Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 28 Go Down Reply
Author

Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players

(Read 4731 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « on: May 05, 2012, 03:44 PM »

No Andy, but for those who also follow other players, this is the draw for Madrid - http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2012/1536/mds.pdf
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16 PM »

Thanks Aileen - looks like a potentially tough first match for Federer if Raonic beats Nalbandian. I think Del Potro have a great chance of making the semis here as Tsonga isn't great on clay anyway and hasn't been playing well recently.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 11:49 PM »

Thanks Aileen - looks like a potentially tough first match for Federer if Raonic beats Nalbandian. I think Del Potro have a great chance of making the semis here as Tsonga isn't great on clay anyway and hasn't been playing well recently.

Whoever wins the Raonic v Nalbandian match will give Federer a good workout and let us see how he's looking on clay. If we're very lucky Raonic will go through against Nalby and play a shocker against Federer and put him out pray
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 11:58 PM »

^Yeah baby!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:28 AM »

^ The very thought of that gives me a warm glow!

I think Del Potro have a great chance of making the semis here as Tsonga isn't great on clay anyway and hasn't been playing well recently.
I hope so.  I've been watching him play in Estoril and he's looking a lot more comfortable on clay.

In general though it'll be interesting to see how the players cope with the blue clay, which, according to Nadal is "soft and slippery".  Also he's complaining, quite rightly, about the advertising boards round the court being a distraction because they're the same colour as the clay.  You'd have the organisers might just have noticed that fact!

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:50 AM »

Also he's complaining, quite rightly, about the advertising boards round the court being a distraction because they're the same colour as the clay.  You'd have the organisers might just have noticed that fact!

And what about Raonic wearing a top the same colour as the balls in Barcelona? Must have been distracting - was that fair? (Just joking - sort of)

Whoever wins the Raonic v Nalbandian match will give Federer a good workout and let us see how he's looking on clay. If we're very lucky Raonic will go through against Nalby and play a shocker against Federer and put him out pray

Yes please!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:07 AM »

And what about Raonic wearing a top the same colour as the balls in Barcelona? Must have been distracting - was that fair? (Just joking - sort of)
Never thought about that, but it's a good point.  I wonder if any of the players will be allowed to wear blue tops here?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 08:36 AM »

That would be a good result! Good for Milos and also for Ferrer's chances of getting further than the QF. Smile

Never thought about that, but it's a good point.  I wonder if any of the players will be allowed to wear blue tops here?

Federer's clay outfit seems to be the same colour as the courts - but I suppose players wear the same colour as the courts on hard courts from time to time too. I just hope that the courts are safe and there are no more injuries.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:38 PM »

Tweet from Sergiy Stakhovsky ‏ @Stako_tennis

"After playing a match on blueclay court 6 I can say with full responsibility on my shoulders that it is the worst court of @ATPWorldTour".

He did win.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 01:00 PM »

Tweet from Sergiy Stakhovsky ‏ @Stako_tennis

"After playing a match on blueclay court 6 I can say with full responsibility on my shoulders that it is the worst court of @ATPWorldTour".

He did win.

That definitely doesn't sound good! You'd think that with all the money the Madrid tournament has, they'd focus more on making the court conditions acceptable for the players and less on gimmicks like blue clay...
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:32 PM »

Sounds like Andy is well out of it, though as I've said on another thread I don't believe for a moment he is faking injury to avoid playing on it. 
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 02:43 PM »

Sounds like Andy is well out of it, though as I've said on another thread I don't believe for a moment he is faking injury to avoid playing on it. 

I dont beleive hes faking injury either Ruthie but I do think the issues with the blue clay may have made the decision easier.

Lets all get behind Milos (just for the one match of course) to take out the Fed if they do play. Positive vibs!!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 07:33 PM »

More from Stakhovsky:
"you have to much blue clay on some parts of court..imagine having small dunes on court..the ball is just rolling on the ground".

Then after his win today:
"Hard day in the office...glad to be through!Court 4 is better but still not much in common with CLAY!"
"Taking my BCSM(blue clay smurf magic) tmrw against R.Harrison...somebody have a smurf hat to borough??"
"I would say that last year it was fast&slippery,this year its unpredictable bounce+ fast&slippery".

It does all sound a bit odd. Stakhovsky spoke out about prize money, and now this - have other players commented now the tournament has started?

I gather Djoko cancelled his press conference feeling unwell - but probably isn't playing till Tues/Weds anyway.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 04:29 AM »

^^ Interesting about Djoko ... Think

Haven't come across comments by any others who have played, but Federer apparently isn't worried about the surface, at least not yet -

Federer has no fear of Big Blue in Madrid

MADRID — Blue clay courts at the Madrid Masters hold no fears for former champion Roger Federer, with the confident Swiss insisting on Sunday that he will be ready for any conditions when he begins play in the second round.

Federer, the third seed and 2009 champion, who beat Rafael Nadal to lift that title, has had two days of training on the experimental -- and controversial -- blue courts laid down at the Caja Magica.

Game day and practice sessions are two completely different situations, but the Swiss is not worried about what he might find in the heat of battle on the unorthodox surface.

"I've played on it for two days, but not on centre court," said Federer, back on the ATP Tour after more than five weeks of holiday rest and training.

"It feels a bit different than regular clay. Maybe it's the visual aspect. It's been cool and rainy so far here. It will be interesting to see how it is in hot and nice weather.

"There is still some waiting to do and matches are quite a bit different than practices. I have to wait for my match to come around to give a proper opinion."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j-V-Xg_VWpObH8TUQsc5-YwDO84Q?docId=CNG.96c23b7cb0ccfca98f279ebc9a06febf.5a1
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Madrid MS 2012 - Other Players « Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Since coverage doesn't start until 11 pm for me, I won't be stopping up to watch. I only do that for 1 player ATM. Just having a look at the Youzhny match now, and the court is very easy on the eye and I can see the ball. It's the players that will have the final say on how it is to play on. They (comms) saying that blue clay doesn't leave as an accurate mark for deciding whether the ball is in or out and perhaps having hawkeye as backup. Think
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »