Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Down Reply
Author

Novak Djokovic

(Read 14656 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #255 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57 AM »

Djokovic is so dedicated to his diet that when he craved chocolate after his win, he ate only one square and left the rest.

The world's number one tennis player this month released a book in which he thoroughly details the extreme sacrifices he makes in pursuit of physical excellence.

Djokovic's diet:

Day One

Breakfast: Water first thing out of bed; two tablespoons of honey; muesli (including organic gluten-free rolled oats, cranberries, raisins, pumpkin or sunflower seeds and almonds)

Mid-morning snack (if needed): Gluten-free bread or crackers with avocado and tuna

Lunch: Mixed-greens salad, gluten-free pasta primavera (including rice pasta, summer squash, courgettes, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes and optional vegan cheese)

Mid-afternoon snack: Apple with cashew butter; melon

Dinner: Kale caesar salad (kale, fennel, quinoa and pine nuts) plus dressing (including anchovies or sardines); minestrone soup; salmon fillets (skin on) with roasted tomatoes and marinade

Day Two

Breakfast: Water first thing out of bed; two tablespoons of honey; banana with cashew butter; fruit

Mid-morning snack (if needed): Gluten-free toast with almond butter and honey

Lunch: Mixed-greens salad, spicy soba noodle salad (including gluten-free soba noodles, red bell pepper, rocket, cashews and basil leaves, plus spicy vinaigrette)

Mid-afternoon snack: Fruit and nut bar; fruit

Dinner: Tuna niçoise salad (green beans, cannellini beans, rocket, tuna, red pepper, tomatoes and canned chickpeas), tomato soup, roasted tomatoes

Day three

Breakfast: Water first thing out of bed; two tablespoons of honey; gluten-free oats with cashew butter and bananas; fruit

Mid-morning snack (if needed): Home-made hummus (including chickpeas and gluten-free soy sauce) with apples/crudités

Lunch: Mixed-greens salad, gluten-free pasta with power pesto (including rice pasta, walnuts and basil leaves)

Mid-afternoon snack: Avocado with gluten-free crackers; fruit

Dinner: Fresh mixed-greens salad with avocado and homemade dressing; carrot and ginger soup; whole lemon-roasted chicken

That sounds really healthy and tasty!  However if people want to follow it, and don't suffer from gluten intolerance, then they should just use ordinary bread, crackers, pasta, noodles and cereals because their bodies are programmed to deal with gluten.  Andy tried it for a couple of months and said it made him feel awful.

If anyone thinks they might have gluten intolerance, then a very simple test can be done by their GP.  My GP is a huge tennis fan, and when it came out about Djoko's problem, I think he was testing most of his patients for it, myself included!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #256 on: August 28, 2013, 12:11 PM »

the odd thing is that I'm sure I recall Andy saying at the time that he felt much better on that diet - more alert especially in the morning, lighter etc.  But perhaps it was just a short term effect.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #257 on: August 28, 2013, 12:57 PM »

Aileen thanks for all of your knowledgable posts on GI and celiac disease. You make fair points throughout the discussion re: special diets.  clap
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #258 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55 PM »

the odd thing is that I'm sure I recall Andy saying at the time that he felt much better on that diet - more alert especially in the morning, lighter etc.  But perhaps it was just a short term effect.
Yes Ruthie, but after a while, he said it made him feel weak!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #259 on: August 28, 2013, 02:35 PM »

yes I read what he'd said recently Caz but it just seemed to be at odds with what he was saying at the time.  I guess after a while he realised it wasn't for him after all.  I assume a gluten free diet is only suitable for those with a gluten intolerance.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #260 on: August 28, 2013, 06:32 PM »

Aileen thanks for all of your knowledgable posts on GI and celiac disease. You make fair points throughout the discussion re: special diets.  clap
Thank you janetx.  I had a friend once who suffered from coeliac disease and picked up a bit of information from her.  The rest was just doing research on the internet.

yes I read what he'd said recently Caz but it just seemed to be at odds with what he was saying at the time.  I guess after a while he realised it wasn't for him after all.  I assume a gluten free diet is only suitable for those with a gluten intolerance.
Andy is very aware of his body, so might notice it more than most.  I guess the only real way to find out is to try avoiding foods containing gluten for a while, although the point I was trying to get across is that people shouldn't start making radical changes to their diet without checking with their GP first.  For one thing gluten-free foods contain less fibre than non-gluten free, which is why Djokovic's diet probably contains quite a lot of veg and fruit.

Another thing to consider is that gluten-free foods are more expensive, so if you don't need them, why pay for them?  Also these foods have less taste - something I can vouch for having tried gluten-free products myself out of curiosity.
[ Last edit by Aileen August 28, 2013, 06:36 PM ] IP Logged
warehouse

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #261 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29 PM »

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #262 on: August 30, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Why have we Nole on here? You're fooling nobody even though you've changed your name and we now have Nole instead of Fed. As to the diet making a champion I think that is a laugh.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #263 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03 PM »

Why have we Nole on here? You're fooling nobody even though you've changed your name and we now have Nole instead of Fed. As to the diet making a champion I think that is a laugh.

This is the Novak Djokovic thread, and he can post what he likes. Leave him be.
IP Logged
warehouse

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #264 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38 AM »

IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #265 on: September 05, 2013, 07:21 AM »

I just hope that all this about his diet doesn't encourage too many budding sportsmen to try it as it will only suit those who have a gluten problem.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #266 on: September 05, 2013, 08:19 AM »

I just hope that all this about his diet doesn't encourage too many budding sportsmen to try it as it will only suit those who have a gluten problem.

I went on a gluten free diet, to try and improve my health after a long bout of illness. It helped me mainly,  I think because it improved my diet - removed most of the rubbish from it. I am not gluten intollerant , which could explain why I didn't suddenly develop superpowers.  Whatever else has made Djokovic number 1 I don't think removing gluten from his diet is the sole reason. I don't believe in homeopathy either.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #267 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20 AM »

A gluten free diet alone wouldn't have brought the change in Nole's energy etc. Have a number of friends who are on it and they haven't got such a change of energy. Spoke to a Consultant who deals with patients who have a gluten intolerance and he laughed at the notion that a gluten free diet would have made such a difference.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #268 on: September 05, 2013, 08:23 AM »

Gluten free mainly helped with Nole's asthma,.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #269 on: September 06, 2013, 11:16 PM »

Just figured out who he has always reminded me of:

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »