Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Karatantcheva's ban 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Is two years ban too harsh or not?  (Voting closed: January 12, 2006, 06:53 PM)
Too harsh - 1 (10%)
Not harsh enough - 0 (0%)
Fair - 9 (90%)
Couldn't care less! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Karatantcheva's ban

(Read 1440 times)
Amy
Challenger Level

Karatantcheva's ban « on: January 12, 2006, 06:53 PM »

Karatantcheva, the 16 year old world number 40 (or somewhere round there) has tested positive for a performance enhancing drug- think this happened in the French Open last year or around that time anyway.
She says she was pregnant at the time and is going to appeal.
She may get a 2 year ban and is the 2nd woman to ever get banned for a performace enhancing drug.

Although i am NO WAY a supporter of performance enhancing drugs in any ay or form (kinda spoils the game anyway so whats the point in playing if your gonna cheat?!)- 2 years is a bit steep in my opinion.
She was a silly little girl to do so and deserves to be given a right thrashing BUT

2 years?!

I reemember one woman was tested positive for cocaine and she only got a 3 month ban (her name escapes me).
so- you decide- FAIR or NOT FAIR?
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 06:56 PM »

by the time the ban is over shell be 18.thats not too late to start competeing again and she can still train for the next two years.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 06:59 PM »

I voted fair, purely because although I know shes only young and in all likelyhood it may not have been enitrely her fault, unless this can be proved she remains a drug cheat. The message has to go out that drugs are not acceptable for any reason in any way shape or form - if this comes at the cost of 2 years of her career, then so be it.
If she was innocent and can prove it then good luck to her and I hope she wins her appeal. Smile
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 07:01 PM »

2 years without tennis though?!

and erian- totally agree on the 'may not be her fault' thing.

May be worth mantioning her coach is her father- im sure ive heard that somewhere...
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:02 PM »

Also - a full time tennis player and pregnant at 16? She really must be busy....
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 07:03 PM »

hmmmmmm..... fishy.
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 07:04 PM »

fish

teehee fish. sorry, i couldnt help myself....
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13 PM »

Sorry to sound blonde, but what does her being pregnant have to do with it?  confused
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 07:15 PM »

Raised levels of hormones produced while pregnant can apparently cause the same results as certain banned substances.
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 07:25 PM »

Ahhh right, thankyou
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 07:29 PM »

Lol, I only knew that because I read it on the BBC boards earlier Wink
IP Logged
iaintheviolaplayer
ATP Level

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 07:37 PM »

maybe its also worth pointing out that if she wasnt so young, say 21 or over, i would say she should have had a life ban
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 07:59 PM »

Pregnant or drugs, i think both are pretty stupid  Think
To get pregnant at 16, with a promising tennis career ahead of her..... how stupid can you get? She should have used the correct protection etc. because IMO getting herself pregnant at 16..... pretty careless and stupid.  no

And if it is drugs, then yup.... stupid too..... but i think 2 years is quite a fair punishment.... at least she's young, and could come back when the ban is over, being only 18.  goodjob
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 08:00 PM »

Quote from: "Banannie"
To get pregnant at 16, with a promising tennis career ahead of her..... how stupid can you get?

Well quite. Agree totally. To get pregnant at 16 in any situation is not a good move - its just not fair on the child. Although, some people really seem to make it work - so hats off to them....
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Karatantcheva's ban « Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 08:11 PM »

Quote from: "eira_arian"
Quote from: "Banannie"
To get pregnant at 16, with a promising tennis career ahead of her..... how stupid can you get?

Well quite. Agree totally. To get pregnant at 16 in any situation is not a good move - its just not fair on the child. Although, some people really seem to make it work - so hats off to them....

Yup!  My other brother got his girlfriend pregnant when they were both just turned 18 but they have a house (rented) and good jobs and they are lucky, I know a girl at my school who got pregnant at 14 and has since had her baby taken off her!

But in tennis, you can't have a baby and travel the worlds doing tournaments.  You might be able to get away with it if you did a different sport, but not tennis.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »