Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 105459 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2715 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44 PM »

I've seriously disliked Rafa for some time now.  His endless mind-games are pathetic and his saccherine smile has never cut much ice with me anyway.  It isn't normal to be smiley-smiley all the time.

Totally agree. Can't stand him either. As I have said before I don't trust him. His behaviour in that Rossel match was appalling. The knee excuse only came out after he had lost. I still don't totally believe in the saga of his knees. He has come back so many times to win after his knees were so bad, and how does he know this far in advance that he is not going to be fit?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2716 on: August 15, 2012, 10:11 PM »

What? You mean a week and a half in advance? That's nothing at all, the physio will easily be able to assess if he will be fit or not in that time period.

Are you suggesting he'd really miss a Slam just to prove an injury? What strange logic.

There seems to be a lot of cynicism on here, be it about Rafa's knees or Federer's comments, people looking for something where there is nothing. Now I can understand when it is brought up, and he goes on to play fine, but in this case and in 2009 when he's missing big tournaments and more importantly Grand Slams, it's quite evident that the injury does exist.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2717 on: August 15, 2012, 10:15 PM »

I'm really sorry that Rafa won't be at the US Open - the tournament will miss him and I'm sure Andy will too.  I hate to see any dedicate sportsman sidelined through injury.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2718 on: August 15, 2012, 10:43 PM »

What? You mean a week and a half in advance? That's nothing at all, the physio will easily be able to assess if he will be fit or not in that time period.

Are you suggesting he'd really miss a Slam just to prove an injury? What strange logic.

There seems to be a lot of cynicism on here, be it about Rafa's knees or Federer's comments, people looking for something where there is nothing. Now I can understand when it is brought up, and he goes on to play fine, but in this case and in 2009 when he's missing big tournaments and more importantly Grand Slams, it's quite evident that the injury does exist.

I know I join in the Roger bashing at times lol but I know he's a pretty decent bloke. Again the people saying Rafa'a just faking to gain advantage over rivals- yeah that's why he got voted in for the award last year voted for the players by the players for the one they view as the most sportsmanlike Rolling Eyes
Gutted Rafa won't be playing, the best need to play against the best and that means Rafa. He brings such a lot to the sport and I hope he's able to get back playing soon yes
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2719 on: August 16, 2012, 07:43 AM »

Sad day for Rafa, his fans and tennis. No point denying he is an incredibly charismatic player.
I didn't like his style of play at first, but he has changed and is much more pro-active. He's an excellent volleyer but seldom uses it as much as he could.
Will have to change drastically now though if he wants to continue his career. Those knees can't stand all that running.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2720 on: August 16, 2012, 10:53 AM »

Stand corrected about the physio, but still don't trust or like the guy. Having major joint problems myself, I am inevitably cynical about the number of times they have been so awful, and yet he has bounced back to win again with no sign of injury. In my experience chronic koint problems don't work that way, but equally I have no real knowledge of these things. A bit of the boy who cried wolf syndrome. Still suspect there is more going on than meets the eye. Perhaps he is just burned out or the OCD traits are developing into a greater issue.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2721 on: August 16, 2012, 02:05 PM »

Masaka, that's an interesting idea. Rafa must be intensely superstious/OCD, I know many players are superstitious but his rituals are OTT. I wonder if, when you go through all that, and you lose any way, if that kind of knocks u right off balance.
Having said that, I've no doubt there's something up with his knees.  Years ago Cash predicted he wouldn't be able to play beyond his mid twenties with that paricular style of play. He also looks heavy to me which can't help the knees.  He hasn't got an athletic kind of body which would lend itself all that running.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2722 on: August 16, 2012, 04:39 PM »

I don't mean to bash someone who's down at the moment but I do have trouble trusting Nadal at times. He can also be a bit too competitive for my taste. I still like him though because he seems nice off court and never shorthanded when it comes to complimenting his opponents. Well mostly.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2723 on: August 16, 2012, 04:46 PM »

Masaka, that's an interesting idea. Rafa must be intensely superstious/OCD, I know many players are superstitious but his rituals are OTT. I wonder if, when you go through all that, and you lose any way, if that kind of knocks u right off balance.
Having said that, I've no doubt there's something up with his knees.  Years ago Cash predicted he wouldn't be able to play beyond his mid twenties with that paricular style of play. He also looks heavy to me which can't help the knees.  He hasn't got an athletic kind of body which would lend itself all that running.

Fair points - I haven't been following long enough to realise that. Equally he has gone out of his way to encourage Mr M, and congratulate him on his victories so perhaps he is not all bad. Given his career so far, perhaps it would be good for him to call it a day and do some other things with his life. He has nothing to prove, Nd by the sound of it, the infamous Uncle Toni is not the nicest of guys.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2724 on: August 16, 2012, 05:32 PM »

I don't mean to bash someone who's down at the moment but I do have trouble trusting Nadal at times. He can also be a bit too competitive for my taste. I still like him though because he seems nice off court and never shorthanded when it comes to complimenting his opponents. Well mostly.

Rafa's one of the good guys. Never doubt it. When he acts all tough (eg Rosol), I can't help feeling that Uncle Toni is exerting his considerable influence.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2725 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37 PM »

I've always liked Rafa. He and Andy (and Nole) appear to genuinely like each other too. The only thing I've disliked about him is when he's beaten Andy.
I truly wish the best for him. Tennis is poorer without his presence.
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2726 on: August 16, 2012, 05:45 PM »

I like Rafa. I wish him all the best in his recovery. Would have loved to have seen an  Andy vs Rafa match, especially the way Andy's been playing.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2727 on: August 16, 2012, 06:02 PM »

Rafa's one of the good guys. Never doubt it. When he acts all tough (eg Rosol), I can't help feeling that Uncle Toni is exerting his considerable influence.

I find that highly debatable. Rafa strikes me as a very mature guy and perfectly capable of making decisions on his own. You can’t make someone competitive this much unless you have it in you. It’s an innate trait and not impressionable at all. I guess what I am getting at is that Nadal has to be responsible for at least some of his actions on court. For example, I just don’t see Andy deliberately bumping into his opponent during a match where he is losing no matter how mean his coach Lendl is and how low he gets. 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2728 on: August 16, 2012, 06:03 PM »

I'm still waiting for a rematch between the two after Tokyo. Especially since Andy has improved so much since then. They've somehow avoided each other all year.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2729 on: August 16, 2012, 06:10 PM »

It’s an innate trait and not impressionable at all. I guess what I am getting at is that Nadal has to be responsible for at least some of his actions on court. For example, I just don’t see Andy deliberately bumping into his opponent during a match where he is losing no matter how mean his coach Lendl is and how low he gets. 
Hmm.. not sure about that. I don't recall Andy ever deliberately hitting a ball straight at an opponent (Fed's head or Tsonga's nethers) pre-Lendl.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »