Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WHO HAS BEEN THE MOST OUTSTANDING MEN's SINGLES  PLAYER OF 2008 ?
Novak Djokovic - 1 (2.7%)
J.M. Del Potro - 1 (2.7%)
Roger Federer - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 9 (24.3%)
Rafael Nadal - 26 (70.3%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008

(Read 1085 times)
FELIX
Junior

MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « on: October 25, 2008, 01:11 PM »

Given the various discussions and speculation about Andy's current status (official rankings aside) in World Tennis, I thought it might be an interesting venture to find out who Murraysworld.com members would actually choose as their  'PLAYER OF THE YEAR FOR 2008'

I thought, at first, a general discussion Topic rather than a Poll would allow Forum members greater freedom in expressing their choice of player ; but, on second thoughts decided that such a course would be 'messy' and inconclusive.  Therefore, creating a Poll will allow members  not only to discuss their choice as PLAYER OF THE YEAR but also to record their selection in the options table above.

I hope members will concur with my choice of  'named' candidates (although I have added an 'other' box to the options) as, in my opinion, it would be very difficult to find a player outside the 'Top Four',  apart perhaps from Del potro, who could reasonably be considered for such an accolade.

Andy, for me, has had a great year and he's given all his fans a great deal of pleasure and excitement right from the start of the season in Doha.  He will always be my favourite player of any year for as long as he's playing tennis  - and I hope that's for a very long time to come.

However, the player of the year for me for 2008 has to be 'Rafa'. The two 'SLAMS' at RG and Wimbledon not to mention the Olympics ;Taking Federer's Number One ranking was another massive achievement - not many people thougt that was possible this year.  Then ther was those  other Tournament wins (eg Queens), Finals and Semi-Finals  that had us  all gasping in admiration. So even with Paris and the Masters Cup still to come I don't think any of the Top Four can get near  to surpassng  Rafa's achievements in 2008.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:23 PM »

The problem with this is you put Andy Murray in the poll... this will not be interesting at all having him in the poll on a Andy Murray fan site.

Maybe it should be the player of the year excluding Murray Smile
IP Logged
TCK
Challenger Level

A Miserable Little Pile Of BULL ****!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 01:33 PM »

You say that, but so far it's a Nadal landslide.  Lord knows I just voted for him.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 01:36 PM »

Well even as a Murray fan I was objective enough to recognise than Nadal had a bigger year than Andy did. Breaking the RG only streak, winning Wimbledon, finally taking the no 1 ranking. He was practically unbeatable for such a huge chunk of the season.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 01:37 PM »

You say that, but so far it's a Nadal landslide.  Lord knows I just voted for him.

Indeed, I take back what I said.

I also voted Nadal btw.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 01:39 PM »

The ridiculousness of the whole thing just hit me. A Murray fansite that votes Nadal as their player of the year! lol
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 01:40 PM »

It just shows that we deserve our reputation of being some of the most objective fans around Smile
IP Logged
Torin
Futures Level

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 02:05 PM »

It just shows that we deserve our reputation of being some of the most objective fans around Smile

You say that... but your website would have to be called ihaterafanadal.com to expect any different.

As good as Andy's been over the last 3 months, there's no way he's been a better player than Nadal over the whole year. It's simply not true, and I'm actually surprised someone voted against Rafa.

A poll of who's been the second best player of the year on a neutral website would be really interesting... in my view Nole, Fed and Andy are really close on that.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 02:11 PM »

I agree, your poll idea would be much more interesting.
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 02:11 PM »

Who voted for Nole?!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 02:13 PM »

Who voted for Nole?!

Probably a Nadal hater, we have a couple of those lol
IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 02:14 PM »

But Nole!?
IP Logged
Torin
Futures Level

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 02:21 PM »

But Nole!?

He's probably the second best in the world this year - clear best in the first 3 months, first slam, 2 MS.

Fed's got 1 slam and 0 MS, Andy's got 0 slams and 2 MS.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 04:13 PM »

The ridiculousness of the whole thing just hit me. A Murray fansite that votes Nadal as their player of the year! lol

Well the truth shall out itself!  Andy is having a great run and would be my player at the moment, but for the season, it has to be Nadal!
IP Logged
Scottie
World No 1

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 09:59 PM »

You say that... but your website would have to be called ihaterafanadal.com to expect any different.

We did consider changing the name to that at one point I believe!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »