Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Friday, Time - 6:30pm GMT - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  I'm starting to dislike Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 56 Go Down Reply
Author

I'm starting to dislike Federer

(Read 25849 times)
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #480 on: August 09, 2012, 04:40 AM »

I guess we're getting kind of  offtopic but I remember when Safin beat Fed (back on topic!) in the semis at the AO in 2005, he barely celebrated, just kind of put his arms up for 1 second, and then went to the net. Then, when he beat the Australian golden boy, Hewitt, in the final, just a tiny fist pump, and straight to the net. The guy just won a slam! He had waited 4.5 years to get his second slam!! And he hardly celebrated!!! - At least not on the court. Wink Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Emotive celebrations seem fine if they're about letting out emotions - but not self-aggrandizing (or self-pitying for that matter). I've always felt the #15 jacket in the bag was in very bad taste. Must have made Roddick feel like a chump. Fed & Nike must've got some flack for that?  Eyebrow raise.
[ Last edit by janetx August 09, 2012, 04:45 AM ] IP Logged
Ivelina

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #481 on: August 09, 2012, 09:55 AM »

Nothing beats Youshny's celebrating(clowning)
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #482 on: September 17, 2012, 09:57 PM »

Is he on the road out??????????????
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/wounded-federer-wants-break-tennis-091918062.html
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #483 on: September 17, 2012, 10:23 PM »

I think the problem for him now is how hard he has to work to keep pace with the other 3. He started to grind down when Rafa started taking him to 5 sets in finals, then Novak started to do the same, and now our Andy is finally coming into his prime, i feel the pressure fed feels with 3 challengers to deal with may be taking it's toll not just physically but emotionally too.
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #484 on: September 17, 2012, 10:28 PM »

So he may be on the way out???  Best news since Andy won the US Open!!
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #485 on: September 17, 2012, 10:33 PM »

I think the problem for him now is how hard he has to work to keep pace with the other 3. He started to grind down when Rafa started taking him to 5 sets in finals, then Novak started to do the same, and now our Andy is finally coming into his prime, i feel the pressure fed feels with 3 challengers to deal with may be taking it's toll not just physically but emotionally too.

He has had a pretty good year. 1 Slam. Won Cinncy. World number 2. He's still a great player and its always going to be "next" year when he finally slows down. I reckon he'll be top 4  and reaching Slam finals for the next 2 years at least.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #486 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45 PM »

He has had a pretty good year. 1 Slam. Won Cinncy. World number 2. He's still a great player and its always going to be "next" year when he finally slows down. I reckon he'll be top 4  and reaching Slam finals for the next 2 years at least.

I don't think he's close to retiring, and yes he will still challenge for majors, but it took a great deal of effort for him to get his number 1 spot back, and the older he gets the less easier it will be for him, i think he played 69 matches so far or so? that's a hell of a lot for him, especially when you consider Andy has only played something like 58 plus i think he's missing Rafa on the tour Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #487 on: September 18, 2012, 12:30 AM »

I read that on the Tennis News thread and thought it was quite amusing.  "Wounded"?  The only thing that's wounded is his massive ego!  Time it got pricked.  I bet he's sore that he didn't win gold at the Olympics and got knocked out of the USO by Berdych.

I reckon he's paying the price for his over-weaning ambition, i.e. to get the No.1 spot back.  He's 31 now, and that's quite old these days for players who want to stay at the very top, since the game is a lot more physically and mentally demanding than it used to be.  Also I agree with The Gnome - he must be feeling the heat now that Andy has proved that he really is a serious contender in Slams.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #488 on: September 18, 2012, 12:44 AM »

I'm not going to criticise Federer with regard to his comments on Davis Cup. What I will say is that during the Davis Cup matches with Argentina v Czechs the commentators (on Eurosport) mentioned Andy's late withdrawal when GB played Argentina. There were a few little digs at Andy. However, later on they praised Federer for managing his schedule so well.

It seems that Federer is clever when his misses DC but Andy is selfish. I wonder if Castle, Lloyd etc will be so quick to criticise Roger as they have been to criticise Andy.

After leading Switzerland to a Davis Cup World Group playoff win over the Netherlands, Roger Federer tells DavisCup.com that the competiton is not one of his highest priorities. Federer has only played sporadically for Swtizerland.

“Not really a whole lot to be quite honest,” Federer said when asked about priority of the competition. “For me it’s more about taking part with my teammates, I enjoy being with them, and that's about it really. I have a good time and my teammates are all my best friends ... I don't see them regular basis on tour and we have a great friendship and it’s always a lot of fun.”

Federer would not commit to playing Switzerland’s next tie in 2013, and said he will now take a vacation.

“I need holiday badly,” he said. “I’m wounded, tired, and exhausted and need some time off right now and see where I go from here. Nothing has been decided for the rest of year, even though there is a plan in place, that plan might change. I need to go back to drawing board to see what’s important.”

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #489 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04 AM »

I get the feeling Federer is thinking about things. He's had a great year for sure but I don't really think he enjoys getting beaten by players like Berdych etc. He's okay to take a loss from Andy or Nole or Nadal as he really thinks they are his true rivals but not from anyone below. Certainly not Berdych. Besides, he really wanted to win a Slam since 2009 and wanted to get back to No. 1 one more time to break Sampras' record, but now that he's done both, I don't feel the motivation factor is as much there. He can go and try to win two more Slams for sure but they won't come easy and a loss to someone he doesn't expect will affect his overall mental state a lot more than before. He's a smart guy so I am sure he knows what's best for him. Whatever he does, I am sure it will be very well thought.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #490 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13 AM »

^ Also Emma Jean I think the Olympics were a motivator this year; Fed really wanted a medal in singles, ideally gold but Andy trumped him. Still, he did accomplish that as well as getting one more Wimbledon and breaking Pete's record. So what's left to do? Meanwhile, his kids are growing, maybe Mirka would even like another? And who's going to surpass Fed any time soon. I know he said he would like to play 2016 in Rio, but that's 4 years away. Will he really play until he's almost 36?! Fed is unlike Agassi, after all, who dropped out for over a year due to his personal issues. Fed's been playing straight for years, with nary an injury and always late, late into the slams and most events he's entered. It's really quite amazing what he's managed to do. He has to feel some burnout. He sees others retiring around him, like Roddick, JCF, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves after next year, when he's 32. Especially if he starts getting beaten more regularly by other foes.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #491 on: September 18, 2012, 01:42 AM »

After leading Switzerland to a Davis Cup World Group playoff win over the Netherlands, Roger Federer tells DavisCup.com that the competiton is not one of his highest priorities. Federer has only played sporadically for Swtizerland.

“Not really a whole lot to be quite honest,” Federer said when asked about priority of the competition. “For me it’s more about taking part with my teammates, I enjoy being with them, and that's about it really. I have a good time and my teammates are all my best friends ... I don't see them regular basis on tour and we have a great friendship and it’s always a lot of fun.”

Federer would not commit to playing Switzerland’s next tie in 2013, and said he will now take a vacation.
The only reason he's played for Switzerland more often recently was (a) he needed to do so to qualify for the Olympics, and (b) the Swiss Tennis Association got seriously upset by his constant absences and started making a big fuss about it, saying that he didn't care about his country.  This was not good publicity for the GOAT.

I really do think that Fed's seriously considering retiring, maybe even at the end of this year.  His over-inflated ego simply couldn't cope with constant defeats and a slide, however minor, down the rankings.  But, oh dear!  What are all the FedLuvvies going to do???
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #492 on: September 18, 2012, 10:21 AM »

I get the feeling Federer is thinking about things. He's had a great year for sure but I don't really think he enjoys getting beaten by players like Berdych etc. He's okay to take a loss from Andy or Nole or Nadal as he really thinks they are his true rivals but not from anyone below. Certainly not Berdych.

News just out. Federer is retiring. A distraught Federer  said this morning "I can accept begin beaten but not by Berdych. I mean come on, Berdych!!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #493 on: September 18, 2012, 10:25 AM »

^ Berdych beat him b4 in a rather significant tournament. Has he got selective memory loss? Whistle
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #494 on: September 18, 2012, 11:00 AM »

I think next year will be key for Fed. If he gets beaten before the SFs in all the slams, then I think he'll call it a day at the end of the year. If not, he'll probably carry on. He's got to be happy with his year as a whole though - Wimbledon slam, back to number 1, and 6 titles.

His latest comments have more to do with him not wanting to go to Asia imo - he's only scheduled to play Shanghai so it's a long way to go to just play the one tournament. I expect he'll have a strong end to the year like he usually does - indoor hardcourts are perfect for his game.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 56 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »