Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  I'm starting to dislike Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 56 Go Down Reply
Author

I'm starting to dislike Federer

(Read 23025 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #495 on: September 18, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Maybe he has a Japanese sponsor lurking in the background somewhere Whistle
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #496 on: September 18, 2012, 01:10 PM »

I can't see him retiring this year. I think he will only retire when he accepts he's not going to win any more Slams. And having won one this year, and being one of four players who will realistically win the Slams, he's clearly still very much in contention.

I just can't see him being the type to end on a high either. I think he's too stubborn. He'll go when he accepts he's not good enough to win any more Slams, rather than resting on his laurels.

I've always thought he'll finish at Basel as well, given it's one of the last tournaments of the year. Maybe a fairly sudden retirement, ala Roddick, around the same time, then will come back to play one last tournament in front of his home fans. 2013 or 2014 is my guesstimate.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #497 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24 PM »

I can't see him retiring this year. I think he will only retire when he accepts he's not going to win any more Slams. And having won one this year, and being one of four players who will realistically win the Slams, he's clearly still very much in contention.

I just can't see him being the type to end on a high either. I think he's too stubborn. He'll go when he accepts he's not good enough to win any more Slams, rather than resting on his laurels.

I've always thought he'll finish at Basel as well, given it's one of the last tournaments of the year. Maybe a fairly sudden retirement, ala Roddick, around the same time, then will come back to play one last tournament in front of his home fans. 2013 or 2014 is my guesstimate.
It took Federer two and a half years to win that last Slam, and even then he got a little bit lucky.  If the roof hadn't been closed who's to say Andy might not have managed to turn the match round?  Admittedly his belief seemed to be deserting him a little by the end of the second set, but I don't think anything can be discounted had the match continued outdoors.  So what price his achieving his ambition of 20?

Federer may be stubborn, but he has such a huge ego that my feeling is that he'll jump before he's pushed - and that includes the possibility of retiring this year IF he does bounce back after the Asian swing and do well for the remainder of the season.  Legends don't usually bow out publicly announcing that they're "wounded" and "exhausted", although I'm sure Federer could come up with a reason more befitting his status should he make that decision over the coming weeks.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #498 on: September 18, 2012, 04:14 PM »

The truth at last - Mirka's been having a go at him cos she's had enough! #onlyhalfjoking

IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #499 on: September 18, 2012, 04:45 PM »

Federer last 4 GS wins were 3 against Andy, 1 against Roddick and 1 against Soderling, i think that's correct, if it wasn't for Andy's confidence and mental frailty over the last 4 years, and Nadal's absence in the FO 2009, and even Roddick pushed him hard at Wimbledon 2009, then in all honesty Fed could have been looking at no slams since 2007 - in my opinion Fed was so successful from 2003-2007 due to lack of competition, as soon as there was competition from Rafa, Novak and now Andy, his slam win % came right down.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #500 on: September 18, 2012, 05:00 PM »

Federer last 4 GS wins were 3 against Andy, 1 against Roddick and 1 against Soderling,
3+1+1=...4..? unsure
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #501 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52 PM »

Have you all read the news today re federer he wishes time out he is wounded exhausted and wishes to have time out to sort himself out .This is good news for Andy nadal not well and now federer. i saw his reaction after the Berdych match astounded and fed up.I do think when you are over 30 you should retire. i remember when i was working in Hong kong Edberg came and told me he was retiring when he was at the top of his game, now is the time to spend with my family. good for him. This is waht federer should do he has won everything and will always be the best player.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #502 on: September 18, 2012, 08:23 PM »

Federer last 4 GS wins were 3 against Andy, 1 against Roddick and 1 against Soderling, i think that's correct, if it wasn't for Andy's confidence and mental frailty over the last 4 years, and Nadal's absence in the FO 2009, and even Roddick pushed him hard at Wimbledon 2009, then in all honesty Fed could have been looking at no slams since 2007 - in my opinion Fed was so successful from 2003-2007 due to lack of competition, as soon as there was competition from Rafa, Novak and now Andy, his slam win % came right down.

Yep... thats why im NOT on the Federer Is The Greatest Ever bandwagon. He's had alot of good fortunate to get the slam No.s he has tallied up. He is no doubt up there with the best players ...but 'THE' best?... highly debatable. As soon as Rafa & Djoko came along he was struggling. Now he has Andy to deal with also. He should retire before he starts getting royally humped in every future grand slam.
Well...... actually ...please stick around Rog!! I love watching u get beat...especially by Oor Andy!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #503 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27 PM »

3+1+1=...4..? unsure

No it makes 5, but thanks for taking the time to point out an obvious typo, for a second there i was thinking you may be trying to deliberately highlight a perceived lack of intelligence on my part..
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #504 on: September 18, 2012, 08:32 PM »

It took Federer two and a half years to win that last Slam, and even then he got a little bit lucky.  If the roof hadn't been closed who's to say Andy might not have managed to turn the match round?  Admittedly his belief seemed to be deserting him a little by the end of the second set, but I don't think anything can be discounted had the match continued outdoors.  So what price his achieving his ambition of 20?

Federer may be stubborn, but he has such a huge ego that my feeling is that he'll jump before he's pushed - and that includes the possibility of retiring this year IF he does bounce back after the Asian swing and do well for the remainder of the season.  Legends don't usually bow out publicly announcing that they're "wounded" and "exhausted", although I'm sure Federer could come up with a reason more befitting his status should he make that decision over the coming weeks.

Federer always has a lengthy list of excuses handy for any defeat.... rather than just concede when the better player on the day won... or admit the quality of opposition has increased considerably the last 3-4 yrs.
He was fortunate to win Wimbledon. Murray was tearing Fed a new one..until Murray let the delay and roof closure affect his performance. Had Murray sustained that level ( as he did in the Olympic final) Fed would have lost in straight sets...I have no doubt about that.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #505 on: September 18, 2012, 08:40 PM »

I don't think he's close to retiring, and yes he will still challenge for majors, but it took a great deal of effort for him to get his number 1 spot back, and the older he gets the less easier it will be for him, i think he played 69 matches so far or so? that's a hell of a lot for him, especially when you consider Andy has only played something like 58 plus i think he's missing Rafa on the tour Smile

Yeah....I reckon Fed realised he wasnt the fav for winning a slam any more....so decided the best route to No.1 was to accumulate ATP points via the smaller tournaments. He had to play sooo many matches to do that tho. Now he is realising he cant sustain that another year... its his last time at No1 ... I have no doubt about that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #506 on: September 26, 2012, 04:54 PM »

Apparently not.  What a difference a week makes. Rolling Eyes  Fed really is a drama queen.

I double-checked this article with rogerfederer.com who have Shanghai as his next tournament.

Roger Federer to begin training ahead of Shanghai Masters

17-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer is going to begin training on hard courts, before heading into the 2012 Shanghai Masters next month at the Qizhong Forest Sports City Arena in Shanghai.

World No. 1 Roger Federer will return back to the Qizhong Forest Sports City Arena in Shanghai, where he has withdraws from the last year’s tournament with injury. Swiss Maestro said he is very excite to be back to Shanghai and hopes to give best performance to lift the title, before heading into the Paris Masters.

Full story - http://www.livetennisguide.com/2012/09/25/roger-federer-to-begin-training-ahead-of-shanghai-masters/

The LTG also had another article in which Federer says he's looking forward to touring South America in December, when he'll play exhibition matches.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #507 on: September 26, 2012, 05:53 PM »

yep ..... he needs the smaller tournaments becoz he wont win another slam ...and for djokovic to not overtake him in the world rankings Fed has to get points from somewhere incase he cant win the 02 world tour. His coaching staff no doubt told him... Feddy boy...stop whining like a wee girl and you'll have to play these tournaments otherwise its the last you'll be No.1...and you would then have to retire coz your ego (thats size of a an entire galaxy or 2) will be crushed and you'll throw all your toys out the stroller....not pretty eh? Feddy boy... lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #508 on: September 26, 2012, 05:58 PM »

His coaching staff no doubt told him... Feddy boy...stop whining like a wee girl and you'll have to play these tournaments otherwise its the last you'll be No.1...and you would then have to retire coz your ego (thats size of a an entire galaxy or 2) will be crushed and you'll throw all your toys out the stroller....not pretty eh? Feddy boy... lol
I like the thought of that. Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #509 on: September 27, 2012, 07:42 PM »

lol

* fed.jpg (167.69 KB, 960x720 - viewed 17 times.)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 ... 56 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »