Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Milos Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Milos Raonic

(Read 4863 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #195 on: May 08, 2012, 03:53 PM »

Milos had better bring it to Fed.. can't stand the thought of him beating Andy then losing to Fed.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #196 on: May 08, 2012, 11:06 PM »

Milos has been accused of being a one-dimensional player... a serve-bot... boring... all serve and no play.
I say Milos has a to-die-for serve, is aggressive in going for his shots in stressful moments, keeps his cool head, is extremely fit, young, and has much room for improvement.
My fantasy question is this:
What if, right now, Andy started playing like Milos?
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #197 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05 AM »

Raonic is very reminiscent of Sampras, he's also young and will probably develop more width to his game as he learns, but having that natural ability and power is great as well. Wouldn't want everyone playing like him but it's interesting to watch now and again.
IP Logged
RositaK
Junior

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #198 on: May 09, 2012, 03:02 AM »

It's funny coz I HATED Sampras but as Milos is a Canuck I always root for him. He had some amazing shots today, and he won 100% of his first serves. Such improvement this year. I'm quite amazed.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #199 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33 PM »

Milos stretched Fed to the limit.. but Fed prevailed in the tie-break.
He's gaining the respect of commies, the crowds who paid their tickets, and I think his peers.
He's sure got mine!
IP Logged
RositaK
Junior

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #200 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39 PM »

Me too. He did WAY better than I expected. And he's coming closer to beating Federer.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #201 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55 PM »

Watched Milos today and the promise is clearly there. He could be a scary force in the months and years ahead but again his backhand needs to improve drastically.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #202 on: May 09, 2012, 11:59 PM »

What a pity Milos held back a little on his 1st serve in the TB.  He did the same against Andy, who should have taken advantage of it but didn't.  Federer did.  Milos needs to have the courage to try to keep his "bullets" going in this situation instead of erring on the side of caution, but hopefully that will come with experience.
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #203 on: May 10, 2012, 12:01 AM »

Also I peg him as a streaky kind of player. Will play excellently for a 2 or 3 tournament stretch then will fade for a month or two to bounce back again.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #204 on: May 10, 2012, 12:07 AM »

Such possibilities for Milos... still an open book.
IP Logged
RositaK
Junior

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #205 on: May 10, 2012, 12:30 AM »

Hope he doesn't get one of the top five in the second round next week in Rome.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #206 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32 AM »

Still don't see what it is about his game that others find so boring, other than that his serve is so good that he wins a lot of points off it?

Bit silly to accuse someone for being too good.

He hits big, he serves big, but he looks to create angles and is aggressive. Sampras was boring because almost every point ended within about 5 shots and normally with Sampras at the net. Milos isn't like that at all, he tries to dominate the rallies with his huge forehand and great angles.

I like him. And I think he will go far. But I still think some of the hype is a bit over-the-top. If he can maintain these sort of performances over the next few months and in the Slams, then fair enough. But this year so far he's only beaten Murray of any note (on his least favourite surface) and lose to bleeding Hewitt in the Australian Open. He's got the ability but he's got a long way to go yet before he's beating the likes of Murray, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Tsonga, Berdych, Ferrer or Del Potro over five sets, over three matches.

He'll be top 10 before the year is out, injury-permitting. Of that I have no doubt. He'll probably have had a few scalps over those I have mentioned above. But I doubt he'll get to a Slam final, bad enough winning one.

Who knows. He's made big steps over the past two years. But he's still far from Grand Slam material.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #207 on: May 10, 2012, 12:50 AM »

Thank you MH... a very fair post, and I concur with your views.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #208 on: May 10, 2012, 12:52 AM »

^^ Good points MH, but Milos is only 21.  There was an awful lot of hype about Andy when he was that age (and younger).  Canada's like Britain, they don't pull top players out of a hat, but at least they give theirs a lot more support!

I think Milos has one really big thing going for him, apart from his serve, and that's his mental attitude.  He has the belief and the determination to win a Slam.  He's confident in his own abilities but is well aware that he has a way to go before he can do this, and is prepared to put in a lot of hard work to achieve his ultimate goal.  Also his cool-headedness on court is going to stand him in good stead.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #209 on: May 10, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Babyface moves a heck of a lot better than Delboy, that's for sure.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »