Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WHO HAS BEEN THE MOST OUTSTANDING MEN's SINGLES  PLAYER OF 2008 ?
Novak Djokovic - 1 (2.7%)
J.M. Del Potro - 1 (2.7%)
Roger Federer - 0 (0%)
Andy Murray - 9 (24.3%)
Rafael Nadal - 26 (70.3%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008

(Read 1108 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 10:27 PM »

Someone voted for Fakervic? Lol!

I have to give the nod to Nadal - just. For someone who's been written off as a mug on any surface that isn't red and crumbly, he's done mighty well. Winning Wimbledon was special, but he's not really kicked on in the HC season. His defeat by Simon in the Madrid masters was disappointing and epitomised exactly what his detractors have always said about his hardcourt game: tactically naive brainless ball bashing. I'm going to chalk that down as an aberration caused by injury.

Djokovic: won his first Slam and... well, nothing really. Might well have established himself as the most hated player on tour after his off court antics at the US Open and his dubious injury timeouts. An extremely talented player, but needs to get his head in order and do something about his forehand, which is liable to implode when under pressure (and maybe learn how to volley). Needs to learn some humility as well.

Del Potro: fair play to him for breaking into the top ten. Can't imagine him being a permanent fixture, especially when he actually competes at more mandatory events with proper opposition. Ball basher in the extreme. Also, cries too much.

Federer: Sill struggling. Half a step slower than he was last year and has lost his aura of invincibility. Most competitors will now fancy their chances, though he usually finds a way through. His US Open final performance was absolutely stunning and a flashback to the Fed of 2006.

Andy: Absolutely stunning performance since Wimbledon. The player to beat on hard court, possessing a pleasing level of maturity and a serve which has developed into a real weapon. Stepped up his level of agression and broken two notable ducks in the form of Djokovic and Nadal and making Federer his bunny. Needs to put in a decent clay season performance before he can be considered "Player of the Year", though it's pretty close. World #3 in the waiting.
IP Logged
Torin
Futures Level

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #16 on: October 25, 2008, 11:32 PM »

Sorry Boogers, but I have to debate the 'Andy needs to put in a decent clay court season to be considered POTY, though it's pretty close' point. Let's compare Murray's to Nadal's season excluding clay:

Nadal:
Slams: W, 2SFs
Masters: W, F, 3SFs
Olympics: W

Murray:
Slams: F, QF, R128
Masters: 2Ws, SF, R16, R64
Olympics: R64

Sorry, but that's not even close. Even if there were no such thing as a clay court, Nadal would still have been head and shoulders above everyone else this year.

Also, making Federer his bunny? Did you see the US Open final?  confused  That said, I do expect Andy to maintain a winning record against him going forward.
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 01:30 AM »

Anyone who doesn't pick Nadal knows nothing about Tennis.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 09:16 AM »

Sorry, but that's not even close. Even if there were no such thing as a clay court, Nadal would still have been head and shoulders above everyone else this year.

Ah, how important little words can be! "...before he can be considered..." should be "...before he can be considered for...", which don't mean the same thing at all.

Also, making Federer his bunny? Did you see the US Open final?  confused  That said, I do expect Andy to maintain a winning record against him going forward.

Of course. However the H2H this year is now 2:1 to Murray.
IP Logged
FELIX
Junior

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 11:01 AM »

I agree, your poll idea would be much more interesting.

A poll without Andy (in this Forum at least) Interesting  ?   nah And a poll without  Nadal on another (neutral)  tennis fansite ????  Unthinkabe !

The very reason I included Andy in this poll  (and on a "neutral" thread) was for the added interest he would bring to both the voting
and the various comparisons raised between  him and the other candidates   argue     Bit of a reality check as well   Think

All  just a bit of indulgent fun really  Smile
[ Last edit by FELIX October 26, 2008, 11:13 AM ] IP Logged
ljsmall
Veteran

It's a Murray Duck!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 03:38 PM »

Who voted Fed? We're talking this year not all time! On what stretch of the imagination is Fed player of the year?
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 04:34 PM »

OMG, own up... who's the idiot that voted Federer? roflmao
IP Logged
Torin
Futures Level

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 04:44 PM »

Ah, how important little words can be! "...before he can be considered..." should be "...before he can be considered for...", which don't mean the same thing at all.

Okay... in that case then I agree.

Of course. However the H2H this year is now 2:1 to Murray.

2-1 hardly constitutes making someone your bunny, especially when the sets tally is 4-5 against you. In fact, it's the same record as Dominic Hrbaty has against Federer (granted one of those wins was in 2000).

But I realise this is a bit of a side issue, and you were merely expressing your pleasure that Andy has a winning record against one of the greatest players ever. Which is fine and dandy.
IP Logged
TCK
Challenger Level

A Miserable Little Pile Of BULL ****!

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 04:52 PM »

At first I wondered why the option was even there, but on reflection Federer has had a pretty impressive season if you bring the mono into account.  Of course, that may require someone to suspend belief.
IP Logged
FELIX
Junior

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 06:52 PM »

Well, there has been a  rumour doing the rounds since Madrid that Roger became a member (incognito of course) of an Andy Murray fansite    

Surely, though,  he would'nt vote for himself ?   secret service agent
IP Logged
Coldmarek
Top Seed

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 06:38 AM »

rofl Nadal
IP Logged
gjr
Challenger Level

There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 08:51 AM »

You only have to look at the rankings and what people have won to decide the winner and almost the order.

Nadal. 2 slams, 2 slam SF's and 3 masters
Federer. 1 slam, 2 slam finals, 1 SF and 0 masters.
Djokovic. 1 slam, 2 SF's and 2 masters.
Murray. 0 slams, 1 slam final, 0 slam semi's and 2 masters.

There's still a masters and the TMC to go.

The only thing you can ask is so far, is 2 losing slam finals better than winning 2 masters? I am not in a position to judge but one has 2 trophies at home and the other has 2 plates Smile
IP Logged
Neil
John McEnroe

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 03:33 PM »

Slam Final is better because it's 1) a massive draw (and 6 wins needed to get there) and 2) worth more points (700 -> 500)
IP Logged
Marc
ATP Level

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 04:21 PM »

Nadal is the player of the year
IP Logged
Torin
Futures Level

Re: MURRAYSWORLD.com PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2008 « Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 11:03 PM »

You only have to look at the rankings and what people have won to decide the winner and almost the order.

Nadal. 2 slams, 2 slam SF's and 3 masters
Federer. 1 slam, 2 slam finals, 1 SF and 0 masters.
Djokovic. 1 slam, 2 SF's and 2 masters.
Murray. 0 slams, 1 slam final, 0 slam semi's and 2 masters.

There's still a masters and the TMC to go.

The only thing you can ask is so far, is 2 losing slam finals better than winning 2 masters? I am not in a position to judge but one has 2 trophies at home and the other has 2 plates Smile

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but you also have to look at who they played, and in that sense neither is particularly strong.

Both of Federer's losing slam finals came without playing a top 20 player, and the semi came without facing a top 10 player.

Nole actually won the Rome Masters with one bye, two retirements, and three victories, with none of those players being in the top 20.

I know you can only beat who's put in front of you and all that, but any half decent player would fancy their chances of picking up silverware with that level of opposition.

In fact, prior to the US Open and ignoring retirements, Federer had a 1-7 win-loss ratio against top 10 opposition this year. He's still only 5-8. Djokovic is better but still not great at 7-8. Andy's a comparatively healthy 9-6.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's something else to consider...

(As an aside, Ferrer still hasn't beaten a top 10 player in a ranking event in 2008 but is ranked 5 in the world, which I find a pretty amazing stat)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »