Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  I'm starting to dislike Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 56 Go Down Reply
Author

I'm starting to dislike Federer

(Read 26189 times)
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #465 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03 PM »

I've always thought he seems like a nice enough guy, he's just quite arrogant and up his own arse, and sometimes disrespectful towards his other players.

It's his fans that piss me off more.

Particularly the British ones.

God yes, I could gladly strangle every one of them.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #466 on: August 06, 2012, 06:40 PM »

lol Yes he did behave very well yesterday. We amplify Roger's bad points onn here- but the other players wouldn't be as nice about him in the press if he wasn't actually a good guy.
I've recently heard a story from a friend about Federer which makes me think he's a good bloke away from tennis - so many people can't be wrong I guess. However, on and around court, he remains the biggest cock I've ever witnessed in the sport. I think I'll treat him more as a pantomime villain from now on - it's only a game, after all.
I think he is a decent guy off court, which is one reason I opened a thread on here 2 years ago in the hope of getting that across - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/tennis/roger-federer-off-court/   Unfortunately Sylvie (aka MurrayRocks) flooded it with pics, so I guess not many people were interested, although I see it was read 16,386 times - maybe all those Fed fans visiting MW for a bit of hero worship?!

I thought he was being genuinely respectful towards Andy yesterday rather than just putting it on for the occasion.  Maybe he now does see Andy as an equal (well, sort of!)?  However, I also read in a recent interview that he doesn't regard himself as the GOAT and doesn't like be called that.  Could be he's getting mellower in his old age, but inevitably the mask is going to slip from time to time.
IP Logged
Flossie

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #467 on: August 06, 2012, 10:48 PM »

How is it that Andy on winning his gold medal, was so nice to Smugfed at the net. Did he not notice the lack of eye contact on the handshake and remember all the past snide patronising remarks made against him in the past. Andy is truly nice guy.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #468 on: August 06, 2012, 11:14 PM »

I thought he was being genuinely respectful towards Andy yesterday rather than just putting it on for the occasion.  Maybe he now does see Andy as an equal (well, sort of!)?  However, I also read in a recent interview that he doesn't regard himself as the GOAT and doesn't like be called that.  Could be he's getting mellower in his old age, but inevitably the mask is going to slip from time to time.

Yes, I wondered today if he recently (and finally) has found some respect for Andy. There's noticeably less of the snide crap before and after matches these days.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #469 on: August 06, 2012, 11:15 PM »

How is it that Andy on winning his gold medal, was so nice to Smugfed at the net. Did he not notice the lack of eye contact on the handshake and remember all the past snide patronising remarks made against him in the past. Andy is truly nice guy.

He chose to rise above it, as the bigger man.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #470 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14 AM »

Fed's comments on the Olympic final from the ATP website.  You really do have to love this guy! Rolling Eyes

“I think this is as good as I could do during these championships,” reflected the Swiss. “Andy was much better than I was today in many aspects of the game. For me, it’s been a great month. I won Wimbledon, became World No. 1 again, and I got silver.   Don’t feel too bad for me. I am very, very proud honestly to have won a silver.

“I had a very emotional tournament from start to finish. I could have lost in the first round against (Alejandro) Falla. Same thing obviously with (Juan Martin) del Potro. I felt like I won my silver, I didn’t lose it. So I feel very, very happy.”

Federer had edged Falla 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 in his opener and earned his place in the gold medal match by prevailing against del Potro 3-6, 7-6(5), 19-17 in a semi-final that lasted four hours and 26 minutes.

He reflected on the emotional drain of those narrow escapes, and admitted it may have gotten the better of him in the final.

“I had tears in my eyes after my first round match. Doing media on court, I almost broke down,” he explained. “But this is how much this meant to me. I understood how close I was from losing. Then there was no doubt about it, I felt the same way exactly after the semis.

“Maybe there was so much emotion already out of me that potentially today that kind of hindered me from playing my absolute very best.”

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #471 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09 AM »

I think he's too intelligent not to have been respectful of Andy in his post-match interview.  And I do agree that finally he is showing Andy some genuine respect because it's impossible for him not to now.  But I don't think that excuses the way he's acted towards Andy in the past.  After all Andy has always been highly respectful of him.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #472 on: August 07, 2012, 11:41 AM »

Hence Andy's extremely muted celebrations just after winning clap
Of course once Fed had left the court yahooo
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #473 on: August 07, 2012, 05:00 PM »

Yes I loved the way Andy celebrated.  Muted while fed still there but even afterwards it was a celebration of unfettered joy rather than an in your face macho statement.  I could never get tired of watching Andy leap for joy.  yay yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #474 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45 AM »

Yes I loved the way Andy celebrated.  Muted while fed still there but even afterwards it was a celebration of unfettered joy rather than an in your face macho statement.  I could never get tired of watching Andy leap for joy.  yay yay
Andy once said he doesn't like celebrating in front of a defeated opponent in finals out of respect for their feelings.  Personally I couldn't give a **** for Fed's feelings, the way he's behaved in the past when he's won.  He may not jump up and down, but my goodness he makes up for it in his on-court interviews!  Also Djokovic could take a lesson from Andy as well.  All that macho posturing really is uncalled for.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #475 on: August 08, 2012, 04:36 AM »

Eh, methinks they are all different human beings, with different personalities, so they do and should celebrate differently. With the media attention at an all time historical high, and as a result the players' every word and action commented on, debated, and heavily "policed", it would be nice to just let the players be whomever they truly are - let them show emotion, scream, jump, drop to their knees, lawn-mower, pump their fists, or calmly walk to net - who cares? As long as they shake hands respectfully and are fair in their pressers, nothing wrong with differences in actions and personality.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #476 on: August 08, 2012, 02:00 PM »

Eh, methinks they are all different human beings, with different personalities, so they do and should celebrate differently. With the media attention at an all time historical high, and as a result the players' every word and action commented on, debated, and heavily "policed", it would be nice to just let the players be whomever they truly are - let them show emotion, scream, jump, drop to their knees, lawn-mower, pump their fists, or calmly walk to net - who cares? As long as they shake hands respectfully and are fair in their pressers, nothing wrong with differences in actions and personality.

This.

I seriously have never been bothered by Novak's celebrations. When you win what he's won, you're entitled to enjoy it. He's not been disrespectful to his opponents (like Federer was after beating Roddick at Wimbledon).
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #477 on: August 08, 2012, 03:56 PM »

Nole does celebrate with chest beating, but he's very gracious in victory and very warm at the net with his opponent. Also, applauds other player when on court.
At one time I thought he could do with less respect tbh, but he got over that  yay
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #478 on: August 08, 2012, 05:32 PM »

I don't mind who celebrates how, really, as long as they are respectful to their opponents.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #479 on: August 09, 2012, 03:34 AM »

I think Tsonga's celebrations are the best, and he's always courteous and respectful towards his opponents too.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 56 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »