Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Grigor Dimitrov 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Grigor Dimitrov  (Read 737 times)
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Grigor Dimitrov « on: January 18, 2012, 05:59 AM »

Grigor is a talented kid and is quite good to watch he is playing Almagro in the 2nd round here i would think that he has a good chance to make the 3rd round. Smile
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:22 AM »

I like him too. Very elegant player. Him, Tomic, Harrison, Raonic = the future stars of tennis. Looks good yay
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:44 PM »

Kid is good.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Still way too inconsistent.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 12:48 PM »

^ I agree....after the way he played against Andy in Brisbane, I expected him to at least win his first round....
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:25 PM »

These players are all talented - Raonic, Dimitrov, Harrison, Tomic etc. but to what extent, time will tell.

Raonic is clearly most consistent and more confident too, but he gets that from his serve. Can be mental at times. This does not mean however that he's the most talented.

Harrison is too temperamental therefore inconsistent. He’ll do fine once he gets hold of his negative emotion. He just needs to be patient with his game.

Dimitrov just plain lacks confidence. Very mental. But he might be the most talented here in this bunch.

Tomic talented enough but overconfident and it’s damaging his career. He had a really flop year just last year, but that’s fine as long as he puts his stuff together and keeps his mouth perhaps a bit in check. Draws too many unnecessary negative attention as a result. This will stand his way if he doesn’t grow up in time. There were quite a few successful cocky players in the past but Tomic hasn’t taken himself to be that consistent level yet.

(I know this thread is about Dimitrov but I wanted point those out too)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:44 PM »

I think Dimitrov looks promising for the future if he can just gain some confidence.

I worry about the constant comparison with Federer. Their games are similar, so I sort of get it, but I just think the lad needs to be himself, or rather, needs to be allowed to be.

In a way I feel sorry for the youngsters now. In the 80s and 90s there seemed to be a lot of youngsters to knock off the older players. Now the game is so physical that you need to have matured a bit to deal with it. It's tough for any of them to break through.

As for the others, I haven't seen much of Harrison, so I can't judge. I just don't like the way Raonic plays, so I can't be neutral. He is a bit over-reliant on that big serve for my taste, his game just grates on me for some reason. In a way I'm glad Tomic has rediscovered his ability to play lately, but I don't know, he does seem cocky for a youngster. I'm no Federer fan, everyone knows that, but I do think some of Tomic's remarks about Federer the other day were a bit cheeky and uncalled for. It's just the sort of thing that encourages Federer and we can't have that.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:23 PM »

What happened  to him    losing out in the very first round  Frown
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 06:31 PM »

I think Dimitrov looks promising for the future if he can just gain some confidence.

I worry about the constant comparison with Federer. Their games are similar, so I sort of get it, but I just think the lad needs to be himself, or rather, needs to be allowed to be.

In a way I feel sorry for the youngsters now. In the 80s and 90s there seemed to be a lot of youngsters to knock off the older players. Now the game is so physical that you need to have matured a bit to deal with it. It's tough for any of them to break through.

As for the others, I haven't seen much of Harrison, so I can't judge. I just don't like the way Raonic plays, so I can't be neutral. He is a bit over-reliant on that big serve for my taste, his game just grates on me for some reason. In a way I'm glad Tomic has rediscovered his ability to play lately, but I don't know, he does seem cocky for a youngster. I'm no Federer fan, everyone knows that, but I do think some of Tomic's remarks about Federer the other day were a bit cheeky and uncalled for. It's just the sort of thing that encourages Federer and we can't have that.

This unfair comparison might be hindering his development in tennis but I think he'll shrug it off at some point. I know that tennis is very physical these days but I believe this group of players have games that are less taxing on the body. All of them fairly aggressive with the exception of Tomic but Tomic’s game is not at all physical. He’s more of a tactician like our Andy. So once they really grow up, maybe the tennis world will be less physical. There’s always hope.

Dimitrov doesn’t quite exactly play like Federer as he tends to stay a few feet behind the baseline whereas Federer is almost always inside the baseline. Unless you hit really deep, it’s very hard for any player to keep him off the baseline. Dimitrov though can be just as deadly behind the baseline but he’s not as consistent but I think that comes with confidence which will come with experience. 
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:59 AM »

http://nos.nl/video/474330-dimitrov-klopt-op-de-deur.html

Nice item about journalists not knowing his name (dimitros???) and Valentines day (3.01).

And de best match from the Rotterdam tournament with jump over the net....

http://nos.nl/video/474565-abn-amro-2013-dimitrov--baghdatis.html
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:30 PM »

glad Grigor has got his own thread.  I like his game and he strikes me as a modest young man unlike some of the other young Turks listed above.  Perhaps he'll be like Andy - always on something of a roller coaster.  At present he's my # 2 though I don't find I have the same emotional involvement as when I watch Andy, which makes it less exciting but also less gut-wrenching.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Dimitrov is Angie.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34 AM »

I'm a fan of Dimitrov too, like his style of tennis and the way he conducts himself Very Happy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49 AM »

Saw D's last  match and one of his back hand  shots was a total liability, really "loopy," kept getting killed.  I think a single handed BH is a bit of a liability these days anyway.
But his movement was terrific
[ Last edit by blueberryhill February 21, 2013, 07:55 AM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Grigor Dimitrov « Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 10:25 AM »

Saw D's last  match and one of his back hand  shots was a total liability, really "loopy," kept getting killed.  I think a single handed BH is a bit of a liability these days anyway.
But his movement was terrific

His movement really is great - excellent footwork. Agree about the single handed BH - I think he'll struggle a lot against players with very strong two-handed backhands. He can hit some wonderful winners with it though too.

I'm definitely a Grigor fan - nice to see a player who's willing to mix things up and play with variety when this era has become so marked by baseline slugging.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »