Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Linked Events
  • Davis Cup: GB v Ukraine: March 06, 2009 - March 08, 2009
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Reply
Author

GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009

(Read 7509 times)
Josh
Seed

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #270 on: March 10, 2009, 07:52 PM »

I disagree. All the British tennis guys have always said Boggo has lots of talent etc but he hasnt shown it in Davis Cup certainly. I dont' think he has done what he can with his talent.

Maybe not in Davis Cup but by reaching a career high of 110 he has.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #271 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14 PM »

Except that he hasn't because guys like Lloyd and Gilbert has said that his talent could have him in the top 50! Career high of 110 doesn't sound too great with praise like that to live up to.

Even at No.4 in the world with all that he has achieved if this was all Andy ever did I think many would say he didn't do all he could with his talent.
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #272 on: March 10, 2009, 08:19 PM »

They had to say that, I doubt they ever really believed it.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #273 on: March 10, 2009, 08:32 PM »

But you did. Or at least you did a good job of convincing us you did. Convinced he'd make it into the top 70. Now your saying being 110 is doing what he could with his talent? Are you finally giving up on that top 70 dream?

Boggo has failed, as yet, to reach his potential and you have to admit at least that. Don't get me wrong, I would be delighted if the guy reaches that potential, but you have taken a bit of a u-turn as MW's biggest Boggo supporter to suggest that 110 is the best he can do...
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #274 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39 PM »

Josh, is he good in bed?

I'm still trying to figure out why you blindly defend this guy when you lack any convincing arguments Think
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #275 on: March 10, 2009, 08:44 PM »

roflmao
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #276 on: March 10, 2009, 09:19 PM »

I thought he would make top 70.  In 07 he was having a great year, doing well in most of the hardcourt Challengers he entered and attempting to qualify for some ATPs.  He should have beaten Roddick at Queens which would have taken him into an ATP quarter-final at home against an unproven WC (Cilic).  Unfortunately he didn't win.  At Wimbledon he had a good draw against the Gooch and I thought he would come through in 4 sets, then give Davydenko a good test in the next round, who at that point had never beaten a top 500 player on grass.  Again Boggo lost as Gooch served amazingly like he always had the potential to do and Boggo never got a chance on his serve.

I assumed that these were just minor setbacks against players who were just too good on the day and he was ready to consolidate a place in the top 100.  It turned out that Boggo didn't win another match for 3 months as he had a go at a few ATP events.  I thought he was just about to push on but I was wrong and actually he was already at his peak.  It's easy to criticize with hindsight, but that was probably the peak of his career.  He will probably get in the top 150 again, but I think his chance at establishing himself as a top 100 player has gone.  If he had won one of those matches in 07 then it might have been different but he didn't and I don't think he's ever going to get that close again.

Just because my expectations of him have changed does not mean I am any less of a fan.  I'm a big fan of Wycombe (football).  About 6 or 7 years ago they were pushing for promotion from the old division 2 into the old division 1.  They had one bad year and were relegated to League 2.  This season they are aiming for promotion back to League 1.  Just because I am now hoping they can become a solid League 1 side rather than a solid Championship side does not mean I am not as a big a fan now as I was 7 years ago.  My expectations of the team have changed, and what I consider a good season now I would not have considered a good season a few years ago.  What I consider as Boggo's maximum potential now is not what I thought he could achieve a couple of years ago.  You could say it's becoming more realistic or you could say I have more evidence to base my expectations on.  Boggo is no longer consistent enough week in, week out to break the top 100, but that doesn't mean I will follow his progress with any less enthusiasm than I have before

I have never slept with Boggo so I'm not sure how good he is in bed, but I guess he has to be good at something.  I blindly defend him against blind criticism every time he loses a match which he wasn't expected to win.  If he gave a terrible performance and lost in straight sets to a journeyman in an indoor challenger then I would have no defense for him.  I don't enjoy seeing people mock one of my favourite players for no particular reason and make him a scapegoat for our overall failure as a nation in tennis.
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #277 on: March 11, 2009, 03:41 PM »

Very well said Josh. Although Wycombe suck. lol
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #278 on: March 11, 2009, 05:28 PM »

They do at the moment Crying or Very sad

I bet you weren't saying that when they almost beat Liverpool in 01 lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #279 on: March 11, 2009, 07:06 PM »

I have nothing against Boggo but for some reason I do find it fun to mock him after some of his failures.

And I don't think anyone here has blamed Boggo for how crap British tennis is, that would make no sense.
IP Logged
netcord
Top Seed

Miles who?

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #280 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16 PM »

You can't beat a bit of Boggo bashing yes He is single-handedly the reason for British tennis being crap... Whistle
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #281 on: March 11, 2009, 07:30 PM »

lmao
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: GB vs Ukraine - Glasgow, March 2009 « Reply #282 on: March 12, 2009, 02:38 PM »

I went on the Friday, I think if Eaton had been playing Marchenko first instead of Goodall there might have been a different result at the end of the Cup, Eaton was playing really well against Sergei so could easily have won the Marchenko match and taken Britain 1-0 up straight away, this sometimes spurs the other players in to trying their best.   In the match against Goodall, I thought Marchenko played out of his skin, definitely better than his ranking suggested.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »