Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  I'm starting to dislike Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 56 Go Down Reply
Author

I'm starting to dislike Federer

(Read 26225 times)
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #570 on: November 22, 2012, 02:28 PM »

The Darth Vader mask in Paris might have been a laugh if he hadn't turned round and lost the match, by which time it made him look a bit of a prat.

So no-one should ever have a laugh before or during a match just in case they lose?  I often hear the criticism (from folk who don't watch much) that tennis is too serious these days so I applaud the likes of Djoko who can chill out and bring a few smiles.  I laughed when he came out wearing an eye patch after suffering contact trouble in the previous match.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #571 on: November 22, 2012, 04:41 PM »

Thank you so much for the videos TMH!!! hug
IP Logged
rocketassist

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #572 on: November 26, 2012, 01:57 AM »

Roger is a great entertainer. Yeah he has a gob on him when he loses sometimes, but I respect the guy's game, his longevity and his career. Out of the top 4 if Andy can't win then he's definitely the next best guy for me (although I wouldn't call myself a fan)
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #573 on: November 27, 2012, 02:49 PM »

I've never found Federer as a great entertainer. Nole is a great entertainer and there are some other players but never Federer. I actually find him controversial rather than entertainer.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #574 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21 AM »

I've never found Federer as a great entertainer. Nole is a great entertainer and there are some other players but never Federer. I actually find him controversial rather than entertainer.

I always thought Djokovic is trying too hard. I don't find him entertaining at all.  I don't find Federer entertaining either though, aside from maybe his Tennis. I admire his ability, but his personality and off-court behaviour doesn't impress me at all.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #575 on: November 28, 2012, 04:14 PM »

I've liked Djokovic a lot more since he cut out his on-court impersonations of other players and toned down his ape-man celebrations.  He's seems a decent, unassuming guy, just as Andy is, but I've seen videos of him off court and there's no doubt he can be hilariously funny.  He could have a career in the entertainment world when he gives up playing, just like French player Jannick Noah did, and like Noah would probably do a lot of it for charity.
[ Last edit by Aileen November 28, 2012, 04:17 PM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #576 on: November 28, 2012, 04:33 PM »

I agree, Djoko is a natural showman and I've warmed to him a lot more recently.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #577 on: November 28, 2012, 05:00 PM »

I must admit that I never used to like Djokovic, back when he was essentially the ATP's official whinger, or at least it seemed like that. Now though, I think he is basically a nice bloke. I love his manner with Andy, like that lovely moment in Shanghai when Andy gate-crashed the interview. Also, Djokovic has never tried to tell Andy how to play, unlike a certain other person.

No one is perfect, but over the last couple of years I do think Djokovic has mellowed a bit. I like the way, like Andy, he often shows appreciation of a good shot from an opponent. He never used to do that. Also, Djokovic's reactions in defeat often seem genuine. I'm sure he doesn't like losing, none of them do, but I do think he is gracious in defeat.

I think Djokovic used to take some of the 'fun' a bit far. I know there are stories of some of the players having been annoyed over some of the impressions for example - although, his Sharapova is brilliant, and hilarious. I do think there is room for a laugh, but there is also a time and a place for it. That's why I felt like the Darth Vader mask was a bit daft in Paris. That could have led to suggestions that he wasn't serious about that match when he went on to lose. That said, that sort of messing around is the exception now, when it used to be the rule.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #578 on: November 28, 2012, 05:43 PM »

That Darth Vader mask was sheer stupidity but it's worth remembering that, at the time, Djoko's father was seriously ill in hospital, which could have been (a) that he was trying to buck himself up, or (b) why he lost the match.

The most entertaining player ever has to be Mansour Barhami, followed by Yannick Noah.  Shame Barhami's with the seniors now but I'm hoping to see him on TV at the RAH.  Jimmy Connors could be quite funny on court but he was a bit too full of himself.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #579 on: November 28, 2012, 06:13 PM »

I must admit that I never used to like Djokovic, back when he was essentially the ATP's official whinger, or at least it seemed like that. Now though, I think he is basically a nice bloke. I love his manner with Andy, like that lovely moment in Shanghai when Andy gate-crashed the interview. Also, Djokovic has never tried to tell Andy how to play, unlike a certain other person.

No one is perfect, but over the last couple of years I do think Djokovic has mellowed a bit. I like the way, like Andy, he often shows appreciation of a good shot from an opponent. He never used to do that. Also, Djokovic's reactions in defeat often seem genuine. I'm sure he doesn't like losing, none of them do, but I do think he is gracious in defeat.

I think Djokovic used to take some of the 'fun' a bit far. I know there are stories of some of the players having been annoyed over some of the impressions for example - although, his Sharapova is brilliant, and hilarious. I do think there is room for a laugh, but there is also a time and a place for it. That's why I felt like the Darth Vader mask was a bit daft in Paris. That could have led to suggestions that he wasn't serious about that match when he went on to lose. That said, that sort of messing around is the exception now, when it used to be the rule.

As far as I know, it was Nole who actually started the trend - showing appreciation of a good shot from an opponent. Many others have done it in the past but Nole does it sometimes on crucial points.

Nole is of very competitive nature on court but once the match is over, he’s okay with the result – win or loss.

When it comes to Nole, I don’t think there any boundaries so no time or place sense for him either.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #580 on: November 28, 2012, 06:16 PM »

Jonas Bjorkman used to be a great entertainer. Agassi tried too. The Americans found Jimmy Connors quite entertaining.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #581 on: November 29, 2012, 10:53 AM »

The most entertaining player ever has to be Mansour Barhami, followed by Yannick Noah. 

I've seen Bahrami live. He is brilliant, as well as being an absolute sweetheart.

Leconte is quite funny live too, I saw him at the same event I saw Bahrami, but Leconte never seems to know when to shut up, which gets annoying after a bit.

I'm trying to think of the others I've seen, but I can't remember.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #582 on: November 29, 2012, 03:10 PM »

That Darth Vader mask was sheer stupidity but it's worth remembering that, at the time, Djoko's father was seriously ill in hospital, which could have been (a) that he was trying to buck himself up, or (b) why he lost the match.

The Darth Vader mask was just part of a tradition that Nole's got at Paris - he always wears some sort of mask for Halloween there. I like it, not many players would walk on court like that wearing a mask but Nole can carry the humour off well. Smile

I also really like how Nole can applaud a good shot from his opponent. He's very fair like that. I felt last year that some of his victory celebrations were a little OTT (like in some of the clay masters events) but he's toned that down a lot this year. And I'd put him as one of the best in the top 10 for how he reacts in defeat.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #583 on: November 30, 2012, 01:29 AM »

The Darth Vader mask was just part of a tradition that Nole's got at Paris - he always wears some sort of mask for Halloween there. I like it, not many players would walk on court like that wearing a mask but Nole can carry the humour off well. Smile
blush  Thanks Katie.  I was only able to watch Paris for the first time last year, and must have missed Nole's tradition, probably because I was focussing on Andy's matches.
[ Last edit by Aileen November 30, 2012, 03:20 AM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: I'm starting to dislike Federer « Reply #584 on: December 04, 2012, 03:22 PM »

blush  Thanks Katie.  I was only able to watch Paris for the first time last year, and must have missed Nole's tradition, probably because I was focussing on Andy's matches.

No probs Aileen. Smile I've found a few of Nole's past masks - 2008 Paris, 2010 Paris, and . Can't imagine any other player doing this!  Very Happy Imagine if Federer did it?! - no way would he be able to carry it off like Nole does.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 ... 56 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »