Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Novak Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 29 Go Down Reply
Author

Novak Djokovic

(Read 14411 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #225 on: July 23, 2013, 07:11 PM »

OK - mixed nationality then.  Also his mother may be white but white South Africans have problems of their own - remember Apartheid?
Thought it was black South Africans who had problems under Apartheid Aileen or am I misunderstanding you?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #226 on: July 23, 2013, 07:21 PM »

Thought it was black South Africans who had problems under Apartheid Aileen or am I misunderstanding you?
It was the white ones who created those problems, and in my book any human beings who consider themselves superior to others because of the colour of their skin, or for religious or any other reasons, are the ones with the real problems.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #227 on: July 23, 2013, 07:22 PM »

ah I was misunderstanding you Aileen
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #228 on: July 23, 2013, 07:23 PM »

No worries Ruthie. hug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #229 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37 PM »

No worries Ruthie. hug
so easy to misinterpret on line Aileen hug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #230 on: July 23, 2013, 09:22 PM »

so easy to misinterpret on line Aileen hug
I know.  I've done it myself a few times.

Dreadful weather here.  We're on our 3rd thunderstorm of the day and and it doesn't like ending any time soon.  It's only 9 pm and it's nearly pitch black outside.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #231 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57 PM »

Goodbye, bread: Novak Djokovic wants to tell you what to eat

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/22/goodbye-bread-novak-djokovic-wants-to-tell-you-what-to-eat/

NEW YORK — Novak Djokovic attributes his success in recent years to a change of diet. Now he’ll be sharing his nutrition tips in a book to be released before the U.S. Open.

“Serve to Win” is the title of Djokovic’s “nutrition-based performance guide” that is to be published next month.

The top-ranked Serbian has won six of his seven Grand Slam tournament championships since adopting a “performance-focused” gluten-free diet in late 2010. In 2011, he took the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. He has since won two more Australian Opens, along with the 2012 French Open.

Djokovic says that discovering the right diet for him has made “all the difference,” on and off the court.

-------------------
Hmm spot the error.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #232 on: July 24, 2013, 12:15 AM »

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/22/goodbye-bread-novak-djokovic-wants-to-tell-you-what-to-eat/

NEW YORK — Novak Djokovic attributes his success in recent years to a change of diet. Now he’ll be sharing his nutrition tips in a book to be released before the U.S. Open.

“Serve to Win” is the title of Djokovic’s “nutrition-based performance guide” that is to be published next month.

The top-ranked Serbian has won six of his seven Grand Slam tournament championships since adopting a “performance-focused” gluten-free diet in late 2010. In 2011, he took the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. He has since won two more Australian Opens, along with the 2012 French Open.

Djokovic says that discovering the right diet for him has made “all the difference,” on and off the court.

-------------------
Hmm spot the error.

Wow, as much as he'd have liked the French open title in 2012, i'm pretty sure Rafa would have something to say about it Smile

Anyway no thanks Novak, just because it works for you does not mean it works for everyone, Andy think it's rubbish and his fitness is hardly behind your levels, in fact i'd say he was fitter. I think the only people who should try gluten free diets are those people who are wheat/gluten intolerant, which i assume Novak is? I like my food too much to give up stuff like Pizza and cheese on toast mmmmmm cheese on toast
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #233 on: July 24, 2013, 02:44 AM »

^ Gnome - Novak was found to be gluten intolerant in, I think, 2010.  Before that he always seemed to be struggling with the health issues associated with this, mainly fatigue and stomach problems, plus probably headaches and poor concentration, so once he switched to gluten free food all this gradually stopped and a 'new healthier Novak' emerged.

Basically GI is a relatively mild form of coeliac disease, which is a condition that seriously damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing nutrients from food and passing them on through the blood-stream to the rest of the body.  Like all allergies it's caused by an over-reaction of our immune system to certain foods, in this case to eating those containing gluten, a protein which is found in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats.

Sufferers from full-blown coeliac disease can become very ill if they eat foods containing gluten, and can go on to develop quite serious health conditions, whereas with gluten intolerance the person usually just feels below par a lot of the time and can exhibit the symptoms stated above, which, although unpleasant, aren't a cause for major concern, but it obviously makes sense that they stop eating these foods.

Finally, I'm pretty sure Andy doesn't think Novak's diet is 'rubbish', given how much care he takes of his own body and is extremely fussy about what he puts in it, so he's bound to have had himself checked out for gluten intolerance, something which can be done with a simple blood test.  I've been tested for it, mainly I think because my GP is a big tennis fan and was probably offering it to all his patients when the cause of Novak's constant malaise became widely known!

[ Last edit by Aileen July 24, 2013, 03:00 AM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #234 on: July 24, 2013, 04:21 AM »

^ Gnome - Novak was found to be gluten intolerant in, I think, 2010.  Before that he always seemed to be struggling with the health issues associated with this, mainly fatigue and stomach problems, plus probably headaches and poor concentration, so once he switched to gluten free food all this gradually stopped and a 'new healthier Novak' emerged.

Basically GI is a relatively mild form of coeliac disease, which is a condition that seriously damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing nutrients from food and passing them on through the blood-stream to the rest of the body.  Like all allergies it's caused by an over-reaction of our immune system to certain foods, in this case to eating those containing gluten, a protein which is found in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats.

Sufferers from full-blown coeliac disease can become very ill if they eat foods containing gluten, and can go on to develop quite serious health conditions, whereas with gluten intolerance the person usually just feels below par a lot of the time and can exhibit the symptoms stated above, which, although unpleasant, aren't a cause for major concern, but it obviously makes sense that they stop eating these foods.

Finally, I'm pretty sure Andy doesn't think Novak's diet is 'rubbish', given how much care he takes of his own body and is extremely fussy about what he puts in it, so he's bound to have had himself checked out for gluten intolerance, something which can be done with a simple blood test.  I've been tested for it, mainly I think because my GP is a big tennis fan and was probably offering it to all his patients when the cause of Novak's constant malaise became widely known!

Maybe rubbish was an extreme word but

IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #235 on: July 24, 2013, 07:25 AM »

However although those suffering from an alergy to gluten will benefit from a free gluten free diet, it would not turn a person it to the super fit athlete that Novak now is. He is I fear doing more than that and I'm not sure it is legal. Having paid particular attention to him during the Wimbledon final, despite being moved from side to side and having to run and run during long rallies he didn't seem to be gasping from breath, yet Andy was and as we know he is super fit. Anybody whom has the dvd of the final watch Nole and see what you think.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #236 on: July 24, 2013, 08:27 AM »

I'd really find it hard to believe that Djoko is 'on' anything he shouldn't be Michelle! I don't know about the lower ranked players, but I thought the top players got tested a lot....especially during the majors! I know he has his 'pod' thing, but that's not illegal!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #237 on: July 24, 2013, 05:24 PM »

-------------------
Hmm spot the error.

I hate this sort of thing. I really, really hate it.

What gets me is Djokovic obviously thinks his diet works for him, which is fine. However, there is nothing to say that it would definitely work for someone else. There is also a point that for some people, mucking about with their diet could actually be dangerous. Someone with diabetes for example, as my mother was, needs a certain amount of carbohydrates, which includes bread. Cutting certain things out without seeing your doctor first isn't always the right thing to do.

I bet Nadal would have something to say about the French in 2012. I suspect 'FO' might be the term he'd use Whistle, but I doubt that came from Novak to be fair. I suspect someone got their facts wrong.
[ Last edit by teejay1 July 24, 2013, 05:31 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #238 on: July 24, 2013, 05:30 PM »

I'd really find it hard to believe that Djoko is 'on' anything he shouldn't be Michelle! I don't know about the lower ranked players, but I thought the top players got tested a lot....especially during the majors! I know he has his 'pod' thing, but that's not illegal!

Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I think they are all tested (urine samples I think) after every match, win or lose, in the majors. Is that right?

I don't know about the pod thing. Thanks to someone here, I did some reading about it. First and foremost, I don't think it's clear Novak is still using it. I think I might have read that he isn't. However, legal or not, it's a dodgy area. To my mind there is/was an issue of a possible unfair advantage.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Novak Djokovic « Reply #239 on: July 24, 2013, 05:33 PM »

Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I think they are all tested (urine samples I think) after every match, win or lose, in the majors. Is that right?

I don't know about the pod thing. Thanks to someone here, I did some reading about it. First and foremost, I don't think it's clear Novak is still using it. I think I might have read that he isn't. However, legal or not, it's a dodgy area. To my mind there is/was an issue of a possible unfair advantage.

Yes, that is correct.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 29 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »