seven-times champion's retro fashion sense has been complemented by his respect for the history of tennis and his considerable knowledge of how the sport has evolved.

Asked if he would therefore like it if players just wore white, in keeping with the Wimbledon's "predominantly white" rule, Federer replied: "Yeah, I actually thought about that - what if I just wore all white for a year or something?"

Although there are practicalities which make this difficult, the tennis legend's enthusiasm for the idea and for other traditional fashion statements soon became evident with his follow-up remarks.

"I thought about it, because I read a piece about someone saying that it's a pity that the players don't play more in white. Yeah, it's so true.

"It's so pure if guys would all just walk out in white. I guess we can push the envelope a little bit in tennis."

However there are questions as to whether Nike, his clothing sponsor, would like this idea, and whether spectators would like it.

Moreover, new lines are planned 18 months in advance, and there is no certainty how long Federer, 32 in August, will still be competing.

"But I change my outfit ten to twelve times a year," Federer pointed out. "It's fun. It really is. Not like a soccer player who plays in the same shirts the whole year. It's really fun to mix it up."

"My favourite: I liked the blazer," he says. "That was a big move. I think it was after my third Wimbledon maybe going into my fourth. We thought - Nike thought - we should do something fun. I mean, I never wore it to play, obviously, but it was just to walk out.

"I thought, God, how is that going to look in shorts? I don't know. All I'm trying to do is pay tribute to the former generations of players who have paved the way. At Wimbledon I thought I could do it," he explained.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #153 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19 PM »

His attitude to tennis is truly disgusting. Such a waste.

Gulbis that is.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #154 on: March 01, 2013, 03:05 AM »

I can't believe that Gulbis isn't taking the piss a lot of the time.  I mean, he has a private jet, plus "a helicopter, a submarine, and a spaceship” to take him to tournaments??  lol

You cannot be serious, Roger. lol

http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/roger-federer-considers-wearing-wimbledons-all-white-look-all-year/story-fndkzym4-1226588049328

Roger Federer considers wearing Wimbledon's all-white look all year
He can wear all-white if he wants, just so long as he leaves out the gold trimmings and accessories - oh and the pink shoelaces. Very Happy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #155 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31 AM »

Gulbis is a curious mixture - incredible arrogance but also, at times, humourous and insightful.
However, you do get the feeling that mummy and daddy  never said no Think
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #156 on: March 01, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Not funny, but interesting artcle about Ivan's relationship with his mother.
Quite upsetting, really.
The writer also suggests the reason he shows no emotion when watching Andy play is because that's how his parents behaved when they watched him.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-women-behind-the-men-no-4/
At No 4, Olga Lendlova (Ivan Lendl):

Olga was fierce. To help you understand Ivan Lendl’s relationship with his mother, Olga, have a flick through back issues of Sports Illustrated magazine. According to one old profile of Lendl, when Ivan was a boy Olga would strike him with her left hand if he talked back, until she broke her wristwatch with one of the blows, and she then had to remember to hit him with her right. Another issue told the story of the time he initially refused to eat his carrots and peas, and so she set a timer for ten minutes and left the room – he knew then to clear his plate. Olga, who was once the second-ranked female player in Czechoslovakia, was always tough on her son. He was just six years old when she told him at the courts: “If you’re going to cry, go home.”

Ever wondered why Lendl hardly shows any emotion when watching Andy Murray play? Because that was how his parents would behave when watching him. Both of Lendl’s parents knew their way around a tennis court – his father Jiri was in the top 20 of the domestic rankings – but you tend to hear much more about mum than dad. After all, it was Lendl’s mother who introduced him to the sport, and so helped him to escape from behind the Iron Curtain. As Lendl recalled of learning to play in Ostrava: “The conditions there were very difficult. We had one court for our whole town, about 300,000 people. The only way to get out of that country was to be great. Otherwise you had no chance.”
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #157 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27 PM »

Not funny, but interesting artcle about Ivan's relationship with his mother.
Quite upsetting, really.
The writer also suggests the reason he shows no emotion when watching Andy play is because that's how his parents behaved when they watched him.

http://www.thetennisspace.com/top-10-women-behind-the-men-no-4/
At No 4, Olga Lendlova (Ivan Lendl):

Olga was fierce. To help you understand Ivan Lendl’s relationship with his mother, Olga, have a flick through back issues of Sports Illustrated magazine. According to one old profile of Lendl, when Ivan was a boy Olga would strike him with her left hand if he talked back, until she broke her wristwatch with one of the blows, and she then had to remember to hit him with her right. Another issue told the story of the time he initially refused to eat his carrots and peas, and so she set a timer for ten minutes and left the room – he knew then to clear his plate. Olga, who was once the second-ranked female player in Czechoslovakia, was always tough on her son. He was just six years old when she told him at the courts: “If you’re going to cry, go home.”

Ever wondered why Lendl hardly shows any emotion when watching Andy Murray play? Because that was how his parents would behave when watching him. Both of Lendl’s parents knew their way around a tennis court – his father Jiri was in the top 20 of the domestic rankings – but you tend to hear much more about mum than dad. After all, it was Lendl’s mother who introduced him to the sport, and so helped him to escape from behind the Iron Curtain. As Lendl recalled of learning to play in Ostrava: “The conditions there were very difficult. We had one court for our whole town, about 300,000 people. The only way to get out of that country was to be great. Otherwise you had no chance.”

Oh, my gosh - tough love from Olga - a bit too tough for me, I fear.  But then again, I didn't live her life and know what it took to raise her son and put him on a forward path.  Shrug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #158 on: March 02, 2013, 01:27 AM »

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but could we be looking at the new world No.1?  And Diego could have done with a stepladder when he hugged Delpo at the net. lol

IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #159 on: March 02, 2013, 03:26 AM »

Gulbis: Some in Top 100 ‘can't play tennis’
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/02/gulbis-some-guys-top-100-cant-play-tennis/46601/#.UTFxHFeDCat

they can play more tennis than him, hes ranked below them :/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #160 on: March 02, 2013, 04:49 AM »

^ "There are some guys who I don't know who they are. Some guys, I'm sorry, with respect—they can't play tennis."  If he doesn't know them then how does he know what their tennis is like?  Maybe motormouth should have hung around in the top 100 to find out. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #161 on: March 03, 2013, 01:38 AM »

Aileen.. watching Maradonna reminded me of Super Mario. Very Happy

IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #162 on: March 03, 2013, 03:18 AM »

LOLOLOLOLOL
he cant say that, his forehand looks horible
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #163 on: March 05, 2013, 07:15 PM »

Love this!

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Funny/Interesting Stuff About Other Players « Reply #164 on: March 05, 2013, 07:20 PM »

^ That is so good! What a moment for that wee girl! 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »