Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Money for old rope? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Money for old rope?

(Read 414 times)
clementine
Satellite Level

Money for old rope? « on: May 06, 2011, 05:27 PM »

It's that time of year again, the clay court tennis season is in full swing and the King of Clay is once again laughing all the way to the bank.  Whoever Nadal's bank manager is, he must be laughing his head off as one fat pay cheque after another is paid into his client's account.  Aside from the rich financial pickings, the thousands of points available on the dirt add up to a very nice little earner indeed where rankings are concerned.  Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid and Rome are perfect killing fields for Nadal as he majestically picks off his lesser opponents day in, day out, in preparation for the big one, the French Open.  The King is celebrated everywhere he goes and his domination on the surface is always displayed on the show courts, at the best times, for the highest paying spectators and global tv audiences who look on as he routinely despatches his lesser mortals.  Very occasionally, Nadal is stretched and made to play some fabulous tennis but too often his matches are way too one-sided to be of any real interest, more like exhibitions than matches.  Zzzzzzzzzz...  For a guy with his talent, it really is money for old rope and no one can blame him for taking advantage.

But why are there so many clay tournaments and so few on grass?  Nadal at his imperious best can reckon on 3000 points from the three Masters Series at Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome, as well as 500 in Barcelona, plus of course the 2000 up for grabs at Roland Garros, making a stonking total of 5,500 points.  The grass 'season' hardly gets a look-in by comparison, with no Masters Series being played on grass and a measly 2500 points all-told for Queen's and Wimbledon together.  Nadal is king on clay and the boy can also play on grass, but the difference is that on grass we get real matches throughout the tournaments, with more players able to compete at a higher level than the band of Spanish brothers who currently dictate on clay.  Grass brings out artistry, variety and skills rarely seen on the dirt, and a first round match at Wimbledon can be just as entertaining, if not more so, than the final.  The players have to prepare themselves for the world's biggest, most prestigous tournament in double-quick time, making dramatic adjustments in their transition from clay to grass, having played on the former for two months they have little more than a week or so to produce their best grass tennis for Wimbledon fortnight.

No wonder there is not a seat to be had at Queen's and Wimbledon - spectators queuing for the privilege of seeing the world's best players on the world's best surface - unlike some of the pitifully empty arenas we see around the world - the so-called Magic Box in Madrid this week has been poorly attended, especially the very depressing almost-empty Arancha Sanchez court next door to the show court reserved for Rafa and the A-team (our Andy only played on it because Potroast defaulted).  Surely it is time for the ATP to look again at the tennis calendar and let's hope they shorten the clay season in favour of more grass tournaments.  Of course they may decide to do the opposite, as they did with Madrid, like we needed a hard court Masters to become yet another clay tournament. Not.    
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Money for old rope? « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:36 PM »

I just read the autobiography of Chris Gorringe, who was Secretary of the All-England Club for many years - they called him Clockwork Gorringe. He says it would be a logistical nightmare to move the dates of Roland Garros. The two weeks of Wimbledon are also statistically the best two weeks of possible weather in Britain. He calculated that if you moved it one week back, we'd lose another 40-odd days to rain over a ten-year period.

On another note, about artistry on grass and so on. I've been having a think. It's always been the consensus among my tennis buddies that clay is the ultimate test as it offers no hiding place and all your shots are on display. But now I'm not so sure. Watching some of the guys this clay court season, like Bellucci, it seems to me that, if the courts are slow enough, you've got time to run around a weakness, be it backhand or forehand.

Grass - or at least today's version of it - is certainly more entertaining than clay.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Money for old rope? « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:39 PM »

Great post Clementine! Why can't we have more tournaments here? I'm always sad when Wimbledon's over for another year! It's great to watch without having to rely on some dodgy livestream too!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Money for old rope? « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 05:41 PM »

Yes Nigel and it doesn't mucky up your socks either! w00t
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Money for old rope? « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 05:42 PM »

I'm always sad when Wimbledon's over for another year!

I wish it could always be Wimbledon. The summer seems to die with the end of the tournament.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Money for old rope? « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 05:43 PM »

It's that time of year again, the clay court tennis season is in full swing and the King of Clay is once again laughing all the way to the bank.     

Not a Nadal fan then ... lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Money for old rope? « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:58 AM »

It's that time of year again, the clay court tennis season is in full swing and the King of Clay is once again laughing all the way to the bank.  Whoever Nadal's bank manager is, he must be laughing his head off as one fat pay cheque after another is paid into his client's account.  Aside from the rich financial pickings, the thousands of points available on the dirt add up to a very nice little earner indeed where rankings are concerned.  Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid and Rome are perfect killing fields for Nadal as he majestically picks off his lesser opponents day in, day out, in preparation for the big one, the French Open.  The King is celebrated everywhere he goes and his domination on the surface is always displayed on the show courts, at the best times, for the highest paying spectators and global tv audiences who look on as he routinely despatches his lesser mortals.  Very occasionally, Nadal is stretched and made to play some fabulous tennis but too often his matches are way too one-sided to be of any real interest, more like exhibitions than matches.  Zzzzzzzzzz...
You've a lot to say about a player you obviously find so boring. Smile

Nadal is king on clay and the boy can also play on grass, but the difference is that on grass we get real matches throughout the tournaments,  
Nadal will be 25 come Wimbledon ... and I'm not quite sure what you mean about 'real matches'.  Nadal can still swat his opponents aside on grass.  

I wish it could always be Wimbledon. The summer seems to die with the end of the tournament.
Know what you mean - and it does seem a long time before the North American hard-court season starts, mainly because so many players take a proper break after the combined hard slogs of RG and Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »