Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Milos Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Milos Raonic  (Read 4340 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #210 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23 AM »

I was really impressed with Milos yesterday - he did better than Fed in nearly all the stats and was unlucky not to win in the end. With experience he'll start winning those sorts of matches.

I agree MH about some of the hype. Commentators seem to love putting young players forward as future slam winners. It's simply too early to say right now whether he will. He might or he might not, best to just wait and see and not put unnecessary pressure on him to deliver.                         

I love his mental attitude and focus on court, very good attributes for a player so young. When his serve is working he's basically unplayable - Federer was only able to get into the match yesterday when he started missing first serves.
IP Logged
RositaK
Junior

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #211 on: May 10, 2012, 02:01 PM »

Good posts peeps! I don't see him winning a GS anytime soon but he has the potential I think. As long as he doesn't get injured. But he could go the way of Cilic and others like him. We'll see. One thing is for sure he has great determination and focus and keeps a cool head.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #212 on: May 10, 2012, 07:25 PM »

That said, there really is no lid on his potential. With his serve and his forehand he could all the way (and by that I mean Grand Slams, #1). You would imagine he'll get more consistent as he gets older, more experienced, more mature. With a serve like that he could become almost unbeatable behind it on his day. Obviously that is where the comparison with Sampras comes in (and the only comparison, as far as I can see).

But yes, as ever, and like with any young player in sport, it is just impossible to predict where he will end up. He could go the way of a Cilic, bursting on to the scene and then falling away; a Del Potro, be up there with the best then suffer with an injury/injuries; a one-time wonder, a Murray (nearly-man), or he could become one of the best. But the main thing is that the ingredients are there.

I do think however that as he does get more experienced, people will learn to deal with his serve a bit more like they have with Roddick. I think once Andy beats him for the first time he'll not lose again, or not often at least. But even then, on his day, he would still be unbeatable.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #213 on: May 10, 2012, 08:18 PM »

I just can't see past those HUGE nostrils to take him serious.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #214 on: May 11, 2012, 07:12 AM »

Ooh dear robbie, you must be quite short to have that view... Whistle
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Milos Raonic « Reply #215 on: May 11, 2012, 09:09 AM »

I think that once the top players get used to his serve and style of play, like others before him when they first burst upon the scene they don't tend to beat the top players that often eg the dog, Cilic, del Po. Federer and Ferrer had both played Milos before and were able to read his game and thus able to beat him and as we saw in Andy's second set he was beginning to read his game.
Andy made a very wise choice withdrawing from Madrid, he really could have done more damage to his injury on this surface. I don't think they will have it next year.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »