Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Queens 2012 - The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Down Reply
Author

Queens 2012 - The Other Players

(Read 4324 times)
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #150 on: June 18, 2012, 02:31 PM »

Nalbandian showed himself to be a complete dick during and after the event. So perhaps the line judge, who witnessed no remose after the attack, called the police to give him some additional bad press. Fair enough I say.

You can't simply dismiss this as an accident from frustration, the guy was right in front of him. If I was the line judge, I would have felt some loss of dignity after being used as an object and then not receiving any remose. I'd be tempted to call the police too.

Did you watch any of the tennis though?

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #151 on: June 18, 2012, 02:53 PM »

I asked my mate Steve for his views on Fat Dave. I love his answer. He just sorted out British tennis. Response reprinted without (many) edits.

'Rules are rules & I did laugh.......but the Queens club is a dated non-event....in my world with me in charge of GB tennis it'd be closed down & sold off, (in fact the LTA have sold their space there I think).

None of the top players want to play. Why grass? No floodlights, or a split, say no day session and a night session. When the court is fresh (1st week or few days), the standard of tennis is very very poor, zero point construction, hence why the players don't play..unless appearance money is good (which it is)

And as for Dave Nal... I'm with him, the line judge was so close to play, he kicked at a board - so what? Did Novak not destroy a board on his chair at Roland Garros ? In the rain break they calmly carried it away & brought on a new one, no fine, no warning or point or game penalty...rules are rules, did the umpire at RG not notice?

Note that London, US open & Oz open use to be, note used to be, all on grass, now only London... develop a new artificial surface you can play on all the yr. round, day session, under lights etc. night session, forget the BBC, bring in Sky etc. & in comes billions of pounds (yes billions) in media & tv rights, loads of loads of money to invest in GB tennis.

But they don't do it, they being the upper class mob, keeping tennis to themselves. We play & we know what a great game it is - they're getting away with it in this country... you've got me so mad!!! Arrrrrgh, I'm going to go and kick a chair.'

IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #152 on: June 18, 2012, 04:17 PM »

Did you watch any of the tennis though?

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #153 on: June 18, 2012, 04:52 PM »

Awwwww!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #154 on: June 18, 2012, 05:44 PM »

David kind of apologized to the linesperson a bit later and tried to help him though it didn't see all that spontaneous.  The guy was bleeding badly - you could tell that David kicked the chair really hard to cause such a bleeding. I just saw the whole thing on CP24.

I am sure the linesperson wouldn't find it all that amusing.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #155 on: June 18, 2012, 06:06 PM »

I can't believe though how biased people are here sometimes. Had this been Federer, we probably wouldn't have heard the end of it. Would be a refreshing change if people were to set aside their biasness and called on the matter based on facts and stayed neutral.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #156 on: June 18, 2012, 06:13 PM »

Biased? Many people here passionately dislike Federer but that's only in context of the fact he appears immune to critism in the media. It doesn't mean we only dislike Federer or even dislike him more than other players.

Anyway, it seems quite an even sided debate. I do admit I'm surprised anyone is offering a defence for Nalbandian after his disgusting attitude.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #157 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38 PM »

If he had made a decent apology and shown some remorse......even maybe offered to by the guy a nice Rolex to compensate, I may have seen it in a different light. However, as it stands, I'm disgusted with him and hope he gets what he deserves! That man looked to be getting on in years and older people do not heal so easily. Leg injuries are notorious for becoming ulcerated in older people and can take years to heal......if at all!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #158 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53 PM »

The gentleman in question was back at work today at Wimbledon as a line judge. I really think we need not to be judge and jury, we don't know what Nalbandian did or said to the line judge later. I would like to suggest that we should think that perhaps David was in shock when he saw the result of his kick to the board and often in situations like that we don't think straight and react well. I do think it was right that he lost all the money, was fined and lost all his points, but do think that getting the police involved is completely wrong. I read that the wood is joined by velcro and although he shouldn't have lashed out  no one would expect it to collapse the way it did. David will have suffered enough humiliation to teach him a lesson which he won't forget in a hurry.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #159 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58 PM »

Fat Dave's always been a bit of a bell. I remember when he was playing in the Masters finals a few years back, his 9-y-o niece was killed in a horrific accident in a lift. He carried on with the tourney, saying something like 'It's tough, but there's not much I can do from here'.
His godchild but yes, pretty bad.

He said, "I mean, I couldn't enjoy the match that way I would like it. Life is like this. I can do nothing from here. I try to push as hard as I can on the court."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-416899/Death-godchild-weighs-heavy-Nalbandian.html
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #160 on: June 18, 2012, 06:59 PM »

We can only go by what we see and hear Michelle and if the linesman doesn't suffer complications, then that's luck and no thanks to David!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #161 on: June 18, 2012, 07:03 PM »

We can only go by what we see and hear Michelle and if the linesman doesn't suffer complications, then that's luck and no thanks to David!
Yes but you did not see and hear what was said later or even what he said to the linesman at the time.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #162 on: June 18, 2012, 07:07 PM »

And neither did you........
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #163 on: June 18, 2012, 07:11 PM »

Yes but you did not see and hear what was said later or even what he said to the linesman at the time.
But what we did see was his apology to the fans, who certainly deserved one, and he failed that miserably. Let's use that as an indicator for how sincere he might have been to the linesman privately.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Queens - The Other Players « Reply #164 on: June 18, 2012, 07:13 PM »

His godchild but yes, pretty bad.

He said, "I mean, I couldn't enjoy the match that way I would like it. Life is like this. I can do nothing from here. I try to push as hard as I can on the court."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-416899/Death-godchild-weighs-heavy-Nalbandian.html

So Djoko continues to play a tournament when his grandfather has just died and he is hailed as a hero for continuing - Nalby continues to play when his God-child has died and he is villified.  Double standards here I think. 

If it had been Fed and not Nalby involved in the incident, I would have had exactly the same reaction - default him yes, fine him yes - report it to the police no!

As for the line judge being 'getting on in years' - I don't think Andrew McDougall would he happy with that label.  His injury couldn't have beent too serious if he was back at work today.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »